Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,

I had a Holley red on my Gu patrol for a few years, and it's finally died. Upon stripping it down the inside of the pump was fully of gunk and stuff, the gauze filter had even blown a hole through itself.
I've replaced this with a Carter 4600 which so far, is alot quieter and seems to work perfect.

does anyone have an inline filter pre-lift pump? any suggestions what to run? 3/8 fuel lines? or any sort of filter.

regards,

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,284 Posts
G'day guys,

I had a Holley red on my Gu patrol for a few years, and it's finally died. Upon stripping it down the inside of the pump was fully of gunk and stuff, the gauze filter had even blown a hole through itself.
I've replaced this with a Carter 4600 which so far, is alot quieter and seems to work perfect.

does anyone have an inline filter pre-lift pump? any suggestions what to run? 3/8 fuel lines? or any sort of filter.

regards,
I have had 2 Carters, a 4600 and a 4601, the only reason I changed was I wanted a higher back end pressure so installed the 4601 and the 4600 is on the shelf, the 4601 has been in for quite a few years, maybe 2014/5 and done a lot of outback trips picking up all sorts of fuel, the previous 4600 had a lot of use and no issues there either. When I fitted it I made a conscious decision to not have pre filtering, there is absolutely nothing before the pump. Over the years I have blocked at least 2 genuine fuel filters while out on the road (always carry a spare just in case) but the Carter carries on regardless, I am still seeing exactly the same fuel pressures as the day I installed it 10.2psi at 100k in Cruise on flat ground, that is my benchmark, if it drops below 8.5psi (where I set pressure gauge alarm) at WOT I know it is time to change the genuine fuel filter, so that 8.5psi is the benchmark for filter change, not K's.
My 2 cents worth from my experience, make of that what you will.

Fuel lines on mine are 10mm.

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had 2 Carters, a 4600 and a 4601, the only reason I changed was I wanted a higher back end pressure so installed the 4601 and the 4600 is on the shelf, the 4601 has been in for quite a few years, maybe 2014/5 and done a lot of outback trips picking up all sorts of fuel, the previous 4600 had a lot of use and no issues there either. When I fitted it I made a conscious decision to not have pre filtering, there is absolutely nothing before the pump. Over the years I have blocked at least 2 genuine fuel filters while out on the road (always carry a spare just in case) but the Carter carries on regardless, I am still seeing exactly the same fuel pressures as the day I installed it 10.2psi at 100k in Cruise on flat ground, that is my benchmark, if it drops below 8.5psi (where I set pressure gauge alarm) at WOT I know it is time to change the genuine fuel filter, so that 8.5psi is the benchmark for filter change, not K's.
My 2 cents worth from my experience, make of that what you will.

Fuel lines on mine are 10mm.
Thanks Geeyoutoo, I was actually reading alot about your 4601 pump install and was contemplating between the two. I just heard of alot more guys running the 4600 without issue, and not many people seemed to be running the 4601. Had i known you were running it so long, i may have gone down that path with a fuel pres reg. It's quite promising that you haven't had a carter pump clog yet.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will run no pre-filter and see how I go. I got 4 or 5 years out of the holley red which apparently isn't even suited to diesel.....

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,284 Posts
Thanks Geeyoutoo, I was actually reading alot about your 4601 pump install and was contemplating between the two. I just heard of alot more guys running the 4600 without issue, and not many people seemed to be running the 4601. Had i known you were running it so long, i may have gone down that path with a fuel pres reg. It's quite promising that you haven't had a carter pump clog yet.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will run no pre-filter and see how I go. I got 4 or 5 years out of the holley red which apparently isn't even suited to diesel.....
The Bosch VP and VE can run 16psi up the back no problem, but with only a 10mm feed line you won't achieve that, the highest I see is 13psi on startup but only for a few seconds before the Carter internal regulator kicks in, I do not have an external regulator. The 4600 runs out of pressure to the IP by around 2500rpm, that is not to say there is vacuum along the line as you would without one so it still has a positive effect. I think I was the first here to put the 4601 behind a VP44, but I had done a lot of research and found a guy in the States pushing 18psi into the Dodge VP44 via 1/2" lines and a Fass pump, so I took heart from that and went ahead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts