Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,125 Posts
The nicest Patrol conversion
Just read this post. to be honest, the isde4.5 common rail engine is the best engine for our patrol
Of all the diesel conversions in a Patrol I've tried I'd say the best was a Toyota 1HDFTE4.2. I have my doubts that a 4 cylinder Cummins would be any nicer but unfortunately that Toyota engine is highly sought after and extremely hard to find, even overseas. Having said that the nicest conversions I've been in have always been the LS autos. Quiet, smooth and gutsy, shame about the economy.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,391 Posts
The nicest Patrol co

Of all the diesel conversions in a Patrol I've tried I'd say the best was a Toyota 1HDFTE4.2. I have my doubts that a 4 cylinder Cummins would be any nicer but unfortunately that Toyota engine is highly sought after and extremely hard to find, even overseas. Having said that the nicest conversions I've been in have always been the LS autos. Quiet, smooth and gutsy, shame about the economy.
I am a believer in these. A shame about emissions...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,142 Posts
The nicest Patrol co

I had driven Toyota 1hd before, it was a very nice engine. Now I have been driving the Cummins 4.5 for more than 2 years. The Toyota is a very nice engine. The Cummins is also very smooth, yet lots more power and torque. Now wonder People who tested drive my Cummins patrol bought the engine staright away. If you are in Sydney, you are welcome to get a real feel how the Cummins 4.5 can do. Also the Cummins 4.5 has much lass number of the parts. You can change fuel pump in 30 minutes, power steering pump in 20 minutes, change 4 injectors in an hour. Change oil pump in an hour..., change the turbo charger in less than 30 mins, Change cylinder head in two hours - you dont need to removed the injectors when replacing /removing the cylinder head, just the bolts, and most time the head does not need to be re-machined when replacing the head gasket! it a solid cast iron)........no timing chain....plenty of room in the engine bay to access parts or add on other staff.....very easy for average DIY personal to work on.....where on earth you can get such simple design and reliable engine...it is a commercial truck engine which will outlast our car. I was in Cummins factory back in 2018, I assembled a whole 4.5, it was so much easier to work on than any engines I had seen. immediately I believed this is the right engine for both Landcruiser and Patrol.
Trust me, once you have the Cummins, you will not look for anything else....

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Another very promising engine option is the nice little V6 Gale Banks 630T, V6 3.0L Diesel. That is extremely promising specifications and development second to none, until you check the price unfortunately low production numbers and availability put it off the scale.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
Prices start from $28,985
😳😳😳😳

·
Registered
1 Posts

I think he is stretching the facts a little/alot. But $1200 for the adapter is pretty good. I wish it was around when i started my swap.
30 hours to do the swap. i bet the engine bay looks like a dogs breakfast with radiator and intake hoses criss crossing all over the place. Plus no mention of what to do with the wiring.
my TD45 has served me very well without any add on. but I guise it depends on what you want to use the vehicle for
okumu

·
Registered
Nissan
490 Posts
Cummins 6BT. You have a choice of engines, including common rail if you want one.

Big advantage I can see is that it will do everything you need without needing mods that push the limits of any component on the engine.
YepI agree it would be the only option I'd look at if I needed that much which I don't, I particularly was impressed with the design of the stock cummins water pump.

If td's were dead which they arent, wghat would that say about ZD's. Not even RD's are dead yet LOL

·
Registered
Nissan
490 Posts
The nicest Patrol co

The 4BT apparently has a massive amount of vibration, bad harmonics being 4 cyl for a start, 6cyl are a better balanced engine in general.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
The 6BT is unfortunately just so bloody heavy that you need to do a lot of chassis rail strengthening, front diff work and weight reduction to be able to make the weight limits.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
YepI agree it would be the only option I'd look at if I needed that much which I don't, I particularly was impressed with the design of the stock cummins water pump.

If td's were dead which they arent, wghat would that say about ZD's. Not even RD's are dead yet LOL
TDs aren't dead yet, they are just getting very old. The difficulty is trying to finding a good condition 15 to 25 year old motor that's worth bothering spending money on.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,269 Posts
Yes, if you are prepared for the work to fit the 6BT, then after the work and cost, the big down side is the weight. It would need to be done in conjunction with a serious GVM upgrade, such as an upgraded axle or 6 wheel conversion I think, unless you just wanted to tow with it.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,857 Posts
I make no claim for the accuracy of the following.

I have been told the 6BT is only 55kg heavier than a TD42, when both are in full battle trim (accessories, etc attached). While I agree 55kg is more than a couple of feathers, it's nowhere near what I would have tipped (120-150kg heavier).

I know that weight is bang over the front axle, but moving 2 batteries out of the engine bay would damn near balance the load.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The 4BT apparently has a massive amount of vibration, bad harmonics being 4 cyl for a start, 6cyl are a better balanced engine in general.
the 4bt and the 6bt both are very noisy and vibrating. They are reliable engines if you don't mind the noise and vibration. However, the isde4.5 and 6.7 are different design and they are much more smoother and quieter due to improvement in the design ( relocated the timing case from the front to the rear). People based on the theory think that any big 4 cylinder diesel will be vibrating like a hell, this is not the case in my real world experience. My ISDE4.5 ( I use 4 ZD engine mounts) is as smooth as ZD30 at idle or in the motion at any speed. And at idling, the noise level inside the cabin is about 56 DBA, it is almost the same level as ZD30, while the 6bt at idling, in side car the noise level is 79 DBA! . I had also tried both 4.5 and 6bt trucks while I was the the factory. This was the main reason I switched from ( already ordered) 6bt to the 4.5. For the vibration part: Many people put in 'heavy duty' engine mount with their Cummins engine, this create much bigger vibration. In 6bt Patrol, I have tried tested drive both 'heavy duty' engine mount 6bt and TD42 engine mount 6bt manual, the 6bt with TD42 mount is smoother. Doing the engine conversion, I gained lots of real experience. and learnt a lot from this forum and also from others. Today, it is much easier to learnt some information from others before make the decision. At least we have lots of real world reference or examples. If we have not chance to hear or try the 6bt or the 4.5, I believe most people will go for the 6bt like what I did in the very beginning. Also the 6bt is lot cheaper compared to the 4.5. Thanks god, in the last minutes, I changed my mind.....

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,734 Posts
I make no claim for the accuracy of the following.

I have been told the 6BT is only 55kg heavier than a TD42, when both are in full battle trim (accessories, etc attached). While I agree 55kg is more than a couple of feathers, it's nowhere near what I would have tipped (120-150kg heavier).

I know that weight is bang over the front axle, but moving 2 batteries out of the engine bay would damn near balance the load.
The problem though, is that the TD42 is borderline on the front axle.

Moving weight to the rear just increases the problem at rear axle...

·
Registered
Nissan
490 Posts
the 4bt and the 6bt both are very noisy and vibrating. They are reliable engines if you don't mind the noise and vibration. However, the isde4.5 and 6.7 are different design and they are much more smoother and quieter due to improvement in the design ( relocated the timing case from the front to the rear). People based on the theory think that any big 4 cylinder diesel will be vibrating like a hell, this is not the case in my real world experience. My ISDE4.5 ( I use 4 ZD engine mounts) is as smooth as ZD30 at idle or in the motion at any speed. And at idling, the noise level inside the cabin is about 56 DBA, it is almost the same level as ZD30, while the 6bt at idling, in side car the noise level is 79 DBA! . I had also tried both 4.5 and 6bt trucks while I was the the factory. This was the main reason I switched from ( already ordered) 6bt to the 4.5. For the vibration part: Many people put in 'heavy duty' engine mount with their Cummins engine, this create much bigger vibration. In 6bt Patrol, I have tried tested drive both 'heavy duty' engine mount 6bt and TD42 engine mount 6bt manual, the 6bt with TD42 mount is smoother. Doing the engine conversion, I gained lots of real experience. and learnt a lot from this forum and also from others. Today, it is much easier to learnt some information from others before make the decision. At least we have lots of real world reference or examples. If we have not chance to hear or try the 6bt or the 4.5, I believe most people will go for the 6bt like what I did in the very beginning. Also the 6bt is lot cheaper compared to the 4.5. Thanks god, in the last minutes, I changed my mind.....
Your rig sounds very nice mate.

TDs aren't dead yet, they are just getting very old. The difficulty is trying to finding a good condition 15 to 25 year old motor that's worth bothering spending money on.
That's true they are OLD and not easy to find a good one, not too hard yet though. Not cheap but cheaper than much of what's being discussed here. Nothing wrong with OLD in fact that attests to why it's the go to diesel nissan engine, it's simple nut the costs to get extra performance than stock arent low. But same goes for anything in the same category like Toyots 6cyl.

Don't forget you can buy these TD42T new Nissan crate engines still today in Australia, seen them as low as 9,900 and up to 14,990 ! What's wrong with buying one of those, putting a new UFI pump on it and a good turbo ???

For the TD enthusiast what is lacking still is a billet performance block, it's been talked about but it still is not available and don't hold your breath. There is a market for them and even without theres still a long future for TD I believe. And still fairly affordable and sensible option for those who arent trying to break guiness records :LOL:

Needless to say though some of these options sound very tempting but it's the price and time and effort that kills them, well done to those who've found an option that meets their needs theres nothing wrong with trying something different but for me the means nead to justify the ends and vice versa.

Theres converted Patrols are for sale for insane figures live 50-60 k, this tells me people think or hope they will get their money back which is never the case even with stock, and that they dont hold on to them why???. At the end of the day it's a over valued converted vehicle, which is nearly enough to buy something new or still under warranty with better power output, but these conversions are still obvuiously worth it for patrol lovers who have to have the king of patrols or for towing etc.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I talked to a friend in Europe, he is going to use BMW's M57 for his trol. In EU, the m57 conversion for the patrol is quiet popular and parts are easily available and cheap. There are lots of M57 for sales in Australia as well. off course, for a bmw engine, replace the timing chain on the rear is a must before installing the engine. Just wondering if those Euro workshop can do kits for the right hand driver patrol.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
the numbers of the Patrols on the road are declining. Recent 14,000km trip Sydney to WA, I have see lots more Landcruisers (lc200, prado, hilux) in all caravan parks we have been. very few Patrols around ......what a pity.

Reactions: Marko_SJ
41 - 60 of 68 Posts