Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the middle of replacing the bearings in my starter motor due to water ingress (they're all gritty to turn and one was seized).

All good except one thing : removing the spring retainer on the main pinion. I see it has a kind of internal c-clip, and I have modified a pair of c-clip pliers to fit - but absolutely refuses to budge. Is there a trick to this? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,026 Posts
Does it need pressure relieved from the clip by use of a spring compressor or somesuch?

·
Registered
Nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it need pressure relieved from the clip by use of a spring compressor or somesuch?
The spring is not that strong, can easily compress by hand. The spring retainer seems almost loose so I didn't think the pressure would be effecting it but maybe you're right

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,026 Posts
Never done one before, just trying to guess based on the picture. I paid an auto sparky to remove, rebuild and refit mine -- cheaper than I could buy a chineseium ebay replacement :).

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Hey mate, it can also pay to carefully pick those seals out of your new bearings and make sure they are greased sufficiently. It is not always the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts