Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4.2l 2006
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 td42ti wagon and am looking at upgrading the intercooler. Looking on ebay and the HPD coolers look identical to the cheap Chinese ones for half the price. Can anyone shed some light on the HPD or Chinese coolers? Are they any good? Does anyone have pics of the Chinese ones?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
I have a china cooler set up on mine came with everything but brackets. cooler is quit thick aswell. holds pressure and haven't had any problems yet

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Not to knock any product but you can actually buy the hpd coolers out of china very cheaply.
Even have hpd cast into the tanks just like you buy here in Australia.

They still work pretty well though.

Cross country are different, made in Australia and use PWR cores thus the price and wait for delivery.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4.2l 2006
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking at. I don't mind paying the extra money for the good quality Australian made cooler. But couldn't understand the price tag on the HPD ones when you can buy the same thing for half the price. Truth is I can't justify the money for a cross country cooler for what I want to do.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
bang for buck... any front mount will stay cooler than any top mount imho after owning a CC cooler. Wouldnt spend that kind of money on a top mount again. Wouldnt own one again either.

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
My 4.2td radiator struggled to keep my car at safe running temps in summer, mainly in low range, theres no way I'd put an intercooler in front of it. Not keen on the extra long piping either, I'm trying to reduce lag. I'll be going custom topmount using pwr core. CC is a good cooler for people that can't fab things themselves, they're overpriced.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Augo, that was my train of thought aswell, using a smaller turbo i didnt want to add more piping

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
A half decent front mount you would lucky too see a 2psi drop. Matched with a well thought out turbo and its pointless even thinking about the lag

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
I agree with gassed on that. Lag wouldn't be noticeable IMHO.

Don't get me wrong. Top mounts are great. At least for the first two squirts of the throttle. I just never liked the massive heat soak it had. Not so much if you're moving air through the scoop. But if you do a lot if city driving it can be a pain regardless of fan. Maybe a water spray or injection would fix this.
I had a fan sensor in the cc cooler set at 50deg for the fan to start and it was almost on constantly.

With a w2a or front mount the temp would be stable at a much lower temperature. It's all a personal thing.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
I Have the HPD top mount with 14" Spal fan set at 50c and have never heard it come on yet. Is it quite noticeable when it comes on ?

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
I Have the HPD top mount with 14" Spal fan set at 50c and have never heard it come on yet. Is it quite noticeable when it comes on ?

Doesn't change the fact that mine did!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
600/300/70 pwr.
Tight fit and there is quite a few options for fitting locations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts