1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Td42 turbo diy from scratch "FINISHED"

Hey all
been thinknig of doing this for a while now so i started yesterday by making my manifold, i was going to build a J pipe but i actually worked out easier and quiker to build a minifold, next things to do is get a T3 flange to adapt the VG30turbo to the Mani, i also bought all my 3" tube and U bends to build the exaust as soon as i get the turbo mounted. then wory about the cooler piping oil and water line later, JUST WINGIN IT

i am planning to have this finished within the next couple of weeks so ill do my best to capture progress and share it with ya.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Looks good , well done for having a crack your self .
I you cant see it in the pic's , but I assume you put a V ( weld prep ) between all the
but-weld's on the T-pieces and the elbows . .

Keep us updated on how it all come's togeather

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate, Yeah as i had to cut the T peices down i did end up rebeveling the ends before i fully welded it.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
from who/where did you pickup the manifold flange ? .

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pacemaker/autopace in jandakot according to them it was one of the last in WA in there system. but im sure they make them up. cost me $90 through muffler mike in WA

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
long radius 50mm steam pipe. with 50mm tees.

heres some pics of the mani 99% complete just needs abit of a quick clean up. mokked the turbo up yesterday and you wouldnt belive that a SS 3" dump pipe from a skyline fitted in snug and spot on.

it will be a low mount

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think it has somthing to do with using a water jet cutter they have to start from an edge maybe. not sure really

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quick update, bit of a Mock up and the dump pipe

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the mani and exaust has cost me $420, the turbo will be around $200 the cooler and pipe will cost me nothing as i already have most of lying around, and i am unsure what the oil/water line will cost to get made up. should be able to have it all done for less than a grand hopefully including the EGT gauge

·
Registered
122 Posts
That looks good. Very simmilar to how my manilfold was made. Awesome work.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Mate

finished the dump and also started on the rest should have the exaust done by tomorrow

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,060 Posts
Doing well. I was considering going down this same path untill I came across a factory setup.

What stamping is on the turbo? V1, 2,3 ,or 4?.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that turbos a blown RB20 job jus using it for a mock up the VG'sand RB's have the same flanges

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok well the exaustis finished i forgot to take a photo of the tail end of it but the one below is from the g/b cross member to the diff, and i also got the cooler mocked up alowing room for a thermo fan.goint to build the scoop next and a turbo sheild, i shoulld have most of my oil and water lines done tomorrow and i get the RB25 turbo on tuesday, come next weekend end ill be done hopefully.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From my experience. The Rb25 turbo is pretty good, Mine is set to 12 psi, but below 2000 rpm wont get above 5 psi, and 2500 rpm gets to 9 psi. I am thinking of trying an Rb20 turbo for more bottom end pull.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And what cooler is that?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts