Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going,

My Auto Electrician cant figure out why my rev tacho wont work he has tried everything and he cannot get it to work being a 2.8 it has the three wire plug but has tried every option and none can get it working has anyone done this conversion and got the tacho working cheers its only the revs everything else works fine
Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
he might have to use a booster
most everyday auto electricians have no idea about these fiddly things
ive got a module that I know works when fitting a 5 lt vn motor into an rb28 patrol
so I guess it might work on a td42i

I have 5 different types of modules for getting tachos to work
so most of the time its trial and error

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I put a 2001 TD42t into a '98 rd28 and I ended up using the td42 instrument cluster from the '01. From memory the rd28 has one sensor wire for the tacho which goes to the ecu and then onto the cluster and the td42 has 2 wires. I tried changing the sensor, adding an extra wire and changing the pins on the cluster etc to get it to work. Only way I did was swapping clusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Oh the TD42ti might be different as they tacho may goto the ECU as well??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
ok cool
well without it infront of me to test afew things I cant comment on what is involved
by time someone stuffs around it can easily be 300 bucks to get a silly tacho to work

but it u have a td42i engine and a td42i tacho then your auto elecky has wired something wrong maybye
who did the job and how much did he rip u off hehehe

·
Registered
Nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha nah I don't have the td42 cluster cause I only bought the engine and box but the 06 runs an ecu and I still have my 2.8 ecu

·
Registered
Nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't wear the cost of the auto electrician was included on conversion by mechanic

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
hey mat
I do a lot of this type of stuff
especially stuff where u have to fit a square bar into a round hole hehehehe

send me a pm and we can chat about it

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4.2 td
158 Posts
Hi
Have a close look at your 2.8 fuel pump the tacho feed comes off that as a single wire
if your 4.2 fuel pump has that single wier fine hook it up at the fuel pump
if not check the front of the timing cover the pre electronic motors run a tach sensor in the front of the timing cover both gq 2.8 and all pre 2000 4.2 have this sensor on the timing cover your timing cover will have this hole get a sensor boltit in hook it up in the engine bay i have done this and it worked
Alan

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
if engine has an ecu then signal comes from ecu
if engine is old school diesel then signal comes from tacho sensor on front of motor

then u have 4 cyl and 6 cyl and all sorts of fiddly differences
the stupid 2.8 gu tacho signal goes thru the speedometer circuitboard so u have to be careful
not to fry it, I know from experience hehehe

if its all to hard just take it to your local instrument guys
they should be able to sort it out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts