Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

after some advice..
im not quite sure if im gonna do it or not, but being as tight as i am..
i might sit on the fence a bit more and see what the money market has to offer.

the old TD42, she needs a turbo.. well she doesnt need it, i want her to hav it :ahah:

im looking at the following;
TD42 external waste gate kit from DSR Turbo in NZ..
DSRTURBO NZ TURBOCHARGER

and,
type 16 water to air intercooler from frozen boost in the US..
Water to Air Intercooler

now, as im not really mechanically minded..
what am i missing that i need to be able to have a complete install?

i know im gonna need an exaust, i can get one made up for for about $300.
the turbo exaust outlet is 2", should i step that up to a 2 1/2 or go 3"?
do i need a dump pipe? what is a dump pipe?

is it safe to use silicone bends with 2.5" SS tubing?
i can pick up SS tubing off cuts for next to nothing, and ill just buy some high quality bends and SS clamps.

now, im not gonna install it, im gonna hav my mechanic sort it for me..
he's about a 15 minute drive from MTQ in Adelaide, im gonna get MTQ to tune it and dyno it.

now, i dont know much history on my truck..
but ive been told, its always been serviced every 5 thousand kms,
and around 4 years ago it had the injectors reconditioned and new glow plugs.
the donk has about 345kms on the clock, but the motor's very clean and dry..,
the IP is a little damp near the bottom O ring seal, but all else is dry..
im not gonna compression test it, as i dont wanna know the answer it may have..

what am i missing?
do i need to do anything else?
any more parts etc?

i realise i may have asked some silly questions,
and i know ill get some silly answers in reply..

but it will all be taken on board.
im hoping i can have it all done, drive away for about $2500, does this seem reasonable?

thanks, OSH.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hi, Turbo outlet being only 2" Sounds small but yeah with room providing step up to 3" all the way through will help with flow and it will boost quicker with less resistance.

Those blue silicone elbow are best for the pipework. They are usually woven multiple times and can handle large boost/ temps and oils. Trucks run them and some run pressures of 60psi or so so its safe to say it will handle it. S/S pipe would be better as any moisture will cause the pipes to surface rust in no time.

With the external waste gate you might get a little more turbo chatter which wouldnt hurt. might just sound more like those jap cars with their dose style whistle.

Going by the pics it seems to be supplied with everything needed to fit. SO looks alright there.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
you will need a pyro gauge.
go a 3" zorst well worth it.
boost gauge is also a good idea.
with 17psi boost you are going to basically be out of fuel from the pump it will not pump enough to really get the full effects of boost.
whats the cost of it all? frozen boost coolers arnt to badly priced but whats the external kit worth?
for the boost your running and what your plans most likely are i cannot see the extra price for an exteral waste gate needed. the internal gates will more than handle the 15 odd psi of boost. plus its more to go wrong. but it does look a good bit of kit.
they are my gripes but otherwise looks pretty good.

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm don't wanna run 17psi, was thinking about 13psi..

would i not be able to use that turbo?
is that turbo too big for what i want?
can i tune the boost with a boost controller?

will defo get pyro and boost gauges!

DSR external wastegate kit, as linked about $1350 to my door.
FB water to air, type 16.. $380 + shipping
3" zaust.. $350
boost & pyro $400
labour.. $??
dyno and tune.. $??

all up and done, i think ill be on the money around 2.5k

just from MTQ, DTS kit is 3.5k with no cooler.
W2A cooler in aus is about $1600

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
you could adjust the boost down from 17 psi but thats what it comes preset at. going by their website.
i cannot really say you would need to speak to them but it seems a kit somewhat designed for a bigger pump than a standard gq pump. but i could be wrong. as external waste gates are getting rather serious for a gq td42.
and to be honest by the time you get the little things sorted id say including tune you will be closer to 3k

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have emailed them, just waiting on a reply.
basically that's what they are selling as a Y60 TD42 kit.
they do an internal wastegate $400 cheaper,
but doesn't seem as 'complete' as the one I've mentioned.

ill wait for a reply and see how i go..

even at 3k, it's still a grand cheaper if not more.

·
Registered
675 Posts
OSH,
It does seem cheap and, according to them, the ducks guts. I like the way it looks. Do you know someone with one fitted?
May be our Kiwi members may know some history.

Looking at the link, it seems to me a few parts are missing, like the oil return line and fitting, the coolant feed and return pipes and fittings. These aren't a big deal or costly, but something you will have to source.

I presume you just want more power and torque for big hills, towing etc., not spinning wheels, dragging off lights, racing etc., if so IMO you don't really need a intercooler, but having said that another thing to consider is your air box. The OEM box is in a terrible position to run your piping, and a bad spot for heat sink. More than that though, if you do want an intercooler now or in the future, you will have to put another air box in, placed where your pre-cleaner is. A common choice is a zd or other GU box's. An air box is usually the third think to consider in the compilation of gear, firstly the turbo of course, then the manni.

A 2.5" exhaust will probably be quite ample for this turbo. Turboglide, for example, will only fit a 2.5". MTQ used to only fit a 2.5 but succumb to buyer pressure, and will now supply a 3" as well.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
459 Posts
hmm don't wanna run 17psi, was thinking about 13psi..

would i not be able to use that turbo?
is that turbo too big for what i want?
can i tune the boost with a boost controller?

will defo get pyro and boost gauges!

DSR external wastegate kit, as linked about $1350 to my door.
FB water to air, type 16.. $380 + shipping
3" zaust.. $350
boost & pyro $400
labour.. $??
dyno and tune.. $??

all up and done, i think ill be on the money around 2.5k

just from MTQ, DTS kit is 3.5k with no cooler.
W2A cooler in aus is about $1600

ahhhh, $2.5K leaves you $20 for labour and tuning??? lol

also your exhaust budget is extremely optomistic. particularly when it requires extra work for the external gate of this setup. external gate is complete overkill for a TD42. An internally gated small frame turbo is all that's needed for a sensible power increase on a TD42.

I'd be worried about the quality of their turbo, and serviceability of the unit. Looks like a rebranded el-cheapo chinese no-name ebay special...

RE boost pressure, that's set by the wastegate spring in this externally gated setup. You can get a lower pressure spring. They should be able to supply that for you. Boost controllers will only be able to give you more boost, and are typically only used on internally gated turbos.

Personally, I'd go with the DTS turbo kit at that price! It comes with everything you need. No nasty little surprises. No need to make your own piping and air cleaner setup. Quality name brand turbo. Proven results.
By the time you collect all this stuff and all the extra little bits and pieces + labour + tune you won't be saving money, it will probably cost more than the DTS kit. And you don't know what sort of quality it is or what the end result will be...

·
Registered
675 Posts
ahhhh, $2.5K leaves you $20 for labour and tuning??? lol

also your exhaust budget is extremely optomistic. particularly when it requires extra work for the external gate of this setup. external gate is complete overkill for a TD42. An internally gated small frame turbo is all that's needed for a sensible power increase on a TD42.

I'd be worried about the quality of their turbo, and serviceability of the unit. Looks like a rebranded el-cheapo chinese no-name ebay special...

RE boost pressure, that's set by the wastegate spring in this externally gated setup. You can get a lower pressure spring. They should be able to supply that for you. Boost controllers will only be able to give you more boost, and are typically only used on internally gated turbos.

Personally, I'd go with the DTS turbo kit at that price! It comes with everything you need. No nasty little surprises. No need to make your own piping and air cleaner setup. Quality name brand turbo. Proven results.
By the time you collect all this stuff and all the extra little bits and pieces + labour + tune you won't be saving money, it will probably cost more than the DTS kit. And you don't know what sort of quality it is or what the end result will be...
Would Have to agree there.

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, a little up date..

the turbo brand is 'TRUST'...

ive emailed them, and now im looking at there internal gated turbo kit, which is $1200NZD..
and it comes with all apropriate fittings, not included is piping for plumbing etc.

im still waiting on a more detailed reply.

as to the exaust quote, for a 3" mild steel exaust turbo back for the shorty $350.00

so, this is what im looking at now..

DSR interal gate turbo kit.. $928 + shipping (less then 1K, no import tax :D)
W2A intercooler kit.. $380 + shipping
3" zorst.. $350
boost and pyro.. $400
plumping.. $200 (i can get 2.5" stainless piping offcuts for a $10 an off cut, leaves a fair amount to get bends/clamps
labour.. $ my mechanic will do it for $30hr, he wants to see the kit b4 giving me an estimate on hours
dyno and tune.. $ still need to contact MTQ in adelaide

is 10 hours enough time to install it?

bascally,
including 10rs labour its going to cost $2158 + shipping and tuning

at the end of the day, if i can get the above listed done for around 3k, id have the biggest laugh going.

in prespective,
i know a MTQ (DTS kit) is $3500 with a 3" zorst..
W2A from FB $380 + shipping (if i was to buy it from aus, W2A is $1500)
then i need labor, dyno and tune?
yes, at the end of the day, i know im going about it a very difficult way..
but im definately saving myself a quite a few pennies..

you could say with just 13psi u dont need a cooler,
but i just want it to keep the donk as cool as i can,
the idea is to save money, not spend it.. i dont wanna rebuild the donk!

when i get the more detailed email from DSR, ill post an update..

·
Registered
459 Posts
lol yes, alot of the generic cheap-arse ebay turbos (that look exactly like that DSR turbos) say they're Trust STYLE...

Take it from a bloke who's owned and played around with R32 GTR, JZA80 Supra, Legnum, 180SX and Aristo over the past 10 years - that IS NOT a Trust/Greddy turbo!

·
Registered
675 Posts
OSH.
Mate, you still haven't addressed the air box problem, and to be honest, it was the cost of a second hand zd box ($225-275) that was the 'straw that broke the camels back' when I was costing all parts to assemble my turbo. It ended up for only $200 more than my price list, could get a DTS installed (early this year btw).

From another thread:

"I paid MTQ in Toowoomba $3,500 for a brand new DTS kit fitted, with a Mitsubishi TD05H Turbo, known, like the TD42 for durability and longevity, complete with GU style air-box (fitted where the pre-cleaner is) & 3" dump pipe, (no exhaust)....
... Along with above you get a 1000k check, 2 Dyno's, 20k-1yr warranty and compliance plate(Qld)."

Have you had any recommendation/feedback from anyone, regarding the kit you are looking at?

Hope you don't think I'm having a go at you OSH, I would just hate it if you 'do it cheap and do it twice'.

Re the cooler; there are hundreds, if not thousands of DTS and other turbo kits fitted to TD42, without coolers, they're just tuned mildly, and I find (so far) this suits.
The final point that sold me on the DTS was the option of the GU style cast air box, while apart from aforementioned reasons, if ever I feel the need for a cooler, it would be a simple fit.

All the Best,
Bruza.

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
im only looking, hey guys...

and im just looking at options.
what ever i am building, i have no idea where its going to lead me!

i may only have it for a short time...

just want to turbo it, to give it a bit more torques to push the 35's around.

ill contact MTQ, and get a more detailed responce!

Bruza,
what sorta boost you running?
what are your EGT's at?
how many kms on the GQ?
has it been rebuilt?

i think ive mentioned, mines got 350k on the clock, and i wanna pushh about 13psi.
the cooler i keep the engine, the better right?
hot motor = damaged motor.. correct?
to do a W2A kit for $500, its a hell of a lot cheaper then a rebuild.

ive got a fair bit to do, before i consider the turbo.
im gonna see what its like running 35's as it is for the moment.

and one other thing, its a TOY..
something to throw money at, cheaper i can do things.. the more i can do!
i dont need huge proven reliability.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only issue I can see with that kit is that it is a cheap ebay turbo. If you do a bit of research on DSR Turbos you will notice that they also wont honour the 12 month warranty.

The bonus of having the cooler on there is if your cheap turbo does implode hopefully the cooler can catch some of it before it gets to the motor. You said you wanted to avoid a rebuild maybe a cheap turbo is not the best option.

On the other hand i chucked a cheap $350 Ebay turbo on my 4g63 which did 85,000 k's before I sold it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
and one other thing, its a TOY..
something to throw money at, cheaper i can do things.. the more i can do!
i dont need huge proven reliability.

OK, I wasn't thinking along these lines, I'm into outback/remote touring, so reliability is paramount. I can now see where your coming from. Disregard every thing I've wasted my time explaining.

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I wasn't thinking along these lines, I'm into outback/remote touring, so reliability is paramount. I can now see where your coming from. Disregard every thing I've wasted my time explaining.
yeah nah, hugely my fault i should have mentioned that in thread starter.

i wanna do the outback/remote type of touring, but yeah this is my first real 4x4...
so this one is just gonna be cheap and alright i guess to learn and have fun in,
i live 15kms from Loveday 4x4 Adventures, so most of its time is gonna be spent out there.

when i step up to do big outback/remote touring, ill get rid of the shorty and buy a GU from Brunswick Diesel.

what you and the other fella has brought up, has still been good. definately hasnt been a waste of time, and i thank both of you for contributing. and seeing that ill be moving it on and not keeping it for ever, im definately going to consider doing a DTS kit, that way when i do go on to sell it, i know i wont be selling a POS and ill get what its worth easier.

just some questions bruza,

what sorta boost you running?
what are your EGT's at?
how many kms on the GQ?
has it been rebuilt?

all information helps.
thanks, Jarryd.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hope you have had a look at turboglide I have just fitted one to my trol and love it I had the local exaust guy fit a 3". My Patrol has 320.000 now running 9lb and really a very drivable car I fitted it in my shed in one day it took longer to get the broken studs out than fit the turbo and no holes in sump
Moary

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did a search for DSR turbo, there is alot of back feed back on NZ based forums.
Most are to do with the poor quality of the turbos and turbo failing very fast.
They all seem to have the same comment about DSR not coming to party with warranty and them basically blaming the customer and telling them to get lost.

The Manifold I don't mind the look of and for the price in AU$ it's cheap and i'd buy one.
But i would be bolting a garret/holset/turbonetics turbo to it. As i really don't think ingesting the shrapnel of a failed turbo is going to do the life of the engine too many favors.

You don't hear any talk of premature failure of the big name turbos, there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope you have had a look at turboglide I have just fitted one to my trol and love it I had the local exaust guy fit a 3". My Patrol has 320.000 now running 9lb and really a very drivable car I fitted it in my shed in one day it took longer to get the broken studs out than fit the turbo and no holes in sump
Moary

just wondering mate was this Turbo-Glide: Nissan TD42 High Mount turbocharger kit the turbo glide kit fitted ??? if so how muc did it cost u as i am very interested in that kit myself .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts