Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TD42 oil filters - removing one for a bypass filter

Some TD42's have two filters the same, and some have two different filters.

On the engines with two different types, what are the differences between them? Is one a bypass filter?

My engine has two Z115's. Is the oil flow and pressure the same to each filter, or is one different to the other?

My plan is to replace one filter with a spin on adapter to be the oil feed and return for a remote bypass filter such as the Baldwin B50. This will mean I end up with two filters instead of three, where one is superfluous anyway. I have figured out what parts I need to do this, just need to sort out which filter I can remove.

·
Registered
nissan
303 Posts
what are the engine types that have different filters?
i use 2x z115 on my td42

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
the only td42s with different filter that im aware off are the earlier td42t engines. and the different filter is a bypass filter of sorts. the front one is the different one. as for pressures and what not i cannot say. but id say its pretty similar one to the other.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
GQ TD42 NA '88 to '97 uses two the same, Ryco z115 x2, for instance.
GU TD42 NA 5/98 to'03 " " " " Ryco z503 x2 " "
GU TD42T 5/99 to '05 uses two different filters. Not sure why.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Righto, we are getting somewhere, thanks guys. This is good info.

So the front filter location is the designated spot for a bypass filter, at least on the early models.

Total Filth, can you confirm which filter is the small one, and whether it fits on the front or rear please?

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think they have a different thread so you cant swap big and small
Interesting.

If that is correct then the housing must be different between models. I wonder if the oil supply is different between the two?

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Righto I have some more info. I Googled Z416 filters and came up with a thread on another forum which explained the differences between filter types. The Z416 appears to be a bypass type filter as mentioned, but the interesting part of the thread is a post by Truckster:

Truckster (Vic) posted:

Ok.
THERE ARE DIFFERENCES!!!!

The main difference is
That in the more expensive ones which they changed back to the older type later on - the filter has a valve inside the filter. On the earlier ones its on the block of the engine.
Quite easy to see if you stand them side by side. Ask your dealer to show you them side by side. Thats why they are $$ :-s..

So it would seem that the block is different between models. The engine with two common filters has a different oil supply to one filter, and the engine with the Z416 filter on the front has a common oil supply, and relies on the filter to have a built in valve.

Has anyone got any experience with the different blocks/oil feeds to be able to confirm this?

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anybody ever done a rebuild that may know this??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts