Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so going to do a service on my GU, has a factory turbo TD42 and just shy of 400,000 k’s, what oil is everyone running at these k’s? Previous owner was running castrol RX Super 15w40 but couldn’t find it locally at any of the the parts stores, my mate has a TD42 GQ and recons delo400 is the go but wanting to see what everyone else says, had a search and could only find posts from 2013. Cheers!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Any 15w40 will do the job, the brand you choose basically comes down to personal preference, it is more important to make sure you do regular changes of the oil and filters - (every 5k)

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I run 15W40 Royal topline express, Valvoline Engine Armour (not easy to get now) 5k changes, and I've treated last TD with Cerma STM-3 Ceramic Treatment, and have just ordered it again for my current engine to protect and reduce harmonics. If you do order it I can give 20% discount code by PM, I get nothing for that. I've ordered the trans treatment, the nano turbo treatment too it's a while off but so is my next change. I'm running 205 RWKW on an engine with hearly 300k on the bottom end and a fully rebuilt head so I want to protect from it getting lunched, worth the investment as I know this stuff is by far the best thing available after testing additives for a long while

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq ti tb42
39 Posts
I run 15W40 Royal topline express, Valvoline Engine Armour (not easy to get now) 5k changes, and I've treated last TD with Cerma STM-3 Ceramic Treatment, and have just ordered it again for my current engine to protect and reduce harmonics. If you do order it I can give 20% discount code by PM, I get nothing for that. I've ordered the trans treatment, the nano turbo treatment too it's a while off but so is my next change. I'm running 205 RWKW on an engine with hearly 300k on the bottom end and a fully rebuilt head so I want to protect from it getting lunched, worth the investment as I know this stuff is by far the best thing available after testing additives for a long while
I'm curious how do you think an oil additive is going to reduce harmonics?

Mobil delvac 15w40 or delo 400 green label are good oils for a td.
I now use delo as delvac is harder for me to get. But like said above regular servicing 5000k ish intervals and staying with what ever oil you choose will be more important than the particular brand you pick.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I too was skeptical and that's the basis of the scientific method.

to answer you- by modifying the surface tension of the oil, I don't "think" I know.

STM-3stands for surface tension modifier. Go to the site and read the white paper, the independant studies and watch the videos of the bench tests. But more it protects the metal by rebuilding the surface inperfections where whole atom clusters can tear away. This does not fill the bore hone which makes oil stick to side wall of chambers.

This is not a friction modifier like teflon, this product uses nano silicon carbide, known to the aerospace and performance racing industry for years, it's proven techbology. Was developed to reduce harmonics in submarines, to help them be more stealth ! Rockets, top fuel funny cars etc etc.

18% improved economy and longer engine life at higher performance, is nothing to scoff at, worth the $ in my experience if even only for added peace of mind, but for me I want to protect the investments I've made too.

I was quite amazed at how significantly performance was enhanced and the harmonics reduced with 4oz STM-3 in a Td42T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

to answer you- by modifying the surface tension of the oil, I don't "think" I know.

STM-3stands for surface tension modifier. Go to the site and read the white paper, the independant studies and watch the videos of the bench tests. But more it protects the metal by rebuilding the surface inperfections where whole atom clusters can tear away. This does not fill the bore hone which makes oil stick to side wall of chambers.

This is not a friction modifier like teflon, this product uses nano silicon carbide, known to the aerospace and performance racing industry for years, it's proven techbology. Was developed to reduce harmonics in submarines, to help them be more stealth ! Rockets, top fuel funny cars etc etc.

18% improved economy and longer engine life at higher performance, is nothing to scoff at, worth the $ in my experience if even only for added peace of mind, but for me I want to protect the investments I've made too.

I was quite amazed at how significantly performance was enhanced and the harmonics reduced with 4oz STM-3 in a Td42T

Hey mate can you send me a PM, the forum won’t let me as it contains spam like content apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I'm curious how do you think an oil additive is going to reduce harmonics?

Mobil delvac 15w40 or delo 400 green label are good oils for a td.
I now use delo as delvac is harder for me to get. But like said above regular servicing 5000k ish intervals and staying with what ever oil you choose will be more important than the particular brand you pick.

Yeah I agree with that to stay with what you like, as people have warned me to not change oils back and forth. I tried that engine armour as I was recommended it it's older engine suited semi synth oil, I liked it and liked I got it on clearance too now cant get it, anyway I sold that car now.

My ute got a ceramic treatment at 210,000 in every oil front to rear inc transfer case, that was xado brand from Ukraine, only 1000 k's ago the engine was opened up and the bore hone was still there, it's time now to change out the gear box lube so I'm going to go Cerma on it and the STM-3 in the engine cause I love it and just spent quite a bit and don't want to see that extra performance cause me a head ache, eg broken crank !

Aside, as you say change the oil regularly and keep it clean, that's the main thing. I just had to mention I use this stuff and I'm excited to have some on it's way.

I'm going to stick this in my motorcycle too, the manufacturer said I can just use 3.25 oz of the STM-3 to my 4.2 and the rest to my bike or all 4oz in the car but 3.25 is adequate for the size, it's the same product for gas or diesel, never used it in a petrol engine besides my GX35 4 stroke Honda brush cutter, which it completely restored and upped compression does not bog down now. Having said that diesels love this stuff and it really smooths out the vibration noticeably, and increases for 4200 k's or 2500miles till it's fully activated on the contacting surfaces

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq ti tb42
39 Posts

Ok thanks for the reply.

As for 18% increased fuel economy well I have no idea where that percentage was derived from but I call bullshit. 1.8% maybe.

If somehow it could remove 100% of an engines friction which is impossible I don't believe 18% economy increase could be achieved from a health engine.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply.

As for 18% increased fuel economy well I have no idea where that percentage was derived from but I call bullshit. 1.8% maybe.

If somehow it could remove 100% of an engines friction which is impossible I don't believe 18% economy increase could be achieved from a health engine.

*Up to 18 % depending on the engine age etc. Yeah I know it sounds high, and there's always going to be arguments on this subject. The figure came from their testimonials page see for yourself, no I don't just believe everything I read but after my experience I trust it.

I can say I used the product, I recommend it, I get nothing for saying that it's my personal assessment based on using the product and reading the literature, seeing the results.

I know it improved performance/drivability, fuel economy, stabilized vibration/harmonics and for me I'm happy paying the price again for the results, I just did.

I love my engines and always believe in going that bit extra than is necessary, as I value long life and reliability etc etc

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I just did a economy test on my TD42tT running 205 RWHP, 700NM, I will be putting this in when change oil in next two weeks and will start a thread on my data before and after, I dont expect I will get 18% or anywhere near that initially but it will improve.

I have 291 on the bottom end with new head, currently getting; (and am now a second test will drive more easy then take an average of both)

45.6 Liters /
296.2 KM's =0.1539500337609723
= 15.4 Liters per 100
This could certainly be bought lower
This was me driving moderately, some spurts and full boost, but mainly conservative. Mind you 2 or 3 cold starts included and some idling at trafic works and when checking the mail and all that. On a long journey say interstate this would be better, mind you economy is better when months are colder too as more hydrogen in air.

If I get 8-10% I will be stoked, but main reason is to protect the engine and crank really, the economy is a bonus

*the 18% may be using STM-3 products in fuel, engine, gear, and final drive, all would bring up economy compounding, I ordered the trans treatment too so that will be done at same time I change oil. I ordered fuel treatment too but wont use it for ages as pump is brand new, will run it in my tractor or keep on shelf

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq ti tb42
39 Posts
*Up to 18 % depending on the engine age etc. Yeah I know it sounds high, and there's always going to be arguments on this subject. The figure came from their testimonials page see for yourself, no I don't just believe everything I read but after my experience I trust it.

I can say I used the product, I recommend it, I get nothing for saying that it's my personal assessment based on using the product and reading the literature, seeing the results.

I know it improved performance/drivability, fuel economy, stabilized vibration/harmonics and for me I'm happy paying the price again for the results, I just did.

I love my engines and always believe in going that bit extra than is necessary, as I value long life and reliability etc etc
Yeah I does sound very high.

I'm glad you have had success. But I think I'll have to take your word for it.

Will be interesting to see your results.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Thanks buddy. I will see and report my numbers, but it will take 4000 k's and that's about 3 months in this car less I go away.

I'm certainly not here to BS anyone, and I'm not a fool, quite switched on I think.

I knew after I posted that I would get that readction, I meant to put "up to" but you cant edit post after 5 mins. I'm reluctant to get into arguments with people who wont even consider the technology is sound. Many mechanics poo poo aditives out of hand, and care not to do any checking. But when they see the results they go, ah maybe theres something to it, seen this when a old diesel quitens down after they poo poo'ed it. LOL

In amy case will be intersting to see results. Again my main objective is to protect engine, as I said at the outset re harmonics. The economy is secondary nut certainly a motivator.

Over the years I've tried a few aditives, like Slick50 which is overpriced crap, probably not good for an engine.

My main point with Cerma is it's the best stuff I know about, and I think a must for any older engine I own. Putting it in my DR650 too so looking forward to that, has a lot of vibration being a single thumper, only 16,000 on the clock though so just run in (y)

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
im interested in this product as well mate can you pm me some info please . cheers
I might as well start a thread as I was saying. For clarity the vid above is not the engine treatment I referred to but their oil brand incorporating associated technology. I've referred to The Engine Treatment Cerma STM-3 which is the first treatment stage, after thats done you can add the nano turbo which I have but wont use on this untreated vehicle till treated. had it left over from my other vehicle which I never used. Takes a while to understand the process but sure I can explain it soon, will open a new thread in the next day maybe tonight.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Made a thread here

·
Registered
nissan
123 Posts
I can't get Delo400 any more. The Caltex depot selling Ampol/Mobil. I've used Inland Petroleum 15w40 similar price. As said, no need to fuss as long as it's replaced every 5k. It's more of a contaminent flush every 5k. These are 1M km engines?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts