Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just curious really as to how many years and k's you have got from your injector pump on a TD42 before requiring a rebuild. Trying to get a gauge of what I might be up for over the coming years and how much to expect to spend. Currently got a 2001 TD42T GU with 160k on it.

Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
with clean fuel (replacing fuel filters regularly. i see no dramas with 300000kms or more. the biggest thing is australias very poor diesel and its lubricating properties. with a small dose of something like chemtech diesel fuel additive should reach a pretty high number before any work is required.
as the chemtech adds a lubricant to the fuel again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
with clean fuel (replacing fuel filters regularly. i see no dramas with 300000kms or more. the biggest thing is australias very poor diesel and its lubricating properties. with a small dose of something like chemtech diesel fuel additive should reach a pretty high number before any work is required.
as the chemtech adds a lubricant to the fuel again.
Would this be the same for an inline pump?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
TD42 in a 1992(ish) maverick, rotary pump, started weeping from the little side plate at 220,000km.
TD27-T in a 1991 terrano, rotary boost compensated pump started leaking lots of diesel all over the place at 190,000.
TD42 early grey one unknown history but probably 250,000km plus leaked quite a bit.

dirty fuel wont cause leaks, just really bad performance.

TD27-T pump cost something like $1600 for a stock rebuild.
High performance build of a TD42 pump is close to $2500

What causes leaks is they changed the fuel composition on us a few years ago. This causes the old seal material to fail. I don't seem to have much luck with fuel pumps.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
22 years, and 345 thousand kms later, the pump on the GQ shortys still pumpin..

im guessing she's not as dry as she used to b on the outside,
but the old girl ain't leaking.. very slow weap.

this better not jinx me..
haha

I'll start to worry when the old donk stops going bang!
then she'll be treated to a full rebuild.

·
Registered
nissan
514 Posts
My GQ is coming up to 330K and the pump is fine. No leaks, idles smoothly.....touch wood. I do run an additive for extra lubrication..

When is a pump required to be rebuilt?? When it leaks? What other signs do you look out for? Have always wondered this.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
My GQ is coming up to 330K and the pump is fine. No leaks, idles smoothly.....touch wood. I do run an additive for extra lubrication..

When is a pump required to be rebuilt?? When it leaks? What other signs do you look out for? Have always wondered this.
Big sign would be a loss of power. Of course that could be a number of things unrelated to the pump. The only way to know for sure is to pull it and put it on a test bench. If the tests bench test shows there are problems, then it gets pulled apart and inspected for wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.