Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, iv been concerned with the amount of play the rockers have on the shaft on my TD, alot of oil seems to coming out between the shaft and rockers and not reaching the valve stem properly. not all do this, mainly the loose ones. it also makes it hard to set gaps when the rocker moves around so much

do the rockers have bronze bushes or are they just ally running on the steel shaft?

im thinking i might shell out some $$$ to get new rocker gear,anyone know what kind of money id be looking at???

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
All I can offer is:
I've heard of it before. The shaft wearing seems to ring a faint bell.
Try pulling it apart and having a look.
Perhaps a previous owner was slack with oil changes.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmmm, the last owner deffinately hadnt changed the oil for a while,it was pretty sludgy

im sure it would keep running like that for ever, but id like to fix it in the near future.

i wonder if you can buy new rockers and shaft

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I bought a wreck for the diesel swap and the last owner gave me a pile of receipts, one of which was to R&R and re-dress the rocker shaft. Maybe they are prone to wear.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mmmmmm,i dont think id be able to afford new rockers and shaft. i had a clack on the top end and i knew it was a rocker that had a fir bit of play in it,so i tightened up the tolerences on that 1 to .33 and it has quietened it alot but it it still noisy, i think the combination of shaft wear and the little pad being slightly worn,my anjustments are kind of guesswork, do you think if i tightened it up just a fraction more to quieten it down it would do some harm, besides this 1 rocker its quiet

·
Registered
180 Posts
From a post I did along time back about this problem,

G'day, you will find you will not get rid of the tappet noise in a engine of that age (even with a engine rebuild).

You will find that the Rocker Shaft that the tappets are mounted on will be flogged out, have had a few motors come though that had the same noise and all ended up as been the same problem.

Replacement bars are around the $150 to $200 mark Part No 13252-06J00 for a TD42 or 13252-03J00 for a TB42
Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
machining on a dozen difficult to hold small parts would be costly, see what new rockers are worth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The TD and TB suffer from the same problems the first is the rockers wear at the contact pad that pushes on the valve, this is a easy fix from any good engine builder all they do is machine the contact pad back.

The second is the Rocker Shaft, it is made from a softer metal than the rockers as a result it wears over time nothing you do will stop this from occurring the older the motor the worst it will be, the less looked after motor will only accelerate the problem. The rocker on the other hand wear very slowly have only come across one motor that had enough wear in the rocker shaft hole that required them to be re-bushed (bitch of a job), if yours measure up as been out of spec (greater than 0.15mm or 0.0059") just buy new ones or find a good droner motor with low k's.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i will be going to nissan tomorrow to price the rocker shaft so im going to ask a ***** load of questions while im there. i think the shafts are different size as well so you need everything off the top end of a TB to make it work,not just a rocker swap.

i will put up as much info as i can about it for yas

·
Registered
180 Posts
i will be going to nissan tomorrow to price the rocker shaft so im going to ask a ***** load of questions while im there. i think the shafts are different size as well so you need everything off the top end of a TB to make it work,not just a rocker swap.
Can help you with one question the shaft is the same for both the TB and TD motors shaft outer size is 19.979 to 20.000mm. The parts book shows lots of different numbers but they are all the same as you will find if drill down though the alt part list of Fast Parts Program.

I paid between $150 to $200 for my replacement shaft but that was back in 2000.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts