Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after a big search through the forum I've decided to try upping the boost a little on my motor.
The GFB Atomic boost controller has arrived today, I ordered that after seeing it being recommended by DieselTuner on here.

My goal is to have slighty more response and to lower the EGT's whilst heading up the long climbs of our high passes in NZ.

My motor has an upgraded Patrolapart airbox with snorkel and 3" exhaust.
Currently it makes a max of 8psi, and has no visible smoke even when working up big hills at open road speed.

Egt's go between 500-540 on long climbs.

My plan is to put on the boost controller this weekend and have a play around.
I was looking at setting it to the current level, 8 psi and increasing until perhaps 10-11 psi.

Ideally I would like to give the rig to a dyno tuner, but I live a long(for NZ) way from any, so that'll have to wait until my next block of time off work.

So, is this a foolhardy affair?

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,471 Posts
If it is a HT18(?) no use going over 12.

My clutch is just tired 315 00 klms and still original. Shudders now after a highway run.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I didn’t use a boost controller, I just wound my fuel screw in by half a turn from where it was set years ago by the shop that overhauled my pump. Just this half turn resulted in a noticeable increase in power. The EGTs will climb up over 550 on serious hills, but mostly it sits around 300 - 350 for normal highway driving. When I finally got around to fitting a boost gauge I found it hits a max of 14psi. This is with a TD05 16G turbo as fitted by DTS. No intercooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,318 Posts
I didn’t use a boost controller, I just wound my fuel screw in by half a turn from where it was set years ago by the shop that overhauled my pump. Just this half turn resulted in a noticeable increase in power. The EGTs will climb up over 550 on serious hills, but mostly it sits around 300 - 350 for normal highway driving. When I finally got around to fitting a boost gauge I found it hits a max of 14psi. This is with a TD05 16G turbo as fitted by DTS. No intercooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I take it you do not have a boost compensated pump??? With a compensated pump I would not advise adjusting the fuel screw first up.

I have used that GFB boost controller and it works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts