Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
Looking to advance the inline pump on my td42. Just wondering what a good timing degree would be good. Just chasing a slight power increase and bit more economy. And it's never been checked.
I guess the other question is do I just need to get a hold of another fuel line bend it and cut at 45 degrees for the drip test when timing.
Thanks all

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Hi Ben,

I'm ashamed to say I've not done mine properly - yet ! I just lined it up with the factory mark and it's been fine, I do want to check it out properly though, but it's one of those things blah blah etc !! Regret not having a play when the engine was out.

Yepp. do the drip test, need to remove the innards out of No1 delivery valve, fit drip tube, set crank to timing mark, push pump towards engine and slowly bring it back until the drips stop. If you want it advanced a bit, move it away from the engine a touch more - how much, anyone's guess ! Don't forget, every degree of pump advance is equivalent to 2 deg of crank advance, so go easy. One issue is access to the back locking nuts and having to remove the fuel lines - not easy if you want to play. That said, I think you'll find the factory marks bob on, so a pencil line from that will give you a degree of advance (using the KISS methodology !).

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah makes sense tt.
im thinking of yeah just going a bees di ck more and see how it goes.
so nobody has an exact crank timing degree to time these pumps up?
otherwise il just have a little play with it all.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The timing mark is on the crank. You will have a tdc and a timing mark. Best to set it to the timing mark, maybe advance it a little, lots of timing doesn't make a big difference in power.

Andy

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah not looking for a big timing adjustment just would like a tad more power if possible. Might just have a play with 1 or 2 degrees extra.
Do inline pumps have similar to a max fuel screw just to increase a TAD. Just looking to give her a little bit of a mid life freshen up.
I know I won't get much but a alight power increase would be nice.
Thanks

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Hmmm, I do not have an inline pump. The VE pumps are simple to check and adjust.

Some reading has convinced me the pump timing is set for emissions not for best power/economy and a more advanced setting will be best power. Additional reading on the subject of diesel pump timing also mentions exhaust smell (emissions) and the more advanced the more NOX which is nose detectable. I believe I have experienced this.

With VE pumps one could just advance the timing a bit and test the change but I always want to know where the timing was to start from. If adjusting the inline pump timing is a bit of a dogs breakfast why wouldn't you just bump it a bit then drive it?

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
It's my assumption too that timing is sub optimal to reduce NOX emissions. Timing is definatley retarded to reduce NOX but it also reduces efficiency and power.

Like anything there will be an upper limit to how far you can advance the timing but if as I suspect it's sub optimal in the first place then there should be noticeable improvements.

If you have an EGT gauge you should see a drop in temps.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah might just move her up a touch and see how it goes. It's not entirely hard to do just. Bit of time involved. And yeah they are normally retarded hence a bit of advance needed just don't wanna over do it. Oh well think il mark it and just bump up a touch and see how it goes. Should be better.
And Na no egt gauge as it's Na ATM and I see no real need for one. Thought it would be handy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Experiment and measure, that will be the only true way of finding out. You may be deliving into unknown territory hence not too many answers.

Andy

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Ben, fuel quantity is set by that screw at the back of the governor - the one that sets the position of the stop / run / start lever. it's called the smoke screw.

Let us know how you get on. It's a lot of faffing around as you have to do remove the fuel lines, if you don't remove them the pump is pretty much fixed in place !

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i had a quick look at it on the saturday and yeah went il have to then rebend the lines ever so slightly. so think i might leave it till a weekend i can have a good play round. and ah ok. might even have a slight play with the smoke screw and see what i can do.
i think the calibration in the pump could be out a little though ie each stroke of the pump is a different displacement. but not to sure. wanna give her a tune first and see what happens from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts