1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Folks,
Wondering if you can help me?
I have viewed alot of topics on here about noises in there TD42, but none seem to relate to the cold start issue, nor have I been able to hear the same noise on another TD42ti Patrol.

I have a 2004 TD42ti Patrol, and makes this metallic clack whenever it is started cold. Goes away once the motor has warmed up.
Motor has done 283,000K's, Injectors where replaced by previous owner with reco units sourced from PatrolaPart and no. 1 was replaced with a new unit. Have invoice in glovebox. Was done at 275,000. Starts first turn of the key every time, but occasionally get a bit of run on when turned off. No faults reported by ECUTalk either.
Here is a video comparing cold and warm: Patrol TD42ti Cold Start Engine Noise - YouTube

I don't know if my mind is playing tricks, but I swear I can hear this same noise, albeit a hell of a lot quieter when the motor has warmed up...

Have checked and adjusted rockers to specifications using feeler gauges. Did a diesel purge last night, seems to have made it quieter when warm but no change cold, installed a lift pump and replaced filter. Has been serviced Religiously by previous owner every 7500K's and documented.

Is this a normal noise for these when cold? I have a friend who has a GU with the same TD42ti motor and his doesn't make this racket when started cold, hence my concern.

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently using Ryco Z9 oil filters - Oil light disappears pretty much 1 second after engine starts...

And Using Penrite HPR Diesel 15w 50.

I had some oil light issues prior to changing to the above, it had some non-name brand oil filters on it, changed those out with the Z9 and the new oil, noticed it ran quieter (When Warm) and oil light going out almost right away on hot/cold start up.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Currently using Ryco Z9 oil filters" - I don't know why I just put that there...

Using the Ryco Z503 Filters.....Sorry.

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
I'd would run a engine flush additive and change to a high detergent oil like Castrol RX Super 15w/40
But you will get a lot of different opinions here

And as above check the TCV
More likely the TCV

·
The Cable Guy
Nissan
4,775 Posts
There is a cold start advance on them which is taken from your coolant temp. Could be a minor issue there. I haven't watched the video you posted though.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Everyone, I'll check the TCV solenoid on the weekend, have read a fair amount on here about it, so will follow the test procedure I found here.

I'll also check the Coolant sensors as well, hopefully it's something that easy...

Appreciate the feedback so far...

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Yes sounds like a timing issue, regardless of oil unless its honey it shouldnt do it.

Does it start ok? The only other thing I would say is its getting air somewhere while its sitting

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Gassed.

It generally starts within a cycle or two of turning the key. Gives a noticeable gruff with a bit of smoke out the back when it first starts up, but never had a starting issue where I have had to crank more than a second or two....

·
Registered
nissan
252 Posts
Maybe try a lighter oil ? I run 5w30 Synthetic
Try what SYDO suggested,
I had the same thing with mine, was using/trying Nissan filters, Ryco Z503's & Z9's with 15w & 10w oil in different combinations....
Mine didn't like it! Running Ryco Z503's & Penrite 5w40 extra10 semi synthetic full zinc
now, after advice from Scottmeister here on the forum whom is a pretty switched on bloke.
Stopped the early morning/cold clackes & also the high cold altitude clacks/noises I was
getting at full operating temp. Don't know all the science behind it & I wouldn't dare get into it!(not my fort'e), But after all the adjustments, ecutalk & experimenting, this is the recipe that suits MY vehicle.
Only stating my findings!
patrol 4.2ti.jpg

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I to had an annoying clacking noise with mine recently. I must admit it wasn't as loud and regular as yours sounds on the vid but it to seemed to get quieter as the engine warmed up for some reason. It drove me nuts for ages. I was for ever under the bonnet in the morning with a mechanics stethoscope trying to locate it. I had almost given up. A couple of weeks back I noticed my air con belt was a bit looser than I liked so went to tighten it up a bit. What do you know I found the belt tensioner bearing had a lot of play in it and was on the way out. Replaced it and no more noise. I don't think this is your issue, but worth a look. Good luck. I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Everyone,
First real technical post on this forum and the help is awesome.
Seems I'm going to be busy tomorrow...
I'll post my findings as I go.
If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
479 Posts
If the tcv was stuffed I don't think that noise would go away when warmed up. Maybe just the sensor the ecu looks at for the cold start?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
2 Posts
Hi all this is of interest to me as well. I have an 04 patrol as well and it has made that rattle since new. Very different to my first one 2000 model non inter cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well spent the day going over the motor and checking all the electrical systems and the rocker gear etc.
Pulled rocker gear off and inspected, was perfect, no peening at all of rocker ends and rocker shaft had no visible wear and felt very smooth when I ran my fingers over it.
Reassembled and started motor after rechecking all valve clearances. Still same noise, cracked each injector one at a time and still didn't get rid of it.... So started, one by one, disconnecting sensors, TCV valve made a very noticeable difference in engine rattle, clearly defined I would say, but that clack was still there, even with TCV disconnected.... Engine temp, needle sensor and crank angle sensor all made a small difference in engine sound, but still main noise didn't leave.

I swear it is injection related as it's clearly around the injectors and pump. I had a bit of run on at one stage when I turned it off today and this does happen on random occasions now and then and I occasionally get a light amount of surging, could the pump or injectors be an issue? I was of the understanding that these pumps either work or don't, but I would guess that they would tire over time and pressure to the injectors could get low.......(Clutching at straws maybe..?)

I guess I can try the oil next as suggested or maybe consider a Reco set of injectors?

Would a dyno show any symptoms you reckon?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
To rule out the tcv connect 12v directly to the solenoid and listen for a nice click, start it up and have a listen if the sound is still there it is probably something else. (12v on the solenoid will give full retarded timing)

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
The injector pump can be a very noisy beast, are you the noise is not coming from there?

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts