Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently purchased a 99 GU TD42T Wagon.
I would like to upgrade the dump pipe to a bigger one that includes a bung for EGT probe.
Just wondering what options i should consider. I have searched and browsed. It seems my options include Scott's, Beaudesert, Redback, Denco and this one on ebay also seems ok -
Nissan Patrol 3" Turbo Dump Pipe GU 4.2L Diesel CAST (eBay item 170545945375 end time 26-Jan-11 01:45:58 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I like the look of the cast Denco one (instead of mild steel cheaper ones) as it seems more durable and includes the bung for EGT and price seems ok...
Online Store - Denco Diesel & Turbo

Has anyone bought one of these or recommend something else?

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I just installed a Scotts dump pipe and they welded in a threaded bung for an EGT for an extra $10, they will need to know what thread you will need. Auto meter gauges use a 1/8 NPT thread for their EGT. Very happy with Scotts Rods service, I emailed them through ebay on Friday evening and they had the bung welded in on Monday, received on Wednesday.

The one I removed was a 3" cast Manta dump pipe which was a bitch to remove. The extra thickness of the casting didnt allow the socket to get a clean grip of the nut. Having done it, I would never want to do that again! The mild steel one went on easily as they have allowed room in the design to fit a socket on the nuts.

The ute already had a 3'' exhaust fitted but didnt realise they upgraded the dump pipe also, wouldnt of bought the new one if I had known.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
35 Posts
Mate I have one on this forum for sale, it is a Beaudesert exhaust 3" ceramic coated dump pipe. It was only on the car for 1 month and I changed to a high mount, it is basically brand new.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mate I have one on this forum for sale, it is a Beaudesert exhaust 3" ceramic coated dump pipe. It was only on the car for 1 month and I changed to a high mount, it is basically brand new.
I'm interested in knowing more. Do you know if it will bolt up the the standard exhaust system? Can you please post or pm me some pics.
Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys.
Still wondering if anyone has used the denco dump pipe?

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Price the MTQ DTS pipe with bung- aluminized steel- nice shaped pipe. Dunno how much, but denco looks expensive, as does the evil bay.

I guess you will be upgrading the whole system to 3"? Aluminized steel will outlive you.....Well, me anyway.:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price the MTQ DTS pipe with bung- aluminized steel- nice shaped pipe. Dunno how much, but denco looks expensive, as does the evil bay.

I guess you will be upgrading the whole system to 3"? Aluminized steel will outlive you.....Well, me anyway.:)
I have spoken to MTQ. $250 +GST. Apparently their dump pipe doesn't have a bung for the EGT. They install it in the next piece of pipe. I definately want the probe in the dump. Also the MTQ/DTS dump doesn't bolt up to the factory pipe (which Denco does). I would love to upgrade the whole system at once but that's probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my one came with a bung.

I would wait until you can upgrade the lot.
Yeah I think I will wait and just get someone else to do it all for me.
I'm only going off what MTQ Dandenong said about the bung. Perhaps GQ is different to GU.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,721 Posts
Dylan,

Here's what I've found...............

A couple of years ago I went from the standard system to a 3" Redback exhaust, with an MTQ cast dump on my '99 GU 4.2TD. No bung in the dump, and it was not 3" at the outlet. The Redback inlet matched the MTQ dump outlet, then immediately flared out to 3". I had the EGT probe in the exhaust, about 4" after the dump.

It looked to me like the Redback exhaust was made so that it would fit the standard dump, and the MTQ dump was made to replace the standard dump.

I now have a 3" Beaudesert exhaust, with a Beaudesert cast dump. It is 3" all the way from the back of the turbo. The bung is in the top of the dump, immediately after the turbo.

Apart from the pipe size at the dump flange, the 2 exhaust systems were very similar. Same size/configuration/location of muffler, etc.

I expected the EGT's to go up when the probe was relocated closer to the turbo, but they dropped. The turbo whistle is more noticeable with the BE system. All this says to me is that the BE, being 3" all the way, may be the more efficient.

If I was determined to do a full 3" system again from scratch, I'd get a system that was 3" all the way from the back of the turbo, with the EGT bung in the dump.

But, having been through all the above, I don't know that any of this exhaust modification stuff is all it's cracked up to be. I had mine properly tuned/boosted several years before fitting the first 3" system. The re-tuning made far more difference than any of the exhaust mods. None of them have made any remarkable performance difference to mine. My experience is that a good tune, by a reputable spanner man, will give you much more than just throwing an exhaust at it.

A few weeks ago, out of interest, I refitted the standard exhaust up to the Beaudesert 3" cast dump pipe. It fitted OK, but I flared the leading edge of the original pipe for a better transition. It only took a few minutes with the "persuader". There was no huge drop in performance, perhaps just the slightest edge taken off. EGT's went up a little. A bit quieter, inside and out. I've since refitted the Beaudesert 3" system, just because I have it.

I discussed fitting a 3" exhaust when it was re-tuned, and was told it wouldn't make much difference. Perhaps I should have listened............

Hope the above is of some use...........

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
I have just ordered an Advance Headers dump pipe. It's a single 3" pipe from turbo outlet to under floor. This appealed to me. Normally can't order direct from them except I'm in Tassie where there is no agent, so they sold me one. Will be the start of 3" straight through system.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dylan,

Here's what I've found...............

A couple of years ago I went from the standard system to a 3" Redback exhaust, with an MTQ cast dump on my '99 GU 4.2TD. No bung in the dump, and it was not 3" at the outlet. The Redback inlet matched the MTQ dump outlet, then immediately flared out to 3". I had the EGT probe in the exhaust, about 4" after the dump.

It looked to me like the Redback exhaust was made so that it would fit the standard dump, and the MTQ dump was made to replace the standard dump.

I now have a 3" Beaudesert exhaust, with a Beaudesert cast dump. It is 3" all the way from the back of the turbo. The bung is in the top of the dump, immediately after the turbo.

Apart from the pipe size at the dump flange, the 2 exhaust systems were very similar. Same size/configuration/location of muffler, etc.

I expected the EGT's to go up when the probe was relocated closer to the turbo, but they dropped. The turbo whistle is more noticeable with the BE system. All this says to me is that the BE, being 3" all the way, may be the more efficient.

If I was determined to do a full 3" system again from scratch, I'd get a system that was 3" all the way from the back of the turbo, with the EGT bung in the dump.

But, having been through all the above, I don't know that any of this exhaust modification stuff is all it's cracked up to be. I had mine properly tuned/boosted several years before fitting the first 3" system. The re-tuning made far more difference than any of the exhaust mods. None of them have made any remarkable performance difference to mine. My experience is that a good tune, by a reputable spanner man, will give you much more than just throwing an exhaust at it.

A few weeks ago, out of interest, I refitted the standard exhaust up to the Beaudesert 3" cast dump pipe. It fitted OK, but I flared the leading edge of the original pipe for a better transition. It only took a few minutes with the "persuader". There was no huge drop in performance, perhaps just the slightest edge taken off. EGT's went up a little. A bit quieter, inside and out. I've since refitted the Beaudesert 3" system, just because I have it.

I discussed fitting a 3" exhaust when it was re-tuned, and was told it wouldn't make much difference. Perhaps I should have listened............

Hope the above is of some use...........

Cheers,
Geoff
Thanks Geoff. That's all great feedback. I have been questioning whether $1000 worth of exhaust is really going to make enough difference to warrant the cost. I am still keen to buy another dump so that I can easily fit a probe for EGT. Has anyone drilled/tapped a thread into a standard dump before?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts