Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Cruise is a yes I believe Dan. But as I do not have a GU, it will no doubt be different to my vehicle. But if I remember correctly it can be done.

My info is also that a higher torque engine will push the stall speed higher as well #patrol97, which is why stall speed can only be measured on the individual engine the converter is bolted to. So my issues with the standard spec 2000rpm converter that you have #Dan789, will in part be to the extra torque my engine makes, and how low it is produced in the rev range. The revised converter arrived today, so we shall see what the result is soon enough.

It does seem however that now you have found a non-related problem, which is quite a coincidence, that your TCM parameters are very different from mine. So it looks like Wholesale have done a good job with your set-up. I have a basic file to start with, so I have to do my own set-up. My shift points are a lot different to yours it seems. I was doing some experimenting in the software today. The standard shift point from 4th to 5th at 80-100% throttle is set at 130kph. Yes, 130kph!!!!

Glad yours is all good now. I will get there in the end, but doing my own set-up is a learning exercise for sure, and some of the usual stuff needs a tweak for my engine, which is a bit different to what they are familiar with. So it will take a bit more sorting with some alternate settings.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Just wondering if there is anyway to get cruise control onto this setup now? Can it happen?
I have fitted the Command AP500 cruise control and it works fine. You dont need to connect to the transmission or compushift at all. The compushift does have an output speed signal that is there for an aftermarket speedo. I used that for the speed signal for the cruise as it was easy to get to.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
And in my case, a fair question to be asked is if there is a tuning file such as what Dan has available, why am I starting with a file that has 9000rpm limits and gear changes at 5000rpm???? Surely it would be a lot easier for the customer to start with a file that works on another TD42, rather than an LS1 file.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi all what sort of power are you guys atw if you dont mind
Many thanks jono
My engine makes 200kw at the wheels and somewhere between 775-800nm. It has not been back on the dyno since making a cam timing change, so torque is not definite until it is checked again.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
And in my case, a fair question to be asked is if there is a tuning file such as what Dan has available, why am I starting with a file that has 9000rpm limits and gear changes at 5000rpm???? Surely it would be a lot easier for the customer to start with a file that works on another TD42, rather than an LS1 file.
I was thinking that reading the last couple of posts. Doesnt make sense to me.

·
Registered
nissan
494 Posts
I am going to install the COMPUSHIFT Sport in my Re4R03a, how has been everyones experience ? I am handy with tuning so I expect it should not be too difficult. Do you know if you can adjust ( off throttle, TC lockup w. higher line pressure ) ? I will be installing an exhaust brake on my Y61

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I was thinking that reading the last couple of posts. Doesnt make sense to me.
Me neither. But anyway, I reckon I know enough now to do what I need to do. I have a base file with new shift speeds programmed in, so I will see how I go when it is back together.

·
Registered
nissan
494 Posts
Well, I am quite knowledgable with tuning vehicles so when mine is sorted I will host a copy of my file. I plan to finally install my BD Diesel exhaust brake, I have been speaking with the Compushift technical support about programming the unit to engage TCC lockup with increase the lockup pressure and line pressure with the trigger being the exhaust brake controller.. should help towing the trailer here in the Rocky Mountains of Canada.

My current hurdle is installing a line pressure sensor, the factory port location is just plain stupid.. way too tight to thread anything in.. its apparently M10x1.0 thread. Does anyone have a work around for this ?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I have no experience with the RE4, which is different to the RE5, so do not know anything about the software. BJM may be able to answer.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
My engine makes 200kw at the wheels and somewhere between 775-800nm. It has not been back on the dyno since making a cam timing change, so torque is not definite until it is checked again.
I am going to need to make a trip up to the Sunny Coast and meet and greet you and this machine......

So want to do this, just need to keep saving and really want to see how it drives...

Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
1,990 Posts
How is the TC handle the torque? What stall rpm in your application? Does the TC have a built-in locking mechanism? How much torque the locking can handle?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
How is the TC handle the torque? What stall rpm in your application? Does the TC have a built-in locking mechanism? How much torque the locking can handle?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk
The "standard" converter used in these conversions stalls at about 2000 rpm. My engine was the same, but the issue I had was lack of drive below 2000. My engine makes good torque below that point, but there was very little drive around 1500-1600 rpm. So, the combination of the two was not the best. The stall speed of the new converter will only be known for sure when I test it. It was designed to be around 1600rpm.

The converter has an automatic lock-up, and the parameters for this are adjustable. It also has a manual lock up switch for when it is needed. As far as I know, there is no issue with any torque amount for the converter. Other parts of the box in standard form are considered to be ok up to about 700nm, but no more. If you need to go over this you need some uprated internals in the clutch packs and heat-treating of some components.

Gearbox has been re-fitted and everything sorted ready for testing again when time permits.

·
Registered
nissan
200 Posts
Hi all what sort of power are you guys atw if you dont mind
Many thanks jono
Not as much as GQshayne but I had it tuned a couple of years ago before many mods and it was doing 180kw at the rear wheels and around700nm torque.
Couple more things to do before it goes back on the dyno shortly. Will be interesting to see where it is making the power now compared to previously with the manual.

·
Registered
nissan
200 Posts
If I knew how to do it I could share mine with you as a starting point. It gets up through the gears really quickly. I have noticed that different driving has the gears changing at different levels, obiously. I will do a run with it tomorrow and check the different gear changes between normal driving and foot flat to the floor driving.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
If I knew how to do it I could share mine with you as a starting point. It gets up through the gears really quickly. I have noticed that different driving has the gears changing at different levels, obiously. I will do a run with it tomorrow and check the different gear changes between normal driving and foot flat to the floor driving.
Thanks for that, but I have figured that out now. Like anything, once you know how to make adjustments it is not difficult. I have done a basic change to mine (1st-2nd I left alone but every other change has been altered) and it has got it in the ballpark in one go, so some fine tuning should have it right for what I want.

You are correct in that the shift points will be different depending on how you drive it. They are referenced to road speed, and throttle position, so the more throttle percentage in any gear will have the change happening at higher speed.

Your file would have been a great starting point though. Obviously when I first started testing it was difficult to analyse problems when it was so far outside where it needed to be. Closer would have made it a lot easier to figure out.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
1,990 Posts
The "standard" converter used in these conversions stalls at about 2000 rpm. My engine was the same, but the issue I had was lack of drive below 2000. My engine makes good torque below that point, but there was very little drive around 1500-1600 rpm. So, the combination of the two was not the best. The stall speed of the new converter will only be known for sure when I test it. It was designed to be around 1600rpm.

The converter has an automatic lock-up, and the parameters for this are adjustable. It also has a manual lock up switch for when it is needed. As far as I know, there is no issue with any torque amount for the converter. Other parts of the box in standard form are considered to be ok up to about 700nm, but no more. If you need to go over this you need some uprated internals in the clutch packs and heat-treating of some components.

Gearbox has been re-fitted and everything sorted ready for testing again when time permits.
looking forward to see how the new TC goes. Hopefully it will stay at 1600 RPM stall speed as it was designed.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Agreed, excited to see how this goes, looking to pick up a chopped GQ with the TB42 in it on gas and do a chang over from that to the TD42 then sell my '06 GU Td42 wagon. Want the tray, don't want to chop my wagon.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
looking forward to see how the new TC goes. Hopefully it will stay at 1600 RPM stall speed as it was designed.
I am doing set up now, as judging the converter accurately will be easier when it is shifting nicely. So I will do a stall test and try and put a number on it when I have the rest sorted to my liking.

But initial impressions are that it is different to the 2000rpm converter, with more drive at lower revs, which is what it needed. So in this respect it is improved. However it is not as low as I was hoping for, and I doubt it is operating at 1600rpm on my engine. I would not be surprised if it is still around 1800rpm or so.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts