Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this being my first factory turbo, I've found the temp climbs within a couple of mins driving to sit over 1/2 temp. It gets up there fairly quickly, so I pulled the rad out and found no antifreeze, and rust inside the rad and hoses.

Replaced hoses, cap, thermostat and got the rad flushed/rodded, but it still sits at the same temp. I didn't change the pump, as it appeared to be fairly new, and when spinning by hand, could see that it was movoing the water.Once there, it doesn't appear to move, so could it be the sender or do I spend money on a new fan clutch?
Does the system require bleeding?

Cheers

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Yes it does require bleeding. You can do it by the book or just pull off the highest heater host at the thermostat.

Sounds like you either need to bleed it or the it has the wrong thermostat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, checked thermostat, appears to be correct (I'm assuming that the turbo/non turbo are the same?). I bled the system, but still the same, got to temp VERY quickly, then sat over half, but didn't budge from there.
Tacho has been intermittant also, so pulled out an instrument cluster from an older GQ and stripped the temp and tacho guages, and put them in this one.

Tacho works with no problems now, and temp sits a 1/4-1/3, same as all my other Safari's. Now, will the temp guage be the same for turbo/non turbo?

Cheers

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Hmmmmm, the part numbers for the "meter assembly-water temperature" are different. I don't know if this means they read different. I suggest you use and infrared thermometer to double check, comparing your turbo and non turbo.

24835-51N00 turbo

24835-32J01 non turbo

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Hang on, I used a '91 non turbo and a '94 turbo for the part numbers. Let me look in to a '94 non turbo.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
I've been able to check up to 9303 and the numbers are correct. I am checking GR and KR not AD (different cluster). Doesn't mean the gauge is different especially since you were able to swap it out. Did the ones you swapped have part numbers? Did they look the same? The tach on my '94 is different than earlier non turbo models.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Certainly looked identical, will have a look for part numbers later today and see if they match.

Cheers

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
The temp on my TD42T comes up faster than the TD42s I have but not speedy. I also have a high temp thermostat on the TD42T.

When you swapped the tachos were they the same in appearance? My '94 turbo tacho is a bit flicky. The tacho unit is different in appearance than the other non turbo and older units I have. The older ones have an exposed circuit board on the back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts