Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Brains Trust,
Surprise, surprise another td42 Knocking thread. I've had a look all through the forum, google, Facebook and quizzed my local gurus. Havent come up with a solid match. Closest I came to was a video on TD42 Torque and it was a fresh rebuild and had developed this knock after the rebuild and he still to this day hasn't found out what the knock is.
To explain the knock...
In my opinion it is quieter when engine is cold.
It is quieter when in neutral and no pressure on clutch. And by that I mean even the slightest pedal pressure increases the knock drastically.
It is quieter or gone at 1500 or above rpm. Not sure if it's gone or if engine noise outweighs the knock.
Things I've done chasing the knock
new pump, new injectors, new injector return line, valve clearances, replaced oil with good quality stuff.
Engine belongs to a 91' GQ so silvertop N/A. I've been told it is a "CHaRacTeRisTic" not happy with that answer because I've experienced 4 other td42s and none remotely sound like this.
If any of use are a part of the Td42 Torque page. Please search Zac Walvin and his video is the video I've mentioned above.
Car is my one and only thanks to the work ute being rolled by a mate, and therefore my daily. So happy to try anything to identify it, that won't disable her for too long.
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Brains Trust,
Surprise, surprise another td42 Knocking thread. I've had a look all through the forum, google, Facebook and quizzed my local gurus. Havent come up with a solid match. Closest I came to was a video on TD42 Torque and it was a fresh rebuild and had developed this knock after the rebuild and he still to this day hasn't found out what the knock is.
To explain the knock...
It is quieter when in neutral and no pressure on clutch. And by that I mean even the slightest pedal pressure increases the knock drastically.
It is quieter or gone at 1500 or above rpm. Not sure if it's gone or if engine noise outweighs the knock.
new pump, new injectors, new injector return line, valve clearances, replaced oil with good quality stuff.
Engine belongs to a 91' GQ so silvertop N/A. I've been told it is a "CHaRacTeRisTic" not happy with that answer because I've experienced 4 other td42s and none remotely sound like this.
If any of use are a part of the Td42 Torque page. Please search Zac Walvin and his video is the video I've mentioned above.
Car is my one and only thanks to the work ute being rolled by a mate, and therefore my daily. So happy to try anything to identify it, that won't disable her for too long.
Thanks
Check the harmonic balancer. Actually take it off and check the woodruff key also.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
346 Posts
Hey Brains Trust,
To explain the knock...
Thanks
Interestingly I have the same symptons with my ZD30 CRD. It started after having a new SMF and clutch fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly I have the same symptons with my ZD30 CRD. It started after having a new SMF and clutch fitted.
This engine was converted into a gu and the clutch was replaced while out of the donor car. Can't remember it sounding like this before I pulled it but has been like it since the clutch but I assumed it wasn't related as too many other variables but makes me wonder now.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
205 Posts
It might be worth checking Crank end float.

Not exactly sure how easy this might be to do while the engine is in the car but could possibly access the flywheel enough to get a tyre lever or similar through the starter motor hole.

I once had a small black Chev which had worn the crank thrust bearing so much the crank counterweights were rubbing on the block!

Hope you sort it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might be worth checking Crank end float.

Not exactly sure how easy this might be to do while the engine is in the car but could possibly access the flywheel enough to get a tyre lever or similar through the starter motor hole.

I once had a small black Chev which had worn the crank thrust bearing so much the crank counterweights were rubbing on the block!

Hope you sort it.
Thanks mate will see what I can do to check this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts