Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at turboing my gq and was talking to a bloke at work about it, he sternly told me to be carefull because the bottom end will bw different eg the con rods is this true or are they the same motor?

Or whats the difference between turbo non turbo?

Cheers charlie

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
X2 as am also wondering the same... I was told also that as long as boost was not over 10 pounds it should not be detrimental...

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
i believe he is referring to the difference between the silver-top and black-top engine and the risks. broken down, silver-top is heavy duty. especialy in the bottom end where everything is bigger. the black-top was a lighter build, made with (smaller crank???) thus making it able to climb revs faster. if you plan on turboing the silver-top you wont have a problem..black-tops are a bit more finicky though as it is more likely to grenade. the diference between is the colour on the rocker-cover (engine top) though to my understanding, there is no other external difference. i believe the Denco kits recommend 8psi...but could be wrong. do your homework, get lots of opinoins.

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
i believe he is referring to the difference between the silver-top and black-top engine and the risks. broken down, silver-top is heavy duty. especialy in the bottom end where everything is bigger. the black-top was a lighter build, made with (smaller crank???) thus making it able to climb revs faster. if you plan on turboing the silver-top you wont have a problem..black-tops are a bit more finicky though as it is more likely to grenade. the diference between is the colour on the rocker-cover (engine top) though to my understanding, there is no other external difference. i believe the Denco kits recommend 8psi...but could be wrong. do your homework, get lots of opinoins.

yes you are right, the black tops came into production from 94 onwards and patrols were a mixed bag of black tops and silver tops. i think the only main difference is the wall thickness and pistons.

so if you have a blacktop you are a little limited with the boost you can run. however if you have a silver top go nuts and have fun!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so ive read the link that was posted and its as clear as mud lol im unsure of what to follow

im not chasing massive power so "hopefully" acording to most posts by everyone i will be ok to run
12psi ish with a topmount intercooler not sure of what type yet probably just a air-air cooler.

will be doing all the work myself besides the tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts