Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i have a 1990 TD42 NA GQ patrol/Ford maverick it runs and drives mint doesnt overheat doesn't miss a beat ,but I just noticed that coolant is coming out the overflow bottle pretty heavily after running for like 5 10 minutes or longer and gets pretty pressurised ,2 days ago i drove 3hrs back home from Melbourne and didn't miss a beat didnt over heat drove another 100ks the next day , then on the way home today the temp gauge come up to half way and it's always sat on quater of the way on the temp gauge so I pulled over straight away and Checked the water sure enough it needed a few litres of water topped it up and off I went drove home not a issue the temp was back to normal (quater of the way) got home and it wasn't hot or anything really but the overflow bottle was spewing water out the lid and that the coolant hoses were really pressurised and hard the Radiator cap was slightly leaking (sometimes) but its like new, was still running fine the temp was normal , and I also noticed it's slightly leaking oil/air from head gasket on the drivers side of the motor under the Intake manifold or what not,but like I said it still starts first pop runs great aircon heater work mint, got me stumped

Any help please,,,,

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would try a new radiator cap first, it sounds faulty to me. Also check that it’s rating is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,122 Posts
Hi there i have a 1990 TD42 NA GQ patrol/Ford maverick it runs and drives mint doesnt overheat doesn't miss a beat ,but I just noticed that coolant is coming out the overflow bottle pretty heavily after running for like 5 10 minutes or longer and gets pretty pressurised ,2 days ago i drove 3hrs back home from Melbourne and didn't miss a beat didnt over heat drove another 100ks the next day , then on the way home today the temp gauge come up to half way and it's always sat on quater of the way on the temp gauge so I pulled over straight away and Checked the water sure enough it needed a few litres of water topped it up and off I went drove home not a issue the temp was back to normal (quater of the way) got home and it wasn't hot or anything really but the overflow bottle was spewing water out the lid and that the coolant hoses were really pressurised and hard the Radiator cap was slightly leaking (sometimes) but its like new, was still running fine the temp was normal , and I also noticed it's slightly leaking oil/air from head gasket on the drivers side of the motor under the Intake manifold or what not,but like I said it still starts first pop runs great aircon heater work mint, got me stumped

Any help please,,,,
Unfortunately the symptoms sound like a failing head gasket,you can get combustion pressure gas in the coolant without water in the cylinder/sump oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the symptoms sound like a failing head gasket,you can get combustion pressure gas in the coolant without water in the cylinder/sump oil.
Hey mate thanks,

I went and put a Brand new Radiator cap on it and and brand new Highflow Thermostat took it for a decent drive and hand the aircon running flat out it wasn't spewing water out the overflow and don't get hot or anything like that still a lil puzzled to be honest, I still need to get a new lid for my Overflow bottle aswell,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would try a new radiator cap first, it sounds faulty to me. Also check that it’s rating is correct.

Hey mate yeah put a new Radiator cap on it today and a new High Flow thermostat, didn't seem to be overflowing out the overflow and I took it for a good drive and as I said had the aircomln running flat out and it's almost 30 degrees outside today very hot day temp is sitting on quater of the way on temp gauge,

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,122 Posts
Hey mate thanks,

I went and put a Brand new Radiator cap on it and and brand new Highflow Thermostat took it for a decent drive and hand the aircon running flat out it wasn't spewing water out the overflow and don't get hot or anything like that still a lil puzzled to be honest, I still need to get a new lid for my Overflow bottle aswell,
Hey mate thanks,

I'm happy to be wrong !!🍺

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hey mate yeah put a new Radiator cap on it today and a new High Flow thermostat, didn't seem to be overflowing out the overflow and I took it for a good drive and as I said had the aircomln running flat out and it's almost 30 degrees outside today very hot day temp is sitting on quater of the way on temp gauge,
That’s great to hear, sometimes it really is the simple things that go wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s great to hear, sometimes it really is the simple things that go wrong

Yeah hopefully its fixed , ill take it for a bid drive tomorrow after I get the overflow lid and see how it goes, I'm just hoping it's all good ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts