Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Ive got a 93 TD42 with 380kish on the clock and in the last 4 months has become a real pain to start again when warm (driving to the shops then restarting 15 mins later etc).
After doing some research I replaced the glow plugs and she now starts fantastic when cold and has gotten a little better on the restart but I still have my hand on the key for 3-6 secs.
Starter motor sounds strong so I dont think that is the issue and ive pre pumped the fuel filter primer a few times to make sure shes getting enough fuel on start (doesn't move so im fairly sure she doesn't have a leak).
If I remove then temp sensor that tells the glow circuit how hot the engine is and pre glow for a bit longer she restarts fine. The temp sensor itself is operating correctly, correct resistance at the right temps etc.

Im at a loss as to what could be causing this. I could install a switch that lets me pre glow for longer but id like to know what could be the cause and fix it. Any ideas? :)

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,613 Posts
Sounds odd, when hot shouldn't need the glow plugs at I would have thought? The glow plug controller is a green box the size of your fist behind driver's kick panel on a 42 GQ, do you by any chance have a mate with same model with whom you could swap controller for a day or two to see if that fixes it?

My magic box konked out after a drowning once upon a year, couldn't afford a new one back then so I bypassed it and just put in a momentary switch that I pushed for 3 to 5 seconds before cold starts and worked great. Then one day I reconnected green box to amuse myself a few months later and wouldn't ya know it, it worked fine, all Lazarus spec.

If need be you can get aftermarket glow controllers from Bogaard these days too, I've never tried one so can't comment on them though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have just had this problem with my 1996 GQ took it to abloke in Brendale one look and said after market advance timing on bottom right of pump, held on by 2 10mm bolts,bought one from Denco Diesel now 1/2 crank fires straightaway cost for plate and o ring approx.$45 fitted $140 worth a look.
cheers Honest
PS has helped economy as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts