Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Patrollers,
This is my first time posting on this forum, and I have checked the threads on injector pump leaks but none seem to cover my issue.
I own 2 TD42 GQ's, 1 is an 89 DX that my father has had since brand new 450thou on the clock and still going strong, I have recently aquired a tidy 1993 ST with 235thou on the clock.
I love GQ's and hope to be driving them for many years to come.

So, I have just developed a fuel leak from the injector pump, from the rear in the middle of the 6 delivery valves/pipes, it is quite a steady leak when idling. See attached diagram

I suppose I am after some advice
has anyone encountered this before?
could it just be a seal as discussed in other threads?
or am I looking at a full rebuild?

I am a mechanical fitter, so I dont mind having a go, but I would not consider taking the pump apart ( leave that to the pros )

Any help would be appreciated
PAT

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Jonesy, so its not too much of a headache to put a seal kit through em?

·
Registered
nissan
344 Posts
best thing to do would be to get the I.P refurbished by a shop, will save you allot of hassle especially if your not clued up on dismantling and putting it back together.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
leak.

fitting in middle of 6 injector pipes is a blanking bolt with an o ring under it.it is used to screw in a DTI to participate injection pump timing. Simple fix could be to replace o ring. This is not a high pressure area only transfer internal pressure. Also other common leaks known to gQ's is the top cover paper gasket . i have had this replaced 10 years ago . I am a diesel mechanic and even i hand/ ball'ed this to the guru's. Cost less than $185.00 i think . A lot could go wrong if you don't know what your doing. Can be done in situ. If it runs ok ,no black smoke starts good .fuel economy ok and doesn't run on keep your hard earned dough in your pocket . If you go for an overhaul you won';t get change from $1200.00 and then it is advised to put injectors too at about $300/set. I have had o ring perish too on the auto/advance valve underneath the pump between pump and cylinder block . 2 bolts retain this . 1 large oring and spring. little fiddly but ok. Be sure its nothing simple b4 condemning. I spent 1k on pump and 300 on injectors with no real improvement to running. My only reasons were engine was out getting turbo fitted,rear seal welding to r/h fender under battery . oh and was on 500'000km original pump. Guy told me he'd never seen such a good pump for the mileage. Only required low pressure transfer pump /vanes.
good luck sorry for going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts