Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hizit lads,

My GU Pickup is a 2007 model using a bog-standard TD42 N/A motor, and i've put 217 000km on it all over africa without a signle moments problems,... ever.

The motor still pulls hard through all the gears and there is ZERO smoke weather its 46'c or -17'c,... not a puff ,..ever.

However, i have noticed a very very slight decline in fuel economy over the last 2 years or so, even though it has run the same gear for the last several years, ie:

285 BFG KM2
3" TJM Lift
Front and Rear Bars
Alu Canopy
Alu Roof Rack
Plus some other usual stuff.

The motor has always returned roughly 7.0 - 7.5 km/l (13.2 - 14.2 Litres per 100km) but now returns roughly 6.2 - 6.8 km/l ( +/- 15.3 Litres per 100km)

What could the cause of this decline be...?

Here are some facts about my vehicle

* Serviced every 7500km
* Valve Clearances NEVER been reset (possible answer?)
* Every part of the engine still as is from Factory
* Pump still as is from factory
* Banjo filter clean as a whistle
* No signs of Exhaust holes at all, and boxes seem good, still original exhaust.

Please shed some light on this for me, i'm intrigued as to why the consumption has increased to such a degree.

Regards
Russ.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Injectors need replacing ? Try running a fuel system treatment in the tank

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
X2 with what sydo said. If injectors have never been done they are well over due,, should be looked at every 100k. Valve clearences are very important, They cost nothing to reset, so I would be doing them. TD42 should be serviced every 5000klm(not that this would cause the problem)Make sure it has clean air and fuel filters. Pump should be ok at those klms, but could fit an electric pump near fuel tank to see if it makes a difference(search lift pump install).

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lads,.. good advice that is.

I did ask the forum a while back about injectors but most here said that if the motor is running good to then leave well alone.

Think its time to have hem check and replace tips if needs be.

As for valve clearances,.. surely i could do this myself,... however, just need to know if i need to purchase a new tappet cover gasket or any other consumable for the reinstall ?
And can i do them with a feeler gauge?

Regards
Russ.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Injectors are cheap at $400 here for 6. Feeler gauges yes. Rocker cover gasket yes

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
All good advice there.

Let us know how you go after you do a bit of work on it.

I was over in SA (and Botswana and Namibia and Zim) last year and saw very few Patrols. Are they common there? I reckon they's be perfect for that part of the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts