Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a straddie trip with my newly acquired td42 ute (no turbo) and found that it was conking out under load when trying to recover a mates truck from a bog, both in 1st and reverse.

Fuel pump ?.
Engine was rebuilt 170k ago.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
sounds like its being starved of either air or fuel. so replace all filters and make sure the fuel lines are bled properly. does she blow any smoke?

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dosent blow any smoke, all filters are 5 days old. Fuel system is properly purged.

Thinking the pump can't keep up under load ?.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Is it the same pulling up steep hills? Sounds like it's just low on power, you were pulling a 4wd out of a bog remember.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it drive fine otherwise? Were you pulling them out in high or low range?
Just doesn't really sound like there is anything wrong.

Yea drives fine otherwise, pulls up hills easy.
Was in low range at the time.

If nothing is wrong than patrol td42's are more gutless than i realized :confused:

·
8,549 Posts
Without a turbo they can be pretty lazy.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When your in the torque range, in 1st low, pulling a weight, shouldn't they spin the tyres as a last resort even if you cant move the object your pulling?, i mean on sand you would expect it to, not just stall ?.

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Hairy,
Do you know about the filter in the inlet to the fuel pump? There is a fine gauze filter that can clag up and restrict fuel causing loss of power.
I can send details on how to fix it if need be.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hairy,
Do you know about the filter in the inlet to the fuel pump? There is a fine gauze filter that can clag up and restrict fuel causing loss of power.
I can send details on how to fix it if need be.
Cheers
Peter

I did not know about this Peter, a PM with details would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
The TD42 and naturally aspirated 4.2 diesel fitted to the Patrols up until 2006?? have a "Fuel Pump Inlet Filter" that is not common knowledge to many owners.
Have experienced problems over the years with the addition of contaminated fuel in the outback.
The problem can usually be controlled by the addition of eg: "Fuel Set" to control the fungal growth in diesel.
These fungal microbes can and do pass through your primary fuel filter element and get hung up in the "Fuel Inlet Filter."
The result is a loss of power and intermittent misfires.
The fix solution is quite simple if you have the necessary tools while you are out on the road.
17mm socket
250mm extension
Rachet or strong back handle
Length of thin wire bent to form a set of inside calipers.
1: Carefully remove 17mm inlet bolt, remove top and bottom gaskets.
2: Swing inlet pipe out of the way.
3: With the wire calipers remove the spring sitting on top of filter.
4: Again with calipers carefully remove filter.
5: Clean in petrol then refit using the calipers ensuring the brass ring is uppermost.
6: Refit spring.
7: Refit inlet bolt ensuring top and bottom gaskets are in place.
8: Ready to start engine.

Added to this it would be advisable to carry a spare filter and gaskets. If the filter blocks it can be cleaned and used again, however an onhand spare saves time and you can be under full power again within 1/2 hour or less.
Caution: Be sure to clean around inlet before dismantling so no dust and dirt enters inlet.

The added photos may help you with interpretation of my discription.

GU Nissan fuel inlet filter

Postition of inlet pipe

Dismantled components

View of inlet

View of clean & blocked filter.

·
8,549 Posts
Exactly how far down is the filter, because I've tried a couple of times on mine, cant find one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello Sudso,
Approx 20mm or 3/4 length of spring.
If your filter has been removed by another owner it would be in your best interest to take the part numbers to a Nissan dealer and buy a filter and two gaskets, approx $20.00 from memory. You may be surprised to find out your dealer is not aware of this inline filter, because no where is it mentioned in a service manual?
How many TD42 owners have been charged for an injection pump overhaul when all it may have been is a $20.00 filter?
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Wonder if it really matters if its there or not, Im'e running the original Fuel filter then it goes through a CAV filter, might take it out and see, You would think the 5 or 10 micron filter whatever they are would clean the fuel enough before IP.The gauze filter looks like its just cloged up with the oil that the fuels refined out of.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Well if it ever clogs up with anything, it is better than going into your IP, and a quick and simple fix.
Great 'How To' BTW Nightjar.

These are the type of things that should be added to 'stickies' , moderators!?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Well if it ever clogs up with anything, it is better than going into your IP, and a quick and simple fix.
Great 'How To' BTW Nightjar.

These are the type of things that should be added to 'stickies' , moderators!?
Yeh true, I might get a new one then, Ya know what i mean though the filters with the paper element you cant even see through but this gauze one you can.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wonder if it really matters if its there or not, Im'e running the original Fuel filter then it goes through a CAV filter, might take it out and see, You would think the 5 or 10 micron filter whatever they are would clean the fuel enough before IP.The gauze filter looks like its just cloged up with the oil that the fuels refined out of.
It's not there to catch unclean fuel that made it past the filter it's to catch anything as a last resort before the most important (expensive)part of the entire fuel system even small fibers. Cleaned mine three times now, the first time I did it the gause filter was fairly clogged with fibers from the upstream genuine Nissan filter, according to the service history that came with the car the original pump was replaced under warranty and the new one had seen about 90k/km before this first clean...made a difference too, throttle response and how far i needed to press the throttle to hold any constant speed.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
It's not there to catch unclean fuel that made it past the filter it's to catch anything as a last resort before the most important (expensive)part of the entire fuel system even small fibers. Cleaned mine three times now, the first time I did it the gause filter was fairly clogged with fibers from the upstream genuine Nissan filter, according to the service history that came with the car the original pump was replaced under warranty and the new one had seen about 90k/km before this first clean...made a difference too, throttle response and how far i needed to press the throttle to hold any constant speed.
Yeh got it now! Mines on 300 thousand and never looked at it, so better do it. Cheers

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeh got it now! Mines on 300 thousand and never looked at it, so better do it. Cheers
You will be impressed if it is clogged and cleared, 300k/km - couldnt imagine what the filter might look like if mine was anything typical.

interested to hear how you get on, straight the job after i had to idle the engine back down as it was then idling too high!

·
Registered
35 Posts
surging

i noticed my car this afternoon hesitate when i knocked it back a gear to overtake today
thought nothing of it then later on when i had the air con on it kept doing it ,holding the throttle at one spot it sort of surges and then finally gets going , i tried changing the filter
and cleaning the little gauze and it still does it aswell .i dont have a clue on what it could be
cheers ross

1 - 20 of 41 Posts