Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a stock intercooler on my TD and it sounds noisey. It's got a 3" exhaust and the boost on the standard turbo has been turned up by someone. It was like this when I bought it a few months ago. I don't have gauges installed yet so don't know how much boost there is.

What's it do.. When I accelerate and the boost comes up and it starts to make forward progress I can hear a very distinct sound which sounds like it's coming from the intercooler. generally from about 2,100 rpm onwards. It definitely throttle related. As soon as I lift my foot a bit, it stops.

It doesn't sound like a leak, it's not a hissing sound. It's more of a wheezing, sucking type of noise. Like air rushing around in a big empty chamber, a bit echoey I guess. Even like someone with asthma trying to talk.

There's no obvious damp patches (oil residue) around the cooler that I can see.

It does change sound with bumps. Not sure if it something flexing or bouncing under the bonnet or my foot bouncing a tad that alters the sound.

If it is leaking and I think that's probably what it is, any tips on where to look first?

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
How many kms has it done. Iv seen a couple of the factory ic's pretty blocked up with oily crap.
Maybe pull it off and have a good look at it. You might find something else while your doing that.
At least get a boost gauge and see what it's doing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's done 163,000 km. I've got a VDO boost gauge at home, just waiting for my pillar pod to turn up so I can mount it up.

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Is the standard blow off bung still fitted in the manifold or intercooler? This could be blowing off causing the massive air rush.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does this look like BeNos? Where a outs on the cooler or manifold would it be located?

If it is there, do I just remove it and put a plug in??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts