Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all the people on here smarter than me. As a couple of people already know, while I was doing my SD33T swap I couldn’t find a 12v starter, so I’ve adapted a td42 starter, which has very similar measurements. The second hand one that I got though has stopped working properly, it won’t turn over the motor on its own without a roll and clutch drop to get it going, then the clutch can be put back in and the starter will keep it turning over, it just won’t get the initial turn going.
So I need a new one, and there are two main types of td42 starter motor, one with extra bracing in front of the solenoid, and one without:

So, mine is the top one without the extra solenoid bracing, and the second one is with, and if I was to buy the second one, the bracing would get in the way of the bolt hole modifications I have to make to suit the sd33t bell housing.

My question is, would it be safe to only use 2 of the three bolts on the starter? I know zd starters only have 2 so I don’t see why mine couldn’t, especially since it’s only turning the 3.3, not the 4.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
Hi mate recently while changing over the gearbox on a mates 1992 gq ute we removed the starter i noticed that it was only bolted on by two bolts after further investigation it seems as 1 bolt had been snapped off a while back either it was siezed when someone tried to remove it or it was overtightened and snapped. The starter still operates the same only down side i did notice was the amount of oil inside front from when oil filters get removed. The starter that was in use was the one with extra bracing.

Also i wanted to ask you is it safe to use a starter for a 4.2 on a 3.3? Wont it damage anything as its ment for turning a heavier engine??

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
Theres bugger all difference in turning over the SD vs TD. Both are high comp, 6 cyl engines. 24v SD used a much higher wattage starter than 12v SD or TD anyway.

Going off your description, I would imagine you plan on using the two bolt holes roughly 180 degrees apart, in which case it may be okay. (lower hole, and top closest to block)
My hesitation would be if the starter tries to tweak out of place under load, or if the front housing of the ZD starter was beefed up to accommodate the additional load by having less fasteners.

Could you swap your existing front housing onto the new starter? Or just rebuild the starter that you have if its not too far gone?

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres bugger all difference in turning over the SD vs TD. Both are high comp, 6 cyl engines. 24v SD used a much higher wattage starter than 12v SD or TD anyway.

Going off your description, I would imagine you plan on using the two bolt holes roughly 180 degrees apart, in which case it may be okay. (lower hole, and top closest to block)
My hesitation would be if the starter tries to tweak out of place under load, or if the front housing of the ZD starter was beefed up to accommodate the additional load by having less fasteners.

Could you swap your existing front housing onto the new starter? Or just rebuild the starter that you have if its not too far gone?
Hi mate recently while changing over the gearbox on a mates 1992 gq ute we removed the starter i noticed that it was only bolted on by two bolts after further investigation it seems as 1 bolt had been snapped off a while back either it was siezed when someone tried to remove it or it was overtightened and snapped. The starter still operates the same only down side i did notice was the amount of oil inside front from when oil filters get removed. The starter that was in use was the one with extra bracing.

Also i wanted to ask you is it safe to use a starter for a 4.2 on a 3.3? Wont it damage anything as its ment for turning a heavier engine??
Thanks for the responses, I ended up getting a brand new starter, the braced type, and figured out I could modify it the same way I did with my existing one to use all 3 bolts, just having to notch the big washers so they cleared the bracing. It turns over much better now and shouldn’t need attention for a while now.

Oh yeah, I haven’t disappeared off the face of the earth haha, I will get around to updating the build thread soon, got plenty to talk about now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted.

Reactions: Ethanissan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts