Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Which mobile provider is best overall for reception, data and cost for plans?

• Optus

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Telstra

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • Virgin

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Vodafone - lol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.1%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at nearing the end of my mobile contract with Optus and looking at upgrading from my Iphone 5 to new plan + phone.

Question:
Is Telstra superior in reception and data speeds in city/rural areas to justify the extra expensive over Optus?

:coffeeti:

·
Registered
nissan
3,857 Posts
When I moved to toowoomba optus was crap. I have optus again here in brisbane. The pre paid I am on gives me better value than telstra. However, I spend a lot of time outside city centres and in rural areas. Optus does not cover most rural areas well. If telstra gave me the same options as optus does with my pre paid I would go back to telstra. My work phone is telstra and I can get reception almost anywhere. Optus is hit and miss most of the time.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I use and will always use Telsra although sometimes I think I bend over for the privilidge.. I have their blue tick phone.

Some years ago on base camp at Nymagee, I was the only blue tick Telstra owner. I had a line up out my room door for the lads wanting to ring their wives/girlfriends as I was the only one with coverage.

When it comes to coverage and contacting home...I dont fark around.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
After travelling to all the QLD sand islands and seeing the only people with service are those with Telstra, I changed over, I can have service while the other family members can sit next to me with none (one has the exact same ph), tried Vodafail, Optus, and Virgin.

With the other providers ive had great deals to use my ph as a modem for my laptop when away from home, but ive always struggled to get reception.

On Telstra, ive now got great reception, but still don't use the PC as much as I planned, because ive had big problems with data costs and billing, as they are pretty much designed to make go "over" your allowed amount without your knowledge, then slug you with extra charges etc.

I used to hear about how teenagers racked up $1000 ph bills and think ,no way they would not know they are spending heaps, but after being with Telstra for only a few months, I now fully understand how the system seems to be designed to allow this to happen.

Im just waiting for my plan to be up, then im going pre-paid (still with Telstra), then they cant over charge me without my knowledge. :)

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Telstra has the best reception , don't know about costs.

Cheap cost with no reception is useless!

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,676 Posts
I travel all over Australia and the amount of places that Telstra works where Optus and others have no reception is ridiculous. I could not work without a Telstra phone. (Cost is irrelevant if you HAVE to have coverage) If you are in a big city it would not matter.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
After not wanting to pay telsra prices and hopping between all the other main providers I eventually found Aldi mobile :) The Aldi service uses Telstras 3G network (no good for 4G) and is also cost effective. It is a pre-paid service however you can elect for monthly packages and auto-buy so it keeps ticking along uninterrupted.

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
Go BOOST, Telstra backed, $40.00 per month, auto or manual recharge, unlimited text and talk, 2GB data allowance, no plan.

Screw the rest...................

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Download the Telstra 24x7 app,and Telstra one, after that there is no excuse for going over a plan or anything like that.

I don't have that problem as I'm on the 130 "unlimited" a month plan and have been for centuries :), and I hammer it 24-7 and claim that on tax ( up to 92%)for work purpose.

horses for courses, but when communication and being in contact is a must, there is no substitute. Also plug it into the next G aerial astride the Patrol bullbar when deep deep. It hasn't let me down yet.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Telstra! And I've had less hassles with them than Optus

·
Registered
892 Posts
Our company did a change to optus, most regret it, coverage is patchy, even close to towns, reverts back to old telstra when 900 optus drops out
Boost and others dont share the next G network i dont think

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have a samsung galaxy s4 on telstra which has good reception. I also have a car kit for it with an antenna on the roof.
I also have a satellite phone which is on optus. That thing will get a signal anywhere... the auto tracking noddy antenna is wickid...

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Im with telstra always have been because they have coverage just about everywhere.

Except where I decided to build my farm, have to stand on the 2nd rail of the back fence on the highest hill to get one bar on a clear day as the nearest telstra tower is about 25kms away. Optus built a tower down in dayboro about ten k's away and service is awesome.

This isnt the sticks in porbyville either either, this is literally 45mins to the brisbane CBD on freakin millionaires row..

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
I am a Telstra dealer, but I have a virgin phone plan. It depends what you need. Coverage, lots of data, cheap price.
Personally, the wife and I are virgin so we get free calls to each other, and it's a bit cheaper.
If you want coverage, Telstra. Data, optus.

I will say this. Telstra have a bonus 500mb or $500 of calls on offer for a while, so that might sway you as well.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
i use optus prepaid $2 days,unlimited calls ,txt,mms and data and i flog it hard .its my work phone.it tethers to my tablet and since i can see the optus tower from my lounge chair its nearly as fast as the broadband cable.telstra has the best reception but i have been analy raped by them in the past and will never pay them another cent

·
Registered
Nissan
532 Posts
yes i have always had telstra and yes it is more expensive but by far the best coverage bar none, just came across the nullabor and had coverage about 80% all others zero coverage from ceduna to perth basically

·
Registered
nissan
406 Posts
You pay for telstra but without it what use is having a phone.
I can see Melbourne cbd from my house but still only telstra gets signal. In the bush its the difference between getting signal at the top of some hills and getting signal when your half way home.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts