Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a NA GQ for years. Never turboed but should have. It was the second slowest car I ever owned. The first slowest being a NA SD33. Now that is slow.

Anyways our 4JJ1-TCX in our Dmax runs rings around my GUTD42T. If it lasts as long well that will be another thing.
Also don't forget the base Dmax is 500Kgs lighter than the base GU. The 4JJ1 is a nice motor but its a hard ask to compare a old style diesel to a modern diesel. I would love to see what a TD42ti could do if it had a modern electronic injection system.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,417 Posts
Also don't forget the base Dmax is 500Kgs lighter than the base GU. The 4JJ1 is a nice motor but its a hard ask to compare a old style diesel to a modern diesel. I would love to see what a TD42ti could do if it had a modern electronic injection system.
I have not forgotten that the 4.2 has an extra two cylinders and 1.2 litres capacity, so I think it is a reasonable comparison.

FWIW we are crossing the Simpson desert in August. I know which car I am taking ;).

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,125 Posts
I would love to see what a TD42ti could do if it had a modern electronic injection system.
I think the main benefits to be gained by electronic injection is fuel economy and exhaust emissions although you will never get good emissions with a precom head. The only way to get better power is with more air and fuel, and you don't need electronic injection for that.

What I would like to see is a six cylinder version of the common rail ZD30 or even of the 4JJ1. That would give a modern design with a 4.5 litre capacity. Surely the Land Cruiser can't be only vehicle there is such a market for.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,857 Posts
Even just direct injection would help. There was a mob theat posted on here a few years ago that they were developing such a beast (bolt on direct injection head for TD42s), but there's been nothing posted for ages.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think the main benefits to be gained by electronic injection is fuel economy and exhaust emissions although you will never get good emissions with a precom head. The only way to get better power is with more air and fuel, and you don't need electronic injection for that.

What I would like to see is a six cylinder version of the common rail ZD30 or even of the 4JJ1. That would give a modern design with a 4.5 litre capacity. Surely the Land Cruiser can't be only vehicle there is such a market for.
Dont bmw and mercedes have 6 cyl common rail motors?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,777 Posts
What I would like to see is a six cylinder version of the common rail ZD30 or even of the 4JJ1.
I was told Nissan did look into this years ago, but couldn't justify the development cost. There was a ZD with compound turbo's that was used in some light trucks at some point. I believe this engine even met EuroV emission standards.

Wasn't V9X common-rail? I always wonder why they didn't do more with this engine, although from what I've heard they are quite expensive.

Dont bmw and mercedes have 6 cyl common rail motors?
Yes they do. And they do some bloody good ones as well. Every ambulance in Australia has an OM642 V6 and one of the main reasons the ambulance services stick with them is because of their reliability.

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
235 Posts
Every ambulance in Australia has an OM642 V6 and one of the main reasons the ambulance services stick with them is because of their reliability.
yes, lots of engine reliability stories are hearsay etc but MB OM642 engines do not have a good reputation. do a quick web search and many horror stories. not sure if and how the ambos have avoided.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,269 Posts
Cummins 6BT. You have a choice of engines, including common rail if you want one.

Big advantage I can see is that it will do everything you need without needing mods that push the limits of any component on the engine.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,777 Posts
Cummins 6BT. You have a choice of engines, including common rail if you want one.

Big advantage I can see is that it will do everything you need without needing mods that push the limits of any component on the engine.
I always thought 6BT is a good option as well, but they're just too heavy for a Patrol. Requires too much other stuff to make it work properly, IMO.

Love the Skid factory one though.

@patrol97's 4-cyl Cummins ISDE would be a good engine if you could get it in CRD.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,391 Posts
I always thought 6BT is a good option as well, but they're just too heavy for a Patrol. Requires too much other stuff to make it work properly, IMO.

Love the Skid factory one though.

@patrol97's 4-cyl Cummins ISDE would be a good engine if you could get it in CRD.
I thought his engine was CRD?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

With the GQ gvm of only 2800kg, weight is a major factor. And a max towing capacity of 2500kg I think a 6bt would be wasted.
Not saying it wouldnt be nice to drive or may be a good option in a GU.
Power to weight the ls swap wins hands down. But sticking to diesels the 4jj1 is about 100kg lighter than td42. Plus i am using the isuzu gearbox too and there is a significant weight saving there too.

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
235 Posts
I think this is it. if yes, isde 180-30 4.5litre, it's a common rail.

also from Patrol97
This is today, the nearly finished Cummins Commrail 4.5 with 270hp and 800nm top rpm are 3700

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,142 Posts
Just read this post. to be honest, the isde4.5 common rail engine is the best engine for our patrol. My conversion was finished back in early 2019 and I was the 1st person to get it fully running and engineered in this country, now the engine has done more than 50,000km since it was first installed. Powerful, yet smooth and quiet. Never need to worry about overheating, egt, etc. It is just perfect. For other engines : I had tried the 6bt which was way too noisy, and big vibration. See my built thread for more details. I supply this 4.5 as well to Australia market. have sold few to our Australia patrol owners, both GU and GQ

Reactions: jackbyo and AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,777 Posts
Just read this post. to be honest, the isde4.5 common rail engine is the best engine for our patrol. My conversion was finished back in early 2019 and I was the 1st person to get it fully running and engineered in this country, now the engine has done more than 50,000km since it was first installed. Powerful, yet smooth and quiet. Never need to worry about overheating, egt, etc. It is just perfect. For other engines : I had tried the 6bt which was way too noisy, and big vibration. See my built thread for more details. I supply this 4.5 as well to Australia market. have sold few to our Australia patrol owners, both GU and GQ
Any plans on bringing one in that meets EuroVI so that 2007+ GU owners can also consider it?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,269 Posts
I would think putting a 6bt in a GQ would be not worth the effort. You would need to put it in a manual box spec GU wagon, that way you would have 3500kg towing. And in regards to weight, a GVM upgrade would be needed, which many of us need anyway.

But it certainly is a big job, so not for the faint hearted. And not cheap either.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,142 Posts
Any plans on bringing one in that meets EuroVI so that 2007+ GU owners can also consider it?
At moment, I have not considered to bring Euro4 4.5 common rail engine into the country due to additional emission devices add on more cost and complexity.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sort of a side track to the conversation, but found this government info useful, about the dates for Euro compliance. Maybe it's already covered in this forum.

(diesel only):
"Light Diesel Vehicles
Euro 2 adopted in ADR79/00 from 1/1/02 to 1/1/03
Euro 3 never formally adopted
Euro 4 adopted in ADR79/01 from 1/1/06 to 1/1/07
Euro 5 adopted in ADR79/03 (Core Euro 5) from 1/11/13 and ADR79/04 (Full Euro 5) from 1/11/16.

The Australian Government is currently considering the case for adopting Euro 6 through the Ministerial Forum on Vehicle Emissions. For further information, please visit Vehicle safety & the environment.
# in each case, the first date applies to vehicle models first produced on or after that date, with all new vehicles required to comply by the second date."

Source is in the attached, found at this website:Vehicle Emission Standards

According to this Euro2 was the requirement, right through from 2002/2003 to Euro4 being mandatory from 2006/2007 through to 2013, when Euro5 kicked in.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 68 Posts