Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all has anyone had issues with a td42ti clutch slighhtt slip when its cold when taking off? Its fine once warm. Any ideas?
Cheers

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
Stating the obvious, it indicates something is wrong. How many km's has it done??? It may simply be worn out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only brought the car recently was told it had a new clutch in it. But hadn't noticed the slight slip till recently so I feel like it's kinda just happened recently

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Did they have a receipt, unfortunately some of the undercover details can't be checked, I thought it was the other way round and would slip If hot

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,284 Posts
Hi all has anyone had issues with a td42ti clutch slighhtt slip when its cold when taking off? Its fine once warm. Any ideas?
Cheers
Check and make sure the fork has free travel/slack,when the pedal is up,[cold] and again when hot,if so,it would seem the shlippage is a worn driven plate,can't think of another scenario,c'mon Lee,what d'y recon ?When it is hot,stick it in 2nd gear step on the brake and let the clutch out steadily,what happens ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a bit of a look today. I could push the fork in with my hand, is that normal?like it was stiff but I could do it. Also when I let it go it slowly moved back to original position, I thought it would spring back quicker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check and make sure the fork has free travel/slack,when the pedal is up,[cold] and again when hot,if so,it would seem the shlippage is a worn driven plate,can't think of another scenario,c'mon Lee,what d'y recon ?When it is hot,stick it in 2nd gear step on the brake and let the clutch out steadily,what happens ?
If I do that, it stalls lol

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,284 Posts
Had a bit of a look today. I could push the fork in with my hand, is that normal?like it was stiff but I could do it. Also when I let it go it slowly moved back to original position, I thought it would spring back quicker
I'm no weakling,but there is no way I could push the clutch fork in against the cover plate springs,and it should return sharply when pressure is released,so it seems the cover plate is stuffed [ or you are a descendant of Lou Ferrigno ] you are pushing the fork forward towards the engine yes ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no weakling,but there is no way I could push the clutch fork in against the cover plate springs,and it should return sharply when pressure is released,so it seems the cover plate is stuffed [ or you are a descendant of Lou Ferrigno ] you are pushing the fork forward towards the engine yes ?
Yeah mate that's correct, towards the engine..

So I changed the clutch fluid yesterday afternoon, and this morning when cold I have not noticed a slip once..

Could it have been the heat from the exhaust ruining the fluid? I dont have a heat guard around the exhaust there and its a 3inch

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,284 Posts
Yeah mate that's correct, towards the engine..

So I changed the clutch fluid yesterday afternoon, and this morning when cold I have not noticed a slip once..

Could it have been the heat from the exhaust ruining the fluid? I dont have a heat guard around the exhaust there and its a 3inch
Excess heat will destroy fluid,I also have a 3" exhaust,made a heat shield up to fit around,just allows air flow and deflects heat,even a few mm clearance will make a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excess heat will destroy fluid,I also have a 3" exhaust,made a heat shield up to fit around,just allows air flow and deflects heat,even a few mm clearance will make a difference.
Awesome sounds like the go. Any chance you could show me how you've done it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts