Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently having problems starting my td42 when it has been running for a little while. First thing in the morning is fine, half a rev of the starter and away we go, however after running for a little while once it is warm/hot no amount of starter will induce it to start. Any ideas on what may be the problem? It has done 310K kms!

·
Registered
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
356 Posts
Sounds like a classic worn injector pump...

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BrianWood for your reply. Excuse my ignorance, but if the injector pump was worn and causing starting problems, why does it not cause problems once the engine is running. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,572 Posts
I am currently having problems starting my td42 when it has been running for a little while. First thing in the morning is fine, half a rev of the starter and away we go, however after running for a little while once it is warm/hot no amount of starter will induce it to start. Any ideas on what may be the problem? It has done 310K kms!
When was the fuel filter last changed ??

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
Nissan
801 Posts
Not a TD 42 here but I reckon it is applicable ....being that old school injector pumps are basically the same design...ie...as in rotary anyway.
97 RD 28....started fine cold..but after a run while hot...starter cranked a few turns before firing...worse when it was a hot day. Turned out centre spindle and pump head were absolutely toasted...had a really bad score on both surfaces New head and spindle...plus general recon of pump...2300 bux worth...and all good now. Nobby...my diesel spert here in Orange said it was almost a cert that cheap import fuel and a
practice on the part of PO of just chucking 20 or so bux in at a time were the cause ...plus....because of the above mentioned practice...a bit of moisture as well...which explains the grubby fuel filter I changed when I bought it.

Cheers Keith

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,032 Posts
Humour me...

Sounds like your classic crook main earth to me. Starts ok cold... when warmed up heat adds more resistance and not enough electrical juice available to spin starter properly. Add a decent earth (50mm2 great, 70mm2 perfect, but 35mm2 will do) from battery negative to a nice clean captive just across from there on the inlet manifold and see if that helps. If you’re in Perth I’ll even make you one and fit it if you bring a six pack of Rogers with you 😇

You can experiment... when warmed up and struggling, add jumper cable from battery to engine, make sure of good solid connection.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied. Turns out it was a worn fuel pump. Fully rebuilt and away we go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts