Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any differences on the radiator fan of the various TD42 models?
I have a 100% OK viscous clutch but the fan blades are damaged.
So I need to buy the blades off eBay or similar. But are the mouting holes on the various TD42 model identical?

Dane

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
no as the thermocoupling has a different diameter, and fan mounting bolt holes dont match up, one has a greater diameter than the other. I have an old gq fan i wanted to put on my gu but it wont fit, had to buy a new fan.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i did my engine conversion i used the ZD30 fan and it matched up
Hi there,
Matched what up with what?
The holes in the fan blades on the ZD 30 do not match with the TD42 coupling.
The ZD30 coupling has a completely different mounting to the engine than the TD42 one.

Found out the a RD28 fan with coupling fits the TD42 but the off set of the RD28 fan means that it is much closer to the radiator than the TD42 fan.
So my fear this that it will be pulled into the radiator during deeper rivercrossings.

Dane

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
I put TD42T fan blades on my TD42 the other day, matched straight up.
The difference between the fans was how many blades they have, the TD42 has 7 blades & the TD42T has 8 blades.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put TD42T fan blades on my TD42 the other day, matched straight up.
The difference between the fans was how many blades they have, the TD42 has 7 blades & the TD42T has 8 blades.
Great, that means mounting holes are the same - Number of blades probably doesn't matter...
Thanks

Dane

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi lads,
Just noticed my fan is quite cracked so want to replace just the fan blade.
Can this be done because my workshop manual and everything on this site says to remove the whole fan and hub assembly?
I don’t want to remove hub if it’s easier to just remove blade and wiggle it out.
Apologies if this has been asked in another thread but I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
547 Posts
Hi lads,
Just noticed my fan is quite cracked so want to replace just the fan blade.
Can this be done because my workshop manual and everything on this site says to remove the whole fan and hub assembly?
I don’t want to remove hub if it’s easier to just remove blade and wiggle it out.
Apologies if this has been asked in another thread but I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer.
Thanks
No, the whole hub/fan unit has to come off. You cannot access the 10mm bolts on the inside of the fan while it is in place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, the whole hub/fan unit has to come off. You cannot access the 10mm bolts on the inside of the fan while it is in place.
Thanks Brianwood for the advice and helping me to make an informed decision.
I was looking at the whole fan and hub assembly and wondering how one would get to the bolts. I might be seeing it wrong but it looks like a couple come from the front and the others from inside next to hub but I’ll expand my knowledge when I get it off an have a look.
Anyway I decided to roll the dice, get a Quikazz fan upgrade delivered, and hope to make it to the weekend when I can change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts