Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new on here and i have a 2006 gu ute with a td42ti engine. The injector pump had a sticky advance solinoid that has now been repaired injectors were tested as well but in the process of refitting the injectors i think they have shorted the glow plugs because once i got the ute back it was getting harder to start as the engine warmed up. i returned the ute and they found a faulty glow plug module that they fixed. now 2 weeks latter i have blown 2 engine control fuses. i'm not sure how to post a photo but it is the fuse second row from the left second up from the bottom in the fuse box under the steering column. the first time i had driven 30 min so engine was at operating temp. i had just changed gears and the engine stopped. it did not hesitate it did not surge. the second time engine was cool it had driven about 2-3 km and it stopped again after changing gears and accelerating. the thing that has been the same is after i pulled up and turn the key on all the normal lights come up on the dash except glow plug light. i replace the fuse and glow plug light comes on. once i start the engine all lights go out. i had driven about 100-150 km from when the fuse blew the first time to the second time. also the ignition barrel is just about ready for replacing as every now and then when i turn it off it will not turn off just goes to a very low idle i turn key back on the off and engine will shut off.
any advice would be grate full
thanks

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Well the glow system isnt going to have anything to do with the engine shutting off.

Chances are its something messing with the fuel shut off valve weather it is ignition barrel related or bare wire in the engine bay etc...

Once the engine has been running for just a few minutes, it is not even necessary to have the glow plugs on for another start.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Agree only the fuel cut can stop the motor.

Pull the cowling off the steering column. There is a small box about the size of a matchbox but half the thickness. The lid is held on with a fragile clip and some anti tamper tape. It's the immobiliser sensor for the key. There is a process for testing it in the manual, but I'd start with inspecting it and the barrel to start tracing the open wire. Chances are when they fiddled with your glow control unit they messed something up. The rest of the circuit is pretty well protected except that part on the barrel.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
interesting problem. maybe a bare wire near the clutch pedal seeing as how it happened when shifting?

side note what was the symptoms of the faulty advance solinoid?

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Ah ok, mine intermittently rattles when cold. also occasionally blows fuel smoke up hills. Then the next day it wont blow smoke on the same hill same gear etc.
Also roughly 1 day a week it runs on when u switch it off for a bit longer then normal.
All minor stuff but still annoying.

sorry for the thread hijack jedwards, and thanks for the reply DieselTuner

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
i knew a guy who had similar problem
once a week or fortnight he had an engine control fuse blow
i tightened the little metal tabs that the fuse slides into on the fusebox

not sure if that fixed it
or he said something about buying a second hand fusebox from the wreckers
havnt heard back from him in 6 months

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
82 Posts
Hey mate,
I had the same engine cutting out issue too. It started after a auto electrician did some work on it. Turns out to be one of the spade fittings that hold the engine control fuse was pushed in a bit. Causing the fuse to short when driving. Pulled out the fuse box and problem rectified. No issues since.
Cheers Keith..

·
Registered
892 Posts
There is a fuel shut off solonoid too, also there is a air shut off butterfly in intake
I had a faaulty one from new
No fuses but it went to low idle sometimes and wont turn off
Even with replacement it still does this occasionally

·
Registered
892 Posts
Apologies, wrong terminology, dont you mean the EGR??
yes the air shut off butterfly which assists EGR system.
I believe it is used to provide smooth shutdown too - at least the same device is on other similar engines.
Something is wrong so one of these shutoff devices is rooted.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Apologies, wrong terminology, dont you mean the EGR??
yes the air shut off butterfly which assists EGR system.
I believe it is used to provide smooth shutdown too - at least the same device is on other similar engines.
Something is wrong so one of these shutoff devices is rooted.

Yes EGR (iPhone spell check). Many of us have removed that butterfly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts