372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just woundering which one is the better motor as in strength wise when turboing

cheers andy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,909 Posts
Blacktop is factory turbo and you can put aftermarket turbo on them if you want.

Silvertop is non-turbo but is as strong as Blacktop. The colour of the top just changed from year to year.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
321 Posts
Yeah well thats wrong,
silver top much stronger engine,
silver top was put in a 4x4 straight from a truck,
blacktop lighter internals .
and there were no factory turbo 4.2 till (gu)
factory turbos were the rx 2.8 gq

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
399 Posts
From reading a fair bit of information on this website I recall us talking about the factory turbo blacktop being just as strong as the silvertop but the non-turbo blacktop being weaker

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
X2 what bigunit said
the blacktop from a GU turbo is the best then the silvertop then the gq blacktop is last choice

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Silvertop x gazilonty. Good for atleast 30psi.

The blacktops are on the edge (and not the edge of glory btw) at 15psi.

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
silvertop humbug hehe

ok you snobby silvertop blokes,or silver backs is it ( like the gorilla) time to anti up,
as a proud 1994 blacktopper i have always read about the silvertops coming straight from a truckline with the turbo removed , but when i search for nissan truck motors thru the net or wika ., just cant find a nissan truck in about 1988 that had a 4.2 turbo diesel in it.

Its got some pretty long lists , but cant find it.

some nissan buses had a 4.2 , so are you claiming its a people mover engine?
ok ok just kidding ,seen some old ,totally hammered silvertops and they are tanks
just dont forget blacktops can go forever too ,mines 375000 runs like a charm,

p.s ,dont want to wake up tomorrow with a toyota rocker cover in me bed ( apologizes to" The Godfather");-)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think a better statement would be that silver tops are better if planning on putting a turbo on it. If you're going to keep it stock, then the black top is still a strong unit, which will last a long time.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
best for turboing:
GU turbo black top, has the turbo oil drain cast into the block. 28mm gudgeons, different bolt pattern on the back of the crank. Vacuum pump driving off timing gear below fuel pump.
Good for 900+ Nm if you build them properly with ceramic bits etc. EG: One Wild Diesel in Perth build by United Fuel injection and Zac. Shawn Swaffield's various vehicles over east.
precombustion chamber ports are larger. Compression ratio 22.5:1
Engine number starts with TD42Tnnnnn

second best:
Silver top (which dont all have silver rocker covers) Build date to somewhere around August 1995. Vacuum pump on back of alternator. Good for 650-700 Nm at 30 psi in short bursts if you watch your gauges with standard internals. 30mm gudgeons. "small/standard" back end on crankshaft. small precombustion chamber ports. Compression ratio 22.7:1. I've just blown one of these up being an idiot and the block and liners have disintegrated between #3 and #4. I'd keep it to under 650Nm with these. Engine number starts with TD42nnnnn

Good for mild boost only:
non turbo GQ and GU "black tops" built post august 1995 approx. Vac pump driven off timing gear below fuel pump. No turbo drain cast into block, "small/standard" back end on crankshaft. 28mm gudgeons.
12 psi non intercooled, 15psi intercooled, Thou Shalt Not Pass this boost level. reasonably lively engine due to the lower mass pistons, especially if you use 4.375 diffs. small precomb chamber ports. compression ratio 22.7:1
the pick of the bunch for moderate applications because everyone wants the "strong" ones and the lower reciprocating mass helps performance.

Unknown:
Factory turbo Y60 Safari (GQ safari import)

ALL TD42s SHOULD LAST FOR AT LEAST 600,000KM WITH A TURBO AT MODERATE POWER LEVELS WITH REGULAR SERVICING.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Something to do with me driving it 400 rpm past redline in 5th gear and still accelerating with more than 30kph of wheelspin and about 190 on the speedo. It was running beautifully before that with low EGTS and me muttering "I need bigger tyres, I need bigger tyres, I need bigger tyres, ooh yeah baby, I need bigger tyres"
we did 0-60kph in 3.2 seconds GPS verified. That indicates a 0-100 time of less than 8 seconds on a gravel road. A pretty commendable performance for stock TD42 hauling a 2.5 ton car with a turbo and pump bolted on. If I'd nursed it along like I was supposed to it would have survived.
It's got me hooked on the torque, planning a build of a stronger motor right now.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Blacktop is factory turbo and you can put aftermarket turbo on them if you want.

Silvertop is non-turbo but is as strong as Blacktop. The colour of the top just changed from year to year.

lol.. thats a troll yeah?

·
Registered
nissan
118 Posts
I dont know about the Td42 but i know Nissan do like to change the rocker cover colours on a few diffrent motors and "usually" means nothing other than diffrent year motor. It was done with the RB20det goin from red to silver, also the SR20det went from red top to black before going black top VVT.
And there is always people who will claim that "xxx" colour rocker cover engine is so much better than "xxxx" colour engine and so on and usually means stuff all as they are the exact same motor.

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
I have a 1994 leafy ute. It has the vaccum pump on the back of the alternator but a black rocker cover. Anyone got information on this one?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I dont know about the Td42 but i know Nissan do like to change the rocker cover colours on a few diffrent motors and "usually" means nothing other than diffrent year motor. It was done with the RB20det goin from red to silver, also the SR20det went from red top to black before going black top VVT.
And there is always people who will claim that "xxx" colour rocker cover engine is so much better than "xxxx" colour engine and so on and usually means stuff all as they are the exact same motor.

The rockercover colour changed in about '93, the engine internals changed in about '95

·
Registered
277 Posts
best for turboing:
GU turbo black top, has the turbo oil drain cast into the block. 28mm gudgeons, different bolt pattern on the back of the crank. Vacuum pump driving off timing gear below fuel pump.
Good for 900+ Nm if you build them properly with ceramic bits etc. EG: One Wild Diesel in Perth build by United Fuel injection and Zac. Shawn Swaffield's various vehicles over east.
precombustion chamber ports are larger. Compression ratio 22.5:1
Engine number starts with TD42Tnnnnn

second best:
Silver top (which dont all have silver rocker covers) Build date to somewhere around August 1995. Vacuum pump on back of alternator. Good for 650-700 Nm at 30 psi in short bursts if you watch your gauges with standard internals. 30mm gudgeons. "small/standard" back end on crankshaft. small precombustion chamber ports. Compression ratio 22.7:1. I've just blown one of these up being an idiot and the block and liners have disintegrated between #3 and #4. I'd keep it to under 650Nm with these. Engine number starts with TD42nnnnn

Good for mild boost only:
non turbo GQ and GU "black tops" built post august 1995 approx. Vac pump driven off timing gear below fuel pump. No turbo drain cast into block, "small/standard" back end on crankshaft. 28mm gudgeons.
12 psi non intercooled, 15psi intercooled, Thou Shalt Not Pass this boost level. reasonably lively engine due to the lower mass pistons, especially if you use 4.375 diffs. small precomb chamber ports. compression ratio 22.7:1
the pick of the bunch for moderate applications because everyone wants the "strong" ones and the lower reciprocating mass helps performance.

Unknown:
Factory turbo Y60 Safari (GQ safari import)

ALL TD42s SHOULD LAST FOR AT LEAST 600,000KM WITH A TURBO AT MODERATE POWER LEVELS WITH REGULAR SERVICING.
Mike my Gq ( safari ) is built 1989, its a manual low roof silver top base model
from what I have found its no different from your second option, however its 24 volt.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts