Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
im now glad ill eventually be doing this to a gu. off the shelf parts will make it so much easier. but least your getting thru everything pretty quick. guess just the wiring is lingering as the headache now.
Yep, GU will be heaps easier. I have spent two days making the shifter fit the GQ, and more work left to go. In a GU it will just bolt in! In the GQ it sat very high, and I figured there was no way to build a console around it to make it look neat. The linkages were also too far apart under the car too. So the solution was to recess the shifter into the floor about 50mm. It has worked out well, looks neat, and linkages are very close. I just have a small ratio difference in the linkages, so it does not select all gears properly. This was expected though, and it is close. So a bit more tinkering with the linkage length should have that right.

And then the wiring, and programming the TCU. Wiring will be fiddly trying to keep it all neat. There is a fair sized loom that has to go somewhere, in my case I am thinking underneath my console. My old console will not fit with the new shifter so I have to make a new one. Might as well incorporate the TCU in there if I can.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did some experimenting with the linkages this arvo, and the "tack welded and vise grip held" linkage has it selecting gears correctly. Just need to make a proper one and give it a coat of paint. This was one of the jobs that had me concerned. @OldMav had told me that he knows of another engineer bloke that had trouble getting the shifter to work, and in the end converted it to cable operation. So I was prepared for it to be a problem that was hard to fix.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I 'll take it. ;)

So that should be finished off fairly quickly, and then I can tackle the wiring and setting the TCU up. Last job before start-up. :cool:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here is the final version of my shifter mods. Mounting box is about 55mm deep, and linkage has been cut and modified, as well as having an adjustable section you can see.

Here is how it sits in the trans tunnel in the GQ. Not bad I think. You can imagine how high it would be without the lowering box. This is ok for reach, linkages match the box underneath, and I think it is low enough inside to build a console around it. The red nylon piece in the shifter is part of the mods needed for Patrol use. As it is a Skyline shifter, it has 3 & 2 below drive, but if you shift into these positions the TCU goes into failsafe mode. As it has tiptronic mode, with all 5 gears, these have no use anyway. Eventually I will repaint the shifter and you will not see any of this.

My modded brake pedal. My $12 auto pedal rubber now fits. Not very interesting. :rolleyes:

As expected my old console is no good. I was hoping to make a new one, incorporating the TCU and wiring loom underneath. But that is just not going to happen, as there is just not enough room for it, and to fit my cooler as well. There is a bit of wiring, but the big problem is the way it connects to the TCU. So on to plan B - under the passenger seat. I will see what I have to mount it, and two relays in, but a new box from Jaycar may be needed. Then the console can be made simpler.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
making good progress. shifter came up well i reckon. once you put a console over that will look factory. well almost.
are the plugs the same or different from the shifter to the compushift?
The R34 Skyline shifter is the same as Patrol, apart from having "3" & "2" on the main gate. Bit of stuffing around to disable that, but the electrical plug is the same, so it plugs straight in.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Figured I could make the box out of timber, and it can be the exact size and shape I need, and save a trip out. No attempt to make it pretty, as you can't see it under the seat. So it was a quick knock up out of scrap. When I have everything working, and do not need to stuff around with it any more, I will give it a coat of paint and chuck the lid on.

Wiring under the dash wasn't much fun. There was some dodgy stuff under there, that while it worked, was untidy. Brake controller, cruise control, and turbo timer wiring done before I bought the vehicle. I do not use cruise or turbo timer any more, and they were wired into stuff I needed access to for the TCU. So I decided to fix it all properly. Much better now, but I have a sore back, neck, shoulder etc...….. Must be getting old. :cry:

This bit was easy enough to get to once I unplugged it all.

So now the wiring is all done. Started doing the TCU programming today, but realised I had overlooked a step I did not have instructions for, which was loading a data file into the software. I have the file, but no idea how to load it!

Hopefully tomorrow, I will have a runner. :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
11,030 Posts
well this has progressed very quickly. love the slap together box. id do the same out of sight out of mind.
how much programming is involved. like do you actually have to set all the shift points are just refine them a little once its running. im so excited to see it running and its not even my truck haha.
corona virus has killed off any chance of having my auto up and running any time soon.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have basic computer skills, but when it comes to Android apps I have very little. So I have done a bit of stuffing around that most would not have to. Anyone that uses a smart phone would be ok. Apple or Android will both work.

When you know where to look, you can program in the info in about 10 minutes. Even less if you have done it before. You get a basic file provided for your vehicle, and then you have to enter some specific info on your vehicle, such as some gear ratios and number of cylinders etc, simple stuff. After you go through the testing routine, then you can make adjustments if needed, so fine tuning you might say. But you only have two things that can be adjusted from memory, so most of it is pre-done.

In may case I am having an issue with loading the file provided to me for the TD42/RE5 combo. Wholesale think it is an issue with the software, and HGM in the US say they have a new version coming out in a couple of days that will fix it. It is only Android, and not Apple apparently. So I will have to wait for that. I will use the time to ponder my console and T case shifter boot etc.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
In may case I am having an issue with loading the file provided to me for the TD42/RE5 combo. Wholesale think it is an issue with the software, and HGM in the US say they have a new version coming out in a couple of days that will fix it. It is only Android, and not Apple apparently. So I will have to wait for that. I will use the time to ponder my console and T case shifter boot etc.
What is the issue you are having loading the file. I had connection issues when trying to load the file into the compushift for the 4 speed. My phone or tablet would connect via bluetooth, then as soon as I tried to load the file it would loose the connection. I just kept trying and eventuly it loaded. I then used the app and downloaded the file from the compushift. This file I have no issues transferring back into the compushift. I have done this so that if I make any changes I dont like I can return it back to the initial settings that WSA set up. I have also saved a couple of other files where I have made some changes and can go back to them if I want. I have found that the WSA settings are pretty good. The only adjustments I have made is the TCC settings. It is sometimes a bit late to drop into OD when going up a hill. I need to email WSA and see if they can point me in the right direction with changing the shift tables. I found Jono at WSA realy good to deal with.

I also had issues with the TPS auto calibrate function. I ended up having to go into advanced options for the TPS and manually setting the high and low volts. Under the advanced options in engine set up, there is a setting for engine running detection speed. Mine was set to 0rpm. If I set that to 1 rpm, it would then let me auto calibrate the TPS.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What is the issue you are having loading the file. I had connection issues when trying to load the file into the compushift for the 4 speed. My phone or tablet would connect via bluetooth, then as soon as I tried to load the file it would loose the connection. I just kept trying and eventuly it loaded. I then used the app and downloaded the file from the compushift. This file I have no issues transferring back into the compushift. I have done this so that if I make any changes I dont like I can return it back to the initial settings that WSA set up. I have also saved a couple of other files where I have made some changes and can go back to them if I want. I have found that the WSA settings are pretty good. The only adjustments I have made is the TCC settings. It is sometimes a bit late to drop into OD when going up a hill. I need to email WSA and see if they can point me in the right direction with changing the shift tables. I found Jono at WSA realy good to deal with.

I also had issues with the TPS auto calibrate function. I ended up having to go into advanced options for the TPS and manually setting the high and low volts. Under the advanced options in engine set up, there is a setting for engine running detection speed. Mine was set to 0rpm. If I set that to 1 rpm, it would then let me auto calibrate the TPS.

My issue is with "Loading & Merging" the data file supplied into Compushift Setup. When you select the file to be loaded, it should show a progress bar as the file loads, for about 10 seconds Jono tells me. He actually instructed me over the phone on how to do it, in case I was making an error. But it will not load it, it just goes back to the Home screen in a split second. We tried quite a lot of options, but it would not work. HGM advised the new software upgrade will fix it, so hopefully that will be online any day now.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
My issue is with "Loading & Merging" the data file supplied into Compushift Setup. When you select the file to be loaded, it should show a progress bar as the file loads, for about 10 seconds Jono tells me. He actually instructed me over the phone on how to do it, in case I was making an error. But it will not load it, it just goes back to the Home screen in a split second. We tried quite a lot of options, but it would not work. HGM advised the new software upgrade will fix it, so hopefully that will be online any day now.
It was about 6 months ago when I done mine and it sounds like what mine was doing ( by memory ). Pretty sure I worked out it was loosing its connection. Good luck with it. I hope you get it soughted.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am still working on wiring and set-up. This is a surprise to me, but there is a lot of stuff not in the instructions. Wholesale have told me the instructions for the RE5 have not been fully developed, as they have not had a vehicle to be left with them long enough - each time the customer has wanted it back asap. But it is what it is I suppose.

Tacho input has been the BIG pain to fix. There is a number of ways it can be connected, and it takes time to set up and test options. Some of them have the TCU working, but not the dash tacho, some the opposite, some at certain revs only etc. I have a GQ cam gear and sensor in the Ti engine, so it has a stronger signal than a late model GU, but when connected to the TCU the voltage drops just enough for it not to work. So in theory I should not have needed a voltage step-up circuit, but in practice I do. I have a Dakota Digital interface that has done the job in the end, but that is in conjunction with moving the wiring in the TCU connector to a different pin. A right pain of a job. But it now works. There was other stuff not in the instructions too, bit smaller things. So hopefully by the time someone else does one of these conversions it will be better.

I have one issue left to fix before I can road test it all. The diagnostic test for the torque converter lock-up does not work. I have not seen any programming parameters for it, and there is nothing in the instructions, so dunno what is going on at this point. See what I can find tomorrow.

·
Registered
nissan
11,030 Posts
lucky your a smart man haha. sounds like a hell of a show to get it all to work. if i ever get around to doing mine. thats the most worrying part is the wiring. cause my wiring is already a bitsa due to originally being a 2.8 now running a 4.2. fun times.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
lucky your a smart man haha. sounds like a hell of a show to get it all to work. if i ever get around to doing mine. thats the most worrying part is the wiring. cause my wiring is already a bitsa due to originally being a 2.8 now running a 4.2. fun times.
That is the problem BeNos, when it comes to electrics I am pretty good with it. I have always done my own stuff since I was a kid, learning from my electrician father. So I can do a fair bit, and have a good multi-meter which does DC, AC & Hz, I can read circuit diagrams, so I am not properly trained, but no mug either.

With the tacho input, I was measuring the AC voltage, Hz, and monitoring those with different wiring configurations. In the end I discovered that the TCU input was pulling half a volt AC from the signal, so while you could get the TCU input to work, then the dash was not getting enough voltage and would stop!!! Disconnect the TCU and the dash worked again. So I used the Dakota interface high voltage output to increase it enough to get the system working, after using an alternate input into the TCU, which needs an extra wire to be run as an earth. Except it didn't work, so I ended up with the alternate input, no secondary earth, and the Dakota. It now has a stable TCU input and the dash works.

I reckon there would be some people that would struggle to work that out. I found it pretty hard. Spent a few hours today trying to fix the TCC lockup, but no good so far. I will have to check the TCU pin positions tomorrow. It does nothing whatsoever, zilch, so something is amiss.

·
Registered
nissan
200 Posts
I just had this completed at Wholesale for my 4.2 GU. Picked it up last Friday. I really like the auto in the truck. Very different not hearing the gear changes happen like it used to. Just something to get used to I suppose. Happy with the power though. Still went for m clutch a couple of times.
Not sure how much it cost for you to do this on your own, but I can understand why people don't get this conversion done. $20k drive away is like shoehorning a small car into where the manual gearbox used to fit. Quite expensive. At least my bank is smiling with the interest I have to pay on it.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I just had this completed at Wholesale for my 4.2 GU. Picked it up last Friday. I really like the auto in the truck. Very different not hearing the gear changes happen like it used to. Just something to get used to I suppose. Happy with the power though. Still went for m clutch a couple of times.
Not sure how much it cost for you to do this on your own, but I can understand why people don't get this conversion done. $20k drive away is like shoehorning a small car into where the manual gearbox used to fit. Quite expensive. At least my bank is smiling with the interest I have to pay on it.
Doing it yourself will cost about $5k for the basic conversion kit, but you will be supplying your own gearbox and shifter at that price, and doing a heck of a lot of work too!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Spent a fair bit of time on the Torque Converter Clutch manual lock-up. It was not working in test mode, so I went looking for problems in the TCU settings. No good with that, even after a few hours working on it, and then a few more hours using the internet to search for possible issues. Eventually, I decided that I should have a closer look at the momentary switch that activates it. It is new, and was plugged in last thing before testing.

Mongrel thing is broken! :mad:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have done my initial test drive, and the electronics are working ok. Needs a bit of tweaking, but for the most part it seems to be ok. When you get up to speed, and the torque converter locks up, it cruises along quite well, and is as responsive to throttle just as it was with the manual. As you would expect.

But with the converter unlocked it is not very good. It feels like I have lost 200nm of torque. Going out my slighly uphill driveway, needs more than 30% throttle and over 2000rpm. There is limited drive for such a powerful engine. I am told the electrics have no effect on the converter at all, so there is a mechanical fault. Yet to be determined.

So it will have to go on a tilt tray, off the shop that built the box so they can do some tests on it. It feels like the converter is just not doing its job, but if it is faulty there is a risk it could damage the box. So it should not be driven any further.

Not happy.

21 - 40 of 149 Posts