Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Patrol 4x4 Admin
nissan
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of ideas are put forward for forum modifications through emails, PMs, in assorted threads, etc.. It makes it difficult to keep a track of everything so if you have an idea, this is now the thread to post it in if you want it considered..

For example if you want another forum section, know of a good addon, think photos are too big, want new icons etc then post it here.. Chit chat will be removed..

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Way too many sections now. Classified has some good features, but is not as easy to browse as it used to be, it's actually put me off it.

I think that there are way too many features... garages, albums, communities..... keep it simple, keep it small, keep it useful!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
852 Posts
i tend to agree with marin its very confussing on the front page. also i think in the classified section that the posts need to be smaller maybe evan like before with just the one line.
other then that its all going well

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,295 Posts
I am with Marin on this

I reckon the main menu has too many options and has spread the activity a little thin.

In the past i could come on and check out what was going on with a few clicks. 20 active threads under each of the sections and i could get on and have a quick look and be gone or be active, what ever.

Now there is only a couple of active thread in each section, some sections will not be active week to week. so allot of time is being spent on the menu page looking for action.

Dunno?? The way it was was efficient.

Some of the stuff i like allot but the spread is a little concerning. Part of what makes this forum such a winner is the level of activity everywhere, dont do anything that makes the activity look less than it is.

I am on another forum that has menus very much like the sub menus you have created and it can get a little dull because the activity is lost in the sub boards and cant be easily found for fresh input.

Maybe everyone is doing the same thing i am doing?? dunno. I did notice after the crash that there were many that sat back coming to terms with how much was lost and not really wanting to reinvent the wheel again. Very disappointing that, man there was some top class threads that were lost in that crash.

But the activity was thin on the ground for about a week after that.

dunno, just my initial thoughts, take them for what they are. I aint going anywhere.

Cheers to you guys.

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
I am with Marin on this

I reckon the main menu has too many options and has spread the activity a little thin.

In the past i could come on and check out what was going on with a few clicks. 20 active threads under each of the sections and i could get on and have a quick look and be gone or be active, what ever.

Now there is only a couple of active thread in each section, some sections will not be active week to week. so allot of time is being spent on the menu page looking for action.

Dunno?? The way it was was efficient.

Some of the stuff i like allot but the spread is a little concerning. Part of what makes this forum such a winner is the level of activity everywhere, dont do anything that makes the activity look less than it is.

I am on another forum that has menus very much like the sub menus you have created and it can get a little dull because the activity is lost in the sub boards and cant be easily found for fresh input.

Maybe everyone is doing the same thing i am doing?? dunno. I did notice after the crash that there were many that sat back coming to terms with how much was lost and not really wanting to reinvent the wheel again. Very disappointing that, man there was some top class threads that were lost in that crash.

But the activity was thin on the ground for about a week after that.

dunno, just my initial thoughts, take them for what they are. I aint going anywhere.

Cheers to you guys.
Yeah I'm with these guys as well I liked the classifieds as they were... There is a few to many now...

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
i agree with there being alot more main headings now...
and yes, some are very active and some are not very active..

over the last few days, ive been doing this..
i normally come on several times a day, for breif periods rather then a huge time.

i check the threads that i want, and disreguard the others that im not interested in.
at the end of the sesh, i click 'Mark Fourms Read' down the bottom..
so the next time i come on, i can see where the new posts are,
and dont have to sift through what i have already disscrguarded and what i havent..

it wasnt really a huge habbit to get into..

added a pic for reference.

Attachments

·
Patrol 4x4 Admin
nissan
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Classifieds

In relation to the classifieds, there were many many complaints about it's previous structure.. The location should be in the title, wish I could see the price, can't find what I'm looking for, etc.. The new set-up also provided a simple means to have a set format - many people previously seemed to have their posts removed etc as they did not follow the format as set out by Big GQ.. So the new classifieds has those issues all sorted for the most part.. There's also a lot of people that like the new section, so there's no turning back..

In relation to too many categories in the classifieds, I can try and modifiy the script to allow for viewing it by top category as well as sub-categories.. so essentially you would have 4 top level categories that you could click on and it would show all the ads from the sub-categories in that top level category.. Meaning you could view it in a similar fashion to before if you so choose and those after something specific can head to the relevant section instead.. Keep in mind there's already an option to view all the ads from the entire classifieds grouped together if you prefer, as well as all ads from last week etc.. So if you want less categories, you can view them all as one category (although it looks like layout of that is a tad out of whack at the moment)..

In regards to the layout of ad displays at a category level, this is not set.. So ideas such as smaller photos, less description, more ads per page etc are still being considered..

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
i tend to agree with marin its very confussing on the front page. also i think in the classified section that the posts need to be smaller maybe evan like before with just the one line.
other then that its all going well
I'd third that.
Would also like to see general chat drivel section at the top again, to stop everyone posting **** in the wrong sections.

·
Patrol 4x4 Admin
nissan
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thread Titles

The ability to edit a thread title is time based.. You can change it for the first 5 minutes after you've posted and then it locks itself.. I can extend this time but need to know the reasoning behind editing first so I can get a balance.. It would have made a lot of sense before with the classifieds for marking an item as sold, but the new classifieds you just click the "sold it" option and it does this anyway.. So what other use does editing it have and how long do you require in terms of time?

The reason I ask is that thread titles makeup the url's (ie. http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/forum-news-28/tell-us-your-ideas-57007/) so to edit it changes the url.. That means if someone links to it, someone finds the page through a search engine, etc the link will now be broken.. A lot of editing of titles could add up to a lot of broken links over time..

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
- Could we be able to change the colour scheme, becuase I really don't like red.
- Could be have a library of reference material. ie pictures, videos and documents on specs and how-tos
- I don't think albums and garages need to be seperate, I think there could be a Garage, Trips Album and everything else can just be put in threads.
- With the general chat thread, could that be an Instant Messenger type add-on.

·
Registered
nissan
758 Posts
- With the general chat thread, could that be an Instant Messenger type add-on.
I have seen forums with an addon that is actually that. There is kind of like an inbuilt IRC that runs all day. Would need mods that are logged in most time or **** could get out of hand, depending on who can post etc etc

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,367 Posts
Somewhere, at the front door to this whole forum....

NOOBS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

DO A SEARCH FIRST!!!!

Or something to that effect,

OR

A thread that only Noobies and moderators can post in, to help them out ask questions and generally learn how things go until they have 5 posts. Im afraid the house keeping sometimes is so frustrating( no fault of mods or admin). So much crap everywhere, questions that have been asked fiftybillioneleventy times.

Rant over.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
A "FREE" or "GIVEAWAY" section
That dont require to run along the template thing

Maybe we as "trollers" on here could sort of report a stray thread
(wrong section,asked a gazillion times)

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
marin said:
Way too many sections now.!
I must admit I always thought having a forum in seperate sections for each thing would be the best way to do it making it easier to find shiz. Maybe cause Im not specifically searching for things at the moment doesnt help..
Maybe time will make it better, but at the moment I'm not sure I like it.

I also say a ZD30 section/bible under GU for those oh no turbo/head/hole in piston has happened, what are my best options/what engine swap is easiest/cheapest would be a useful addition..

·
Registered
nissan
1,727 Posts
Curious - what happened to that feature where you held your mouse (pointer thingy) over the thread and it popped up the first few lines of the thread content? That was really useful.

·
Registered
nissan
1,727 Posts
Curious - what happened to that feature where you held your mouse (pointer thingy) over the thread and it popped up the first few lines of the thread content? That was really useful.
Mmmm, that's odd - it's doing it now :confused: all good.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.