Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all.
I've been doing up a TD42T for my young blokes 1st set of wheels.
As you know further you go the more you find,well it's all just about new.
Installing the recond pump we've noticed there's only 1 timing mark on the front pully for TDC and I can only get it to run 1 tooth forward when lining up the 3 z marks on the pump shaft.
When marks are lined up its rattly and blows white smoke,just wondering if anyone has had the same issue.This was found to be the case by my mechanic.
Can an engine be rebuilt with everything out 1 tooth?
Has anyone had to set the pump one tooth out to run.
Cheers Lads for feedback

Attachments

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,387 Posts
Do you run out of timing adjustment on the pump, when the timing gears are aligned properly???

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
I've never heard of this before and expect it is only possible if someone has assembled the front of the engine with the idler gear one tooth out. This will also cause problems with the cam timing. If it were me I'd be pulling the timing cover off.

·
Registered
GQ TD42Ti
122 Posts
As far as I can tell, there are two markings on the front pulley, only when it comes to the In-line pump. I, too, have only one mark on the front pulley (ve-pump), and the gears are aligned as they should be. One Z among the other two.
I had non problems with timing adjustment.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
As far as I can tell, there are two markings on the front pulley, only when it comes to the In-line pump. I, too, have only one mark on the front pulley (ve-pump), and the gears are aligned as they should be. One Z among the other two.
I don't follow you. Are you saying the gear on the front of your pump has one Z and the idler gear has two? I have a normal VE rotary pump that has two Zs on the pump gear and one on the idler gear similar to the OP's but mine has the single Z on the idler gear between the two Zs on the pump gear unlike the OP whose photo shows the single Z one tooth to the side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't follow you. Are you saying the gear on the front of your pump has one Z and the idler gear has two? I have a normal VE rotary pump that has two Zs on the pump gear and one on the idler gear similar to the OP's but mine has the single Z on the idler gear between the two Zs on the pump gear unlike the OP whose photo shows the single Z one tooth to the side.
Hey mate,the z marks are as you I say,2 on the pump side.
The car doesnt run well when aligned to factory specs.with the recond pump

·
Registered
GQ TD42Ti
122 Posts
No no, I meant the markings on the front pulley. The ve-pump has one mark on the front pulley and in-line pump have two for timing adjustment (one for TDC and one for timing).
The markings on the gears are the same on all TD42 engine. One Z mark on idler gear and two Z marks on the injector pump gear. Need to be in the midlle. Not for one tooth forward and not for one tooth back.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,387 Posts
I can only think of two possibilities. As Overboard has suggested, the gear drives may have been messed with, and the idler is one tooth out.

The other possibility is a problem with the internals of the injector pump, but I do not have enough knowledge of pump internals to know if that is likely.

·
Registered
nissan
2,929 Posts
I can only think of two possibilities. As Overboard has suggested, the gear drives may have been messed with, and the idler is one tooth out.

The other possibility is a problem with the internals of the injector pump, but I do not have enough knowledge of pump internals to know if that is likely.
Wont be the pump I suggest.

·
Registered
GQ TD42T ute and GU Duramax dual cab
39 Posts
The Z should be between the two Z Z. if you follow the Z tooth curve back it is one tooth out in your picture...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Z should be between the two Z Z. if you follow the Z tooth curve back it is one tooth out in your picture...
Cheers mate ,we have an issue with the rebuilt pump it seems. I'll know in a few days when it returns and re installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts