Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I am looking to tap into the diesel supply to run a diesel heater. I can:
1 tap into the main fuel line.
2 tap into the fuel return line.
3 drill a hole in the top of the tank and drop in a line.
4 tap into the line from the sub tank to the main tank.
My question is: is there a pump inside the fuel tank or does the motor suck the fuel?
Other comments welcomed such as would the motor pump suck through the diesel heater pump and introduce air bubbles.
Cheers

Russell
2004 GU Ute.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
Your vehicle in standard spec does not have an in tank or lift pump. It only has the injector pump to do both jobs.

I would be very reluctant to make any additions to the engine fuel delivery. My suggestion is that you keep it separate.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Hi Guys
I am looking to tap into the diesel supply to run a diesel heater. I can:
1 tap into the main fuel line.
2 tap into the fuel return line.
3 drill a hole in the top of the tank and drop in a line.
4 tap into the line from the sub tank to the main tank.
My question is: is there a pump inside the fuel tank or does the motor suck the fuel?
Other comments welcomed such as would the motor pump suck through the diesel heater pump and introduce air bubbles.
Cheers

Russell
2004 GU Ute.
I would just mount a 10ltr tank separately you should have enough room on the ute or under tray yeah?

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,124 Posts
I would add a lift pump to the main fuel line and tee off to a tap immediately after the lift pump.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
I just drilled Into the fuel sender unit and inserted a standpipe for the same purpose in a GQ. I’m pretty sure you could also T off the fuel line intake but I didn’t really want to introduce any potential problems into the vehicle fuel system.

·
Registered
nissan
161 Posts
After a quick google, I found this.

Using a simple solenoid fuel pump (seems to be self priming...) and just run a new line into the tank. I expect you could take this feed from the existing fuel supply line, however you want to be very careful that there is no possibility for air to be pulled into the circuit by the IP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As above . But dont just drill anew hole into the top of the tank. It will introduce other issues.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys. I am tending towards a standpipe. Someone else said they tapped into the fuel return line. This would be safer than the main fuel line, but how does it continuously get fuel? Does the return line drop into near the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
Thanks Guys. I am tending towards a standpipe. Someone else said they tapped into the fuel return line. This would be safer than the main fuel line, but how does it continuously get fuel? Does the return line drop into near the bottom of the tank?
No, it goes back into the top of the tank.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
From memory there is a breather hole at the top of the return line inside the tank which would stop you from drawing fluid back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts