Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,474 Posts
With a bit of luck could be a crook injector.

With engine idling, loosen nut at top of each injector where fuel line goes in one by one until it dribbles fuel and see if noise stops. Then re tighten and go to next one. With a bit of luck one of them will stop the noise, and replace that injector. (Or better still get them all serviced/replaced)

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Td42. Silver top has a pretty load ticking in top end at idle but comes and goes. When reved it gets louder but also fades now and then
I'm going to start with the obvious as it is important to know now and not later. Have you had your valve clearances checked?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Whats the service history, tappets need adjusting every 20,000 K's or annually I do mine. And then theres the TD42 Musical Tick Note that They all seem to have , Mines had it from new. Like your symptoms.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Whats the service history, tappets need adjusting every 20,000 K's or annually I do mine. And then theres the TD42 Musical Tick Note that They all seem to have , Mines had it from new. Like your symptoms.

every 20 thou jesus maybe ill have to do mine oneday

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
precombustion chamber come loose in the head
Wow.

Plausible, but let's not worry him too much.

This possibility is way down the troubleshooting path with this problem I would have thought. We don't need to rip the head off at this stage. Maybe in the future but not yet.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
From the Service Manual.
Be wary of manual maintenance schedules. This is a classic one. Tappet clearances shouldn't need adjusting every 20k. However if people can't do it themselves they will book into Mr Nissan (he hopes) every 20k to get it done. If you can do it yourself go for it and tweak them every 20k but really it takes longer than that generally. After 70k on mine after purchace (114k) I checked. They needed no adjustment. Well not really. It was hardly worth the effort. After another 70k they are getting a little bit noisier on a cold morning so it is probably time for a look.

If anybody follows their manual down to the word your vehicle will be over serviced and have cost you a **** load more than it should've.

Sorry guys not having a go at you, just the guys who are paid to design and write the manuals for maximum profit.

Rant over

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Get what you mean, Mine have been out by 3 thou.+ over a 12 month period, but most times not to bad, I just do it with my pre-summer coolant service every year, 15 minute job nearly lol. theres allways one or two that need adjustment.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Get what you mean, Mine have been out by 3 thou.+ over a 12 month period, but most times not to bad, I just do it with my pre-summer coolant service every year, 15 minute job nearly lol. theres allways one or two that need adjustment.
Mate glad you saw as I did. If you can do it yourself, like tinkering and have in your own maintenance routine it will only do good. I just feel sorry for those who pay someone to do everything just because the manual says. Needed or not.

Haven't done it for 70k. What's the trick to doing it in 15 mins. LOL. Yes I know it's quite easy but so are heaps of those jobs. So they say.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
I stick pretty much to the oil schedule from the manual , except for the front diff and how much use it gets. I do the tappets after dumpimg coolant ( Cold ) fill with water on its own, run to operating temp. wait a bit then do tappets, dump water and flush etc. thermostat, new coolant/demin. water, then she's ready for summer. Oh removing glow plugs makes it quicker and easier for tappets.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Wow.

Plausible, but let's not worry him too much.

This possibility is way down the troubleshooting path with this problem I would have thought. We don't need to rip the head off at this stage. Maybe in the future but not yet.
it was only my suggestion after I chased a ticking sound for ages in my old one..went away when cracking injector so replaced injectors, sound got louder, got tappets all redone to eliminate any wear and tear (they round over underneath so you cant get a proper reading with a feeler gauge), noise still there... pulled head off and precombustion chamber was loose in number 4...it is actually pretty common in these as they are purely a press fit and if you do a lot of towing and the head gets heat into it the chamber heats and cools different to the head and simply comes loose...they also crack quite regularly..

I was only throwing it out there for when he has eliminated everything else that is easy to diagnose..

if it is this you will notice it more when you just put your foot on the accelerator without loading the engine up as the chamber will flutter in the head

dave

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts