Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 4wdriving up mount terrible last weekend and ever since then when I start her up its like the battery was nearly flat so I went and got a new battery and it still does it it takes like 5 seconds to start can someone please help me.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
most likely the starter motor is full of mud and rubbish. causing dirty contacts.
you can pull them out and they arnt to hard to pull apart and clean. or take it to an auto elec and get them to do it. but id say that is your best bet.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
If it helps. mine is behind the RHS (drives side) battery in a plastic box but it is a TD42 Safari so i'm not sure if applicable. good luck anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
104 Posts
Does it get any easier to start when its hot?
If not I'd be pulling your starter apart and giving it a good clean as Ben suggested. I'd probably recommend this regardless if you've been playing in a bit of mud. Also check that the connections inside the starter are ok, I had a similiar problem to you a while back and turned out to be a disconnected wire on one of the brushes. Soldered back on and good as new!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I had the same problem up north pig shooting. changed the batery, played with relay and glow timer moduel to no suscess. when we got home after tow starting it over and over pulled starter off and it was dead inside the brushes were seased in the tracks few taps with a hammer and a bit of a clean and now works beautifuly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts