Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From here

"A 14-year-old boy was killed last night after being struck in the head with the hook of a towing strap.

The incident occurred in bushland off Dundowran Road, 15 kilometres west of Hervey Bay, about 7.15pm.

It is understood the teen was with a group of people towing a car when the strap snapped sending the hook at his head.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The local boy died from severe head injuries at the scene.

Police have declared his death non suspicious and will prepare a report for the coroner."

Tragic and preventable death.

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
Very tragic, this is something that i could see may catch a lot of people out, same as snatch recovery from tow balls etc.

I must admit, it is only because of the knowledge ive acquired from this, and other 4x4 forums, that i now would endevour to get all passengers far away from the cars involved in "any" recovery.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
Yeh, approperiate snatch points, dampers, catch ropes, and not using those crappy ropes with hooks on them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Agreed with AB4 and nethergate.

It is always very sad to here about these tragic incidents, but it comes down to usually lack of knowledge and experience if people use the incorrect recovery(not rated) point or equipment i.e. old dodgy straps ect.
I feel sorry for this and everyone's family whom loose loved ones in these circumstance but we all need to relise that it is not a safe practice when doing any recovery

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Poor bugger, my prayers go out to his family and friends. Makes me think, after so many recoveries i have become a little lax with my safety. You just get so used to it you can forget it is actually has the potential to be dangerous. Hopefully we can take something from this poor little fellas passing and stop more terrible incidents like this.

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
Very sad, it's a shame that the young blokes are mostly involved in these accidents.. maybe it's the cost of QUALITY gear that is causeing this? dunno , it is quite expensive to set your rig up with good quality safe recovery gear.. Tragic loss.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
ok, am I missing something here? ok, they were using a rope with hooks instead of decent gear, but, hooks are attached to each car and rope snaps, broken ends of rope go flying, yes, but where does the flying hook come from?

·
Registered
558 Posts
ok, am I missing something here? ok, they were using a rope with hooks instead of decent gear, but, hooks are attached to each car and rope snaps, broken ends of rope go flying, yes, but where does the flying hook come from?
maybe they joined it in the middle or where they hooked it too slipped

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i put it down to journalists knowing stuff all, i assumed the recovery point failed, but yes it has enough details for ur average non 4x4 reader, im keeping posted for the follow up story where the cops make a statement which is hopefully more accurate and detailed

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
only plus to this i can add is, at least he died doing some thing fun. and hope fully it was a fast pain less death, poor fella

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Makes me think, after so many recoveries i have become a little lax with my safety. You just gMakes me think, after so many recoveries i have become a little lax with my safety.
Complacency breeds decit:rolleyes:. With all the health and safety training and knowledge we have gained from our workplaces, why is this not carried over into our recreation. I know I do. I may be a little anal on safety on hard core dangerous trips, but everyone comes home alive, can't say the same for the trucks.;)

I have seen this happen a few times. Recovery hook bolts are weaken or hook weakened. Strop pulls hook off, bolt break, hook comes flying at you. And this is rated, decent gear. I had one miss my leg by two inches as the d**kheads went ahead with the recovery without listening to the recovery leader. Newbies:rolleyes: I replace all chassis/ bar bolts, tow hook and bolts every two years for this very reason.
Al

·
Registered
nissan patrol
13 Posts
only takes a second and this can happen, my 13 year old brother was standing near a recovery in process and the recovery point gave way. the snatch strap hit my brothers upper leg and snapped his fema. after seeing that i take soo much care in any recovery and bought a ""black snake "" snatch strap.

·
Registered
nissan
1,039 Posts
Its a very sad thing thats happened. The unrated recovery point ( tie down point ) failed. The track they were in was very boggy, Almost undriveable after the amount of rain we had. A bloke off our local forum was there and thats what he has told us would be a very very hard thing to have seen and now have to deal with.

Cheers
Jamie

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
A mate of mine got stuck and joined twoo straps together with a rated D-shackle.
The one strap tore at the shackle and sending the shackle with the strap thrue the back window and into the fire extinguisher in the back at the base of the seat.
You could fit a fist in the dent in the extinguisher.

He learned the hard way to shield the tow straps with a blanket or similar, fortunatly no one got hurt just his ego.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
A mate of mine got stuck and joined twoo straps together with a rated D-shackle.
There's another one to learn from. Better to just loop them. If you are concerned about getting them apart you can use a small branch to stop them binding up.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Its a very sad thing thats happened. The unrated recovery point ( tie down point ) failed.
Cheers
Jamie
Is that confirmed Winga or is it unknown until a coroners report?

It's tragic and doesn't get much worse than that!!! My condolences to his family and if only we could turn back the clock to prevent this tragedy.

However...there are several recovery threads on Patrol 4x4 that list posts stating that the unrated (front & rear) TOWING hooks are used (supposedly without any issues) as RECOVERY or snatch points.

This young fellas demise means it's way past time time to help and educate people better...maybe this thread should be linked to the recovery threads concerned, just by way of a post link would do. My STRONG 2c.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts