Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I posted this here as it can relate to gq td's as well as gu td's and didn't want to miss any advice/opinions....

Long time lurker on this site, I appreciate the help I have gleaned over the last couple of years for my beloved wagon despite the fact I havn't really posted anything.

I am after opinions regarding replacement heads for a td42. The engine in question is a turboed silvertop td in a 89 wagon.

The head is cracked across the number 4 combustion chamber, hence shagged. From my research here I am aware that any td42 head will fit this block. My question is in regard to aftermarket vs. factory heads. Apparently the factory Ti heads are the ducks guts, however the only ones i can find are from patrolapart for nearly 4 grand. Obviously I can get a aftermarket head with turbo pre comps A LOT cheaper than this.

I am a fan of factory gear and will use it most of the time, but a nearly three fold price increase does start to make me think about other options.........

I guess what this boils down to is has anyone here used an aftermarket head, and would any of the forum regulars do this? or is there another option im not thinking of here? does anyone have an unwanted factory head lying around I can buy lol........

thanks for reading

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get genuine bare head for under 2 if all you other bits are ok
Hi mate, thanks so much for replying.

where the hell can you find a genuine bare head for under 2??? I have searched the net high and low and cant find **** apart from what I posted above. All my other parts are fine, I am going to get the injectors done anyway as i am not sure why its cracked (didnt get hot as far as i know).

Happy for any leads, thanks

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread but I am trying to sell a silvertop head in good condition atm, how much are they worth/what are people paying for 2nd hand n/a td42 heads ?

Have you seen the Lewis Engines website? They have a couple of options for heads .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hijack thread but I am trying to sell a silvertop head in good condition atm, how much are they worth/what are people paying for 2nd hand n/a td42 heads ?

Have you seen the Lewis Engines website? They have a couple of options for heads .
Not sure how much they are worth, I would pay more for a genuine one but its all a risk until its been crack tested so dunno about that.

Yeah I have seen the Lewis Engines website, was talking to him via email yesterday. He hasn't replied after I pointed out he quoted me 50 bucks more for the stiffer valve springs than what was listed on the site and asked about warranty. So he doesn't get my money, simple as that.

Thanks for your reply. Why are you selling that head?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try Patrolapart and Nizzbits for a genuine bare head.
Thanks, I will give them a call but not holding my breath as the only head on patrolapart site is the one for 3800 and nizzbits have nothing listed but nothing ventured nothing gained i guess.

fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,656 Posts
Patrolapart listed 2 about a fortnight ago, 1 about a week ago, but no stock at the moment. I'd call them anyway.

Last I heard, Nissan have 5 on a boat to AUS, but most are spoken for. Try Garry at Nizzbits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Patrolapart listed 2 about a fortnight ago, 1 about a week ago, but no stock at the moment. I'd call them anyway.

Last I heard, Nissan have 5 on a boat to AUS, but most are spoken for. Try Garry at Nizzbits.
I rang patrolapart yesterday, apparently all they have is the one already discussed above. The bloke I spoke to reckons they are not getting any more in but im not sure who he was he could have been the cleaner for all I know.

Have emailed nizzbits (couldn't find a number to call on), no reply as yet.

I know I can get an aftermarket one easily, I can afford that factory one above i'm just not convinced its worth x3 what an aftermarket one is. I guess that is what I am really asking. Who assembles the patrolapart heads anyway, who is doing the seats?

I appreciate the help everyone that has posted has put up. If someone can make this decision for me i'd appreciate it....hahaha

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
Selling because it’s a spare I don’t need, it’s off a motor with a bottom end issue..
Now we all know genuine is best over aftermarket the majority of the time but with all these aftermarket options available surely one of them has to be on par With genuine quality ?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Just wait for nizzbits there are both ti and t heads around but freight will add a couple of hundred

·
Registered
All work done the hard way with blood, sweat and beers
283 Posts
Could t you buy a secondhand head (say, @MeanGQ’s) and have it crack tested and fully reco’d? That way you’d end up with a genuine head and far cheaper than what Patrolapart are quoting...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Selling because it’s a spare I don’t need, it’s off a motor with a bottom end issue..
Now we all know genuine is best over aftermarket the majority of the time but with all these aftermarket options available surely one of them has to be on par With genuine quality ?
Yeah that was what I was wanting to know, is there a better aftermarket one than another? I bet they all come out of the same factory in china though.....

Let me know how much you want for yours, unfortunately its on the other side of the country though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could t you buy a secondhand head (say, @MeanGQ’s) and have it crack tested and fully reco’d? That way you’d end up with a genuine head and far cheaper than what Patrolapart are quoting...
That is a good idea and I had thought of that myself. Im either retarded or looking in the wrong places cause I haven't had any luck finding a second hand genuine one yet either.

I'm nearly at the point of buying an aftermarket blank and building it up myself with good stuff (comps/valves/springs) and seeing how it goes...

·
Registered
All work done the hard way with blood, sweat and beers
283 Posts
That is a good idea and I had thought of that myself. Im either retarded or looking in the wrong places cause I haven't had any luck finding a second hand genuine one yet either.

I'm nearly at the point of buying an aftermarket blank and building it up myself with good stuff (comps/valves/springs) and seeing how it goes...
All good man, do whatever you feel is best... I paid about $1500-1600 not that long ago to have my head stripped, tested and completely rebuilt including parts and labour if that’s any help. Hope you can get something sorted 👍🏻

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would definitely go with what you said regarding building an aftermarket one up. By the way , I’m sure it has been posted before but what are the differences between n/a td42 head and factory td42t head ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good man, do whatever you feel is best... I paid about $1500-1600 not that long ago to have my head stripped, tested and completely rebuilt including parts and labour if that’s any help. Hope you can get something sorted 👍🏻
Thanks dude, wish mine wasn't cracked as that is what I would do too. All good, giving me the ****s not driving it already she'll be back on the road soon no doubt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I were in your shoes I would definitely go with what you said regarding building an aftermarket one up. By the way , I’m sure it has been posted before but what are the differences between n/a td42 head and factory td42t head ?
Thanks man, that's probably what I'm gonna do. I believe the differences are only in the pre-combustion chambers which can be changed pretty easily while rebuilding the head so unless my research is wrong the 'casting' of the heads from early to late is all the same. Happy to be corrected on this.

thanks to you and everyone else in this thread who replied

1 - 20 of 22 Posts