Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at the Ryco catalouge and it says for the TD42 turbo diesel motor, the part numbers Z503 and Z416 are applicable. (I have a 2004 GUII ute)

I've been using Z503 previously. I had a look and at them both and it looks like the Z416 has some kind of internal bypass system where as the Z503 does not.

So which filter is best to be used? Should both filters be the same? They cost fairly similar but the Z416 is larger in length. I've heard some people use Z9 filters which from memory are much larger again than either of the other two. I've also heard that the front filter needs to be the bypass filter (Z416?) and the back filter can be the normal type (Z503?).

·
Registered
nissan
8,978 Posts
Nissan used different filters on TD42s of different years, either 2 x Z503s or a Z416 and a Z503.

Fit what you need to.

I personally am ditching my single Z416 and running two Z503s and a Baldwin B50 bypass filter, gotta keep the BB turbo in good oil.

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I assume that the 416 goes in the front spot (towards front of engine) and the 503 goes in the back spot?

What happens if I were to fit a filter in the front spot that does not have an internal bypass like the 416 does (like a 503?)

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I can tell you that on my Y60 Safari they are two different threads. The larger thread semi-bypass filter is also the first in line (closest to the rad).

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
Pretty sure nissan can tell you what you need by looking up your VIN.
My '01 uses both types.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
from memory
2001 and 2002 uses 2x different

pre 2001 and then 2003 onwards uses 2x same

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found out that my 04 GU2 has 2 of hte 3/4" threads. Which is a z503 thread and not a z416.

One other thing I read on here is that some guys are using Z9 filters in place of the Z503. Is this normal or recommended? I notice that a Z503 is about $25 and a Z9 about $7.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using different filters from what the filter manufacturers suggest.

From what I can tell, most non-genuine filter manufacturers obtain the specs, or reverse engineers the genuine ones and makes the equivilent. If you use something different, you are asking for trouble.

Say for instance the Z9 didn't filter as finely, then larger bits would get through. And on the flip side if it filtered too well it would clog quickly and raise oil pressure and bypass the filter leaving no filtration what so ever.

Granted I have not looked at the specs of these 2 filters.

I have a '99 TD42T and it uses the 416 and 503.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
id imagine ryco only have one type of filter paper for all their run of the mill filters so i cannot see any difference there.
yeah as said they are both different threads so it will either fit 2 of the same of both different but what ever fits use.
and also you will probably find ryco have a primary filter for that model but there is a few others that will fit and do the job just fine.
alot of ac delco filters and valvoline have 2 fitment typres for one vehicle

·
Registered
103 Posts
from memory
2001 and 2002 uses 2x different

pre 2001 and then 2003 onwards uses 2x same
I had a 2000 model and it had 2 different filters. Why they went down that road is anyones guess. I believe they changed them to the same for each when the intercooled version came out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
362 Posts
99 model two 503's. I use one ebay special and one ryco. keep the costs down.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,687 Posts
I have a '00 td42t with the 2 different filters z503 (though I use z115) and z416.
My understanding is the z416 is a bypass filter.
I change the oil (delo 400) and both filters every 5k km.
My question is do I need to change the bypass filter (z416) every time, or can I do it every 2nd change (10k km) without harming the engine?
The full flow (z115) I will still be swapping out every 5k km.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,687 Posts
Thanks mate. I might try leaving the bypass in next change. I'm still going to swap the full flow though.
They are old tech engines that dump alot of soot in the oil. I figure the full flow at least cops a fair bit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts