Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I think he is stretching the facts a little/alot. But $1200 for the adapter is pretty good. I wish it was around when i started my swap.
30 hours to do the swap. i bet the engine bay looks like a dogs breakfast with radiator and intake hoses criss crossing all over the place. Plus no mention of what to do with the wiring.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,235 Posts
He makes some interesting points on old vs new engine design, well worth the time spent watching, the 4jj1 seems to have a good reputation.
One of these decades, if my TD blows up, such a conversion would be on the list.
By that time, EV's may be our only option.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some good points but very biased towards the 4jj1. I cant comment on the power and economy figures but i suspect that is not comparing the 4jj1 in a 3t brick with 33/35" tyres.
Secondly good luck getting a motor for $4k let alone $2k and that wont come with a gbox that you need for the adapter kit.
I called around the other day and one of the biggest motor wreckers on the east coast had 1 4jj1 in stock and from an 07 rodeo. Think it was $4500. So not readily available.

I got a 300hp clutch from npc for my conversion 3 years ago and it was $1280. Just bought a stock exedy the other day for my work ute and was $780. So clutch is definitley not cheaper.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Very biased indeed, it all comes down to the reputation which the TD42 has achieved over the years, i had the privilege (NOT) of owing a holden jackaroo in a past life, i was new on 4x4s then and people were telling me its an izuzu motor its solid and great motors, ended up bieng a nightmare. Right after that nightmare i became a proud owner of a GQ TD42 which i still own and never looked back..The only reason i think most TD42 motors are dead is because they keep getting molested with turbos that didnt come factory then the greed for boost beyond what they can handle. Many times my mates tell me to turbo the old girl but i refuse, i always say to them if i wanted a turbo i would get a GU TD42 or a safari GQ that actually came out with a turbo from factory.Other thing is this isuzu motor he talks about comes out of a plastic fantastic vehicle compared to all steel heavy like patrols. One would bet you wont get the reliability of it as you do from the old TD42. Sorry for the rant but
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very biased indeed, it all comes down to the reputation which the TD42 has achieved over the years, i had the privilege (NOT) of owing a holden jackaroo in a past life, i was new on 4x4s then and people were telling me its an izuzu motor its solid and great motors, ended up bieng a nightmare. Right after that nightmare i became a proud owner of a GQ TD42 which i still own and never looked back..The only reason i think most TD42 motors are dead is because they keep getting molested with turbos that didnt come factory then the greed for boost beyond what they can handle. Many times my mates tell me to turbo the old girl but i refuse, i always say to them if i wanted a turbo i would get a GU TD42 or a safari GQ that actually came out with a turbo from factory.Other thing is this isuzu motor he talks about comes out of a plastic fantastic vehicle compared to all steel heavy like patrols. One would bet you wont get the reliability of it as you do from the old TD42. Sorry for the rant but
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT..
Just to be clear the td42 is a great motor and if it wasnt for the hit and miss experiences when it comes to rebuilding said motor i would probably never own any other engine. (Oh yeah and its cooling issues now i live in a humid climate).
The context of the td42 being 'dead' is in relation to conversions only.

As far as reputation over the years the 4jj1 has been around nearly 15 years and is used in their light truck so when appropriately geared they are designed for 'heavy' use.
I dont think its fair to compare them from a mechanical point of view but their application shares similar lines.
And not to go too far off topic but most dead td42's arent from putting a turbo on an NA td42 but more a combination of bad turbo choice, air flow to said turbo and bad tuning. (Oh and the odd over heating issue)
So to make good reliable power from an NA (or factory turbo for that matter) you are looking at around $8k minimum.
A set of injector tips and a piggyback ecu will get you 200hp on a 4jj1 for under $3k.
Forged pistons, rods and billet cranks are available for the 4jj1 and a full build to handle 700hp is somewhere around $25k.
Definitely not everyones cup of tea but they can push out 1000hp and have seen 7 sec quarter mile times.

But like you said if you have a td42 and it aint broke, dont fix it. Atleast if the time comes there is another option out there.

·
Registered
Nissan
480 Posts
Just to be clear the td42 is a great motor and if it wasnt for the hit and miss experiences when it comes to rebuilding said motor i would probably never own any other engine. (Oh yeah and its cooling issues now i live in a humid climate).

As far as reputation over the years the 4jj1 has been around nearly 15 years and is used in their light truck so when appropriately geared they are designed for 'heavy' use.
I dont think its fair to compare them from a mechanical point of view but their application shares similar lines.
And not to go too far off topic but most dead td42's arent from putting a turbo on an NA td42 but more a combination of bad turbo choice, air flow to said turbo and bad tuning. (Oh and the odd over heating issue)
So to make good reliable power from an NA (or factory turbo for that matter) you are looking at around $8k minimum.
A set of injector tips and a piggyback ecu will get you 200hp on a 4jj1 for under $3k.
Forged pistons, rods and billet cranks are available for the 4jj1 and a full build to handle 700hp is somewhere around $25k.
Definitely not everyones cup of tea but they can push out 1000hp and have seen 7 sec quarter mile times.

But like you said if you have a td42 and it aint broke, dont fix it. Atleast if the time comes there is another option out there.
well said. It's all interesting for the discussion.

I think unless what you're after is mongrolised hybrid then stick to factory engines of which the TD42T is the best. Claimed price of an adapted conversion even if it is more apparently affordable, and can make insane figures?? Should notbe the only factors in choosing to do a conversion. The TD42 will not die before it's time so that's all fiction. I'd bet money quite a few have regretted going that conversion path too, not just at selling time.

·
Registered
Nissan
480 Posts
Let's not forget theres way more Patrols in Australia running TD42 than was released from facory not because TD engines are easy to find s/h, cause they aren't !! I think they are more popular thaan ever for reasons others have pointed out too.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well said. It's all interesting for the discussion.

I think unless what you're after is mongrolised hybrid then stick to factory engines of which the TD42T is the best. Claimed price of an adapted conversion even if it is more apparently affordable, and can make insane figures?? Should notbe the only factors in choosing to do a conversion. The TD42 will not die before it's time so that's all fiction. I'd bet money quite a few have regretted going that conversion path too, not just at selling time.
I have said it before. If you dont have the ability to do a conversion it is probably best to not own a converted car. Unless of course its just a toy and money and reliability arent top priority.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts

Good points there and very valid. But i suppose if anyone looking at 700 or 1000hp one would suggest they should be in a rice burner not a 4x4. I dont think 4x4s are ment for speed.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,501 Posts
Unless you have lots of Dubai $$$.

·
Registered
Nissan
480 Posts
Good points there and very valid. But i suppose if anyone looking at 700 or 1000hp one would suggest they should be in a rice burner not a 4x4. I dont think 4x4s are ment for speed.
Or a rice grenade lol, that naughty word again, but not talking about ZD's. TD hate should neither be tollerated ! LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,408 Posts
I called around the other day and one of the biggest motor wreckers on the east coast had 1 4jj1 in stock and from an 07 rodeo. Think it was $4500. So not readily available.
That is drug money for that motor. I had an 07 Rodeo with the 4JJ1-TC. It was replaced under warranty at 30 thousand klms. It was a great car until then and was never the same. Traded it on my Patrol at 60 thousand klms and at the end of its warranty.

The 4JJ1 are a great engine, but like any did have some issues (major) when first released.

We now have a 4JJ1-TCX and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 4JJ1 are a great engine, but like any did have some issues (major) when first released.

We now have a 4JJ1-TCX and so far so good.
Do you know what these major issues were and what the fix was?
Unfortunately there isnt much info on the internet about the nitty gritty of these motors, unlike the td42.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,408 Posts
Do you know what these major issues were and what the fix was?
Unfortunately there isnt much info on the internet about the nitty gritty of these motors, unlike the td42.
Holden had a hush hush recall on these early motors. They were inspected when they came in for scheduled service. From what I was told carbon would build up in the top end. This would make it way into the sump and block the oil pickup.

I only found out because my next door neighbor at the time (and still a good friend) was a service manager for a dealer. He told me to bring it to him for the next service. They took the rocker cover off the top of my motor, took photos and sent them to Holden. A new long motor was then dispatched. Manifold, turbo the works. Three days later I got my car back.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holden had a hush hush recall on these early motors. They were inspected when they came in for scheduled service. From what I was told carbon would build up in the top end. This would make it way into the sump and block the oil pickup.

I only found out because my next door neighbor at the time (and still a good friend) was a service manager for a dealer. He told me to bring it to him for the next service. They took the rocker cover off the top of my motor, took photos and sent them to Holden. A new long motor was then dispatched. Manifold, turbo the works. Three days later I got my car back.
Maybe just a bad batch of injector seats?

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,408 Posts
I guess that depends on your definition of BROKE. A good friend bought a GQ TD42 brand new that could not do 100k/h with his horse float on the back. In his opinion (and mine) that equates to BROKE which is why he put a turbo on it.
I had a NA GQ for years. Never turboed but should have. It was the second slowest car I ever owned. The first slowest being a NA SD33. Now that is slow.

Anyways our 4JJ1-TCX in our Dmax runs rings around my GUTD42T. If it lasts as long well that will be another thing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts