Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did an oil change on the patrol today and I think it's using some oil. It's a 2001 factory turbo. It has 225k on the clock. It doesn't blow smoke, it doesn't leak oil that I've seen (but afaik the rear main has never been done) but it looks like it's used between 1.5 and 2 litres in 5000k. Now it's possible that figure is actually closer to 1L given my measuring on the last full wasn't great but it's used at least 1L.
What's considered acceptable for a td42?

·
Registered
nissan
243 Posts
I have a 2000 4.2 factory turbo, no smoke, no engine mods, and havn't used any measurable oil in the last 5000k incl return trip to Melb from Nowra NSW.:)

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
rear main

yeah i have a td42, 445000kms , and it always seemed to use , about a litre between changes, sometimes a bit less, put it down to age , so did a clutch 6 months ago , new rear main , and everything else I could change while it was a part , and he did say It was leaking a little bit ( not really noticeable on driveway etc.)
any way , last 6 months and 2 changes later , doesn't seem to used a drop! and thats with adding a turbo 4000kms ago.

I use shell rimula r4x oil , but in saying that if everything else is all good , and it uses a little bit , say less than a litre per 5000kms, I wouldn't worry to much , ha ha I have operated earth-moving gear ( big stuff, but some high hours) that use 50 litres per shift!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 2000 4.2td owned since new with 270,000km coming up has never used oil in between 5000km services which I have always done myself.
New clutch fitted 2 years ago and rear main seal was not touched.

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not saying anyone is not telling the truth but how does an engine not use any oil? Your going to generate oil vapour as part of normal running and that's going to get burnt, your also going to get a bit of oil go past the rings, surely an engine using .5 to 1 litres per 5000 would be normal?

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I do 10 000 km services and mine goes from the high mark to just above the low mark in this time so it probably use's a bit under a litre.its always been this way when I bought it at 100 000kms up to 360 000kms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts