Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 TD42 leaf Ute
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post. I've been doing a lot of reading of the forums and found it very helpful, yet struggling to find a post of basic power upgrades to my 06 Td42t while not wanting to chase big power and remaining reliable. Its the first Td I've owned and understand its never going to be a race car but its flat out keeping up with traffic and struggles to maintain 110kmh in the highway - only done 210,000km to date. any suggestions. So far I've done 3 inch exhaust and gauges, ( maxes out at 10psi). Would ideally be looking at going bigger turbo (16g or 18g) and intercooler next while aiming for approx. 150hp range. (or would this require bigger pump over factory 11mm). Sorry I know a lot of question in one, any help apricated. Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Hi all, first post. I've been doing a lot of reading of the forums and found it very helpful, yet struggling to find a post of basic power upgrades to my 06 Td42t while not wanting to chase big power and remaining reliable. Its the first Td I've owned and understand its never going to be a race car but its flat out keeping up with traffic and struggles to maintain 110kmh in the highway - only done 210,000km to date. any suggestions. So far I've done 3 inch exhaust and gauges, ( maxes out at 10psi). Would ideally be looking at going bigger turbo (16g or 18g) and intercooler next while aiming for approx. 150hp range. (or would this require bigger pump over factory 11mm). Sorry I know a lot of question in one, any help apricated. Cheers.
Hi mate,
My TD42T is also 2006, JC diesel at Narellan played with mine a few years ago - great improvement, i have 3 inch , they altered pump timing ( still standard pump ) and boost is now around 18/19 lbs. i also have 4.3 diffs . Not sure what you have . But cruises easy, tows 2.5t van well.

·
Registered
2006 TD42 leaf Ute
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,
My TD42T is also 2006, JC diesel at Narellan played with mine a few years ago - great improvement, i have 3 inch , they altered pump timing ( still standard pump ) and boost is now around 18/19 lbs. i also have 4.3 diffs . Not sure what you have . But cruises easy, tows 2.5t van well.
Thanks heaps mate, Not to sure what diffs I'm running but tune is Definity in the works. What turbo are you running for that boost, I assume its not the stock ht18. Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
Thanks heaps mate, Not to sure what diffs I'm running but tune is Definity in the works. What turbo are you running for that boost, I assume its not the stock ht18. Cheers
Look at the body plate near the windscreen wiper motor, there should be an ally plate there with diff ratio on it, mine is 4.3.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,180 Posts
I doubt any factory TD42 had 43 diffs. My guess is they would be all 4.11 standard.

Even with a turbo swap I think your standard injector pump will be a limiting factor. It has the variable timing which is not good, and will struggle for fuel delivery. It has done 210,000km so it has had a good run. I would give thought to a replacement.

I would also be looking at a good flat panel airbox to give good turbo response.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Gu td42ti 2005 at around 240000 KMs was upgraded to ufi 18g big top mount intercooler and tuned by dieseltec to produce 155kw and 550 mm torque. All this was done by Dieseltec.
The ute weighs 2950 kgs and toes a trailer at 1.6 tonne empty daily. Now has done 345000 KMs so safe daily tune. It has the original 11mm electronic pump and change fuel filters every 10000 KMs. This may be about the limit of the standard pump. 3" exhaust and clutch were prior to upgrade. Std airbox

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol cab chassis 4.2tdi
52 Posts
I have a 2006 TD42i with around 235000 kms on it and have recently had a 12mm pump fitted, it runs a modified HT18, 3 inch exhaust, JMax air box n 3 inch snorkel. Came back from the shop (Boosted Diesel) with around 145 kw & 560 nm torque. It is super responsive and actually a real pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
4x4nissan
126 Posts
After reading this I’m a little concerned about mine now.
Mines a 2006 wagon, upgraded to cross country intercooler, 18g turbo, 3 inch exhaust and stainless 4 inch snorkel/airbox and I’m only getting 116kw/478nm on 33s with 4.11s
Fuel pump was rebuilt roughly 3 years ago (should have upgraded) but still not sure why mine is so low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,180 Posts
I have a Ti engine in my GQ, so same spec as yours. It makes 200kw, and 750nm.

No mods though, as I like to keep things stock when I can. :whistle:

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are many things which govern performance. Tuners I believe have to balance many things. In my case I asked for an all day heavily loaded tune. It does make a little smoke whilst coming onto the turbo and perhaps waste a little fuel. I cannot drive it at big revs without exceeding 550c on my Deffi pyro guage as I am at 4.6 tonne empty with the trailer.
I very happy with the tune which is what I asked my tuner for.

Every vehicle with differ on tune characteristics and Dyno readouts need to be read carefully with knowledge ( something I know very little about!!!)

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,844 Posts
Mines a 2006 wagon, upgraded to cross country intercooler, 18g turbo, 3 inch exhaust and stainless 4 inch snorkel/airbox and I’m only getting 116kw/478nm on 33s with 4.11s
Just keep in mind that all these mods for better air flow and exhaust efficiency can only make as much power as your pump can provide fuel for. It doesn't matter how much more oxygen you get into the engine, you need to also increase the feed of hydrocarbons to make more power. Stock injector pumps will be a limitation you can't get past regardless of what you do with everything else.

From what I've seen the average 11mm injector pump runs out of puff between 110rwkw and 130rwkw so your 116kw looks pretty much normal. I'd say that 155kw from a stock pump is truly exceptional.

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
I assumed the 155 kw was a typo and it was 155 hp. 116 kw seems to be around normal for a stock TD42Ti pump judging from the various graphs that have been posted over the years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts