Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think about these? Inline Engine Oil Coolers | PWR Performance Products

I have read people having good results with them in street cars that overheat in traffic. How do people think these would go in a td42 and would you need to setup a remote oil filter to one of the filters to make it work?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where else could you tap into this then. Was there a safari oil cooler that was used early on in the gq's. Where did they get the oil feed from? From my understanding, there is already an oil cooler by the filters but I just want to try keep things even more cool.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did think that but definately don't want to starve the turbo, so maybe in the return line? Where do people tap in for an oil pressure guage.

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
In the supply line to the turbo is probably your best option.

I would be mounting it below the level of the turbo though, so when the engine is turned off the cooler and feed hose remain full (rather than being emptied by gravity through the turbo drain.

The above scenario is the only way a cooler could starve the turbo that I can think of....

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What do people think about these? Inline Engine Oil Coolers | PWR Performance Products

I have read people having good results with them in street cars that overheat in traffic. How do people think these would go in a td42 and would you need to setup a remote oil filter to one of the filters to make it work?
your taking heat out of the oil and putting it into an overheating water circuit. doesn't sound smart to me. :rolleyes:

also which water line do you fit it to. a lot of the factory oil coolers are on the cold outlet side of the radiator, but that is known to cause overheating problems as your removing some of the water cooling ability.
you could fit it to the hot side, if oil is higher than water temp you would take heat out of the oil. otherwise you would be putting heat into the oil.

if you use one of those i would set it up like a water/air IC. ie have its own radiator. so heat goes from oil to air without adding to the existing engine water cooling circuit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have just read good things about these on street machines and keeping temps down at low speed when they have overheating issues. Oil temp is hotter than coolant temp and the coolant temp can only be as hot as the motor. So by reducing oil, you should be able to reduce engine temp slightly. I have a new vw transporter van, it has a oil temp read out on the dash as well as the coolant temp. I have been monitoring it lately and the oil temp sits around 90 and so does the coolant. If I am towing and start really pushing it, oil temp can go up to 115 while the coolant temp may see 95. Obviously the cooling system in the vw is much better so doesn't rise as much. So yeah if you can keep oil temp down, then engine temp will be down and coolant temp down.

I really want to look into this more but not sure I'm a fan of coming off the turbo feed line. I also think some sort of thermostat is needed to allow engine to come up to temp.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Google 'speco automotive products' and click on oil coolers. Then find the oil cooler sandwich adapter-thermostatic.
All the threads I have searched on oil coolers all point to this type of set up

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, now to actually find some info on them.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
you can also get external thermostat to fit in line with normal sandwich plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts