Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

TD42 Starter motor problem

10K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Evil! 
#1 ·
My starter motor is squealing intermittently, doesn't turn the engine and sounds like it is disconnected from the engine - just spins on it's own. This happens once, then I try again and everything starts normally.

Does the starter have a clutch? Could this be the problem? Can it be reconditioned or does this require a new motor?

So far this has happened twice in the last 2 days. How long do you reckon I've got until it doesn't start at all?

Thanks

#4 ·
Just bought one off ebay for $330,auto elec localy wanted $560 for the same unit & says he's never had any probs with them,turns the motor over alot quicker than my old one,motor starts as soon as i turn the key.
Original from Nissan around $900.
Just thought i'd share this if you decide to buy a new one.

#8 ·
Don't know how to do links,doo,but if you search for GQ starter motors on ebay there are a few at different prices.
Chinese probably,actually there is no brand or country where they are made printed on them.I asked the seller where they were made & he said they can come from a variety of countries,he wasn't sure,mmm,a bit strange.
Came with a 12 month warranty,so we'll see how it goes

#11 ·
Still not sure what the solenoid does though!
The solenoid is the smaller unit (usually cylinder shape) mounted on the starter motor body.

It has 3 basic functions.

1. When you turn the key to start it supplies the large amount of current (via the battery lead) to the starter motor.

2. It also pushes out the starter motor pinion so it can mesh with the flywheel.

3. Once the vehicle has started and you let go of the key the solenoid will also help disengage the starter motor pinion from the flywheel.

#19 ·
Yes they dont appreciate the water but if you pull it out and clean the brushes and armiture etc every now and then they go alright. Its just like everything else on a 4by when we go playing in mud and water, a little preventive maintenance and it will last. Its a common fault that the brushes seize in their housing. I strip mine every 2nd oil change, only takes 1/2 hour and all is good.

#15 ·
like jeri said, the earth wire is a dodgy little sod, mines wobbly as hell and had been playing the same game as described for a couple of years now.

i bought a second hand spare when it started it, its still in the shed.

and that one, the earth wire has been entirely soldered into the unit.

but yeah, id expect it to last indefinately, mine seems to be.

#17 ·
Your starter problem won't be the solenoid, still could be an earth problem unlikely though
Solenoid "pulls in " then motor is powered by a set of contacts in rear of solenoid, so if starter motor spins solenoid is working.

More likely to be pinion gear on starter sticking or worn and not engaging with flywheel ring gear, pinion gear should be easy enough to change, if not to mechanical study a manual and give it a go

#20 · (Edited)
So, the $300 ebay motor is now in the car, and the hitachi motor (OEM?) is on my desk in several pieces.

The solenoid pin is moving freely, and the original problem was motor spinning but not moving engine. So I think that is OK.

The lever arm is also moving well, and the pinion shaft moves forward quite easily.

The pinion gears look worn a little, and I've attached a photo to see if the brains among us think they could be the problem.

I'm wondering about the clutch that connects the pinion to the motor shaft. I am able to spin the pinion clockwise with moderate resistance while the clutch gear stays static. Is this normal? How can I tell if the clutch is faulty. How would I replace the clutch if it is faulty?

The original symptoms were intermittent, about 1 in every 3 starts, and only once at a time. Retrying the start worked every time, and the engine turned quickly and without any odd noises.

Am I right in thinking the clutch is at fault?

(enjoyed getting my hands dirty on this - thanks P4x4 for giving me the confidence to have a bash!)

Attachments

#22 ·
Most modern starters also rely on the solenoid to engage the starter pinion with the ring gear of the flywheel. When the solenoid is energized, it operates a plunger or lever which forces the pinion into mesh with the ring gear. The pinion incorporates a mechanism such that when the engine starts and runs faster than the starter motor the pinion is forced to unmesh.

the solenoid is the brains of the starter motor it makes everything happen when faulty will cause the starter to spin but not engage into the flywheel

1) could be a bad earth on the exterior of the solenoid
or
2) its internally dirty and full of crap due to water ect entering the solenoid

forgot to mention that pinion one way clutch can easly be checked on the bench should be able to turn it one way only and when you turn it the opposite direction locks up tight

your gear looks fine btw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.