Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else seen this on Superiors site: http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/index.php?pag_id=5680
Telstra fleet has chosen to use Superior Engineering's steering components
to replace the factory Nissan Y60(GU Patrol) steering rods.
Due to a weak point in the factory drag link at the point
of the damper bracket weld, Telstra has started to retrofit our draglinks on their Patrols
This problem was brought to their attention by a factory drag link that failed on a vehicle whilst being driven.
Telstra Fleet purpose built a test road and has done all the relevant and extensive testing
on our Superior draglinks, and was very pleased with the quality and strength of our steering rods.

Wonder who's meant to be fitting them? Superior dealers or Nissan dealers? I hope they're fitting the comp spec ones because some of those fleet drivers give those trucks an absolute flogging.
I wonder what their purpose built test track looks like. I bet it's a paddock full of tree stumps coz that seems to be what their drivers hit the most.:D

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Always nice as to see its an edited piece of work.

GU is a Y61

btw I have superior comp spec draglink and tie rod

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
be good if Telstra did a complete test and FIX on the front end wobbles as Nissan cant seem to get it right ! May be Nissan should get Telstra to re- engineer the front end.
Umm hang on Telstra cant seem to keep my internet working. ?! Telstra doesnt own Nissan or visa versa does it?

·
Registered
nissan
11,119 Posts
agreed superior do make good gear my car is basically all superior bar the springs. but i wonder if nissan brought out a recall after that incident as i bet there are plenty of non fleet vehicles that are driven just as hard as those things.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
"This problem was brought to their attention by a factory drag link that failed on a vehicle whilst being driven."

I doubt he was driving down the street when it happened. If it was I would be fairly sure it was flogged offroad at somepoint recently

·
Registered
nissan
152 Posts
Telstra are strange; they bought one awning off us, and we didn't think much about it. Two months later they ordered a massive amount in one go.

My courier had a tanty. :)

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Telstra self insure and are quite into OH&S, so they would see this as investment in safety and the awnings may be for guys to site underneath while working on the side of the road.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the Superior products. I just bought the macaval tie rod and drag link for mine and they look sweet. My death wobble is gone too.

Always nice as to see its an edited piece of work.
The info from the Superior site showed up 3 times in the post for some reason. Good thing that edit option is there.

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
I work for Telstra, but don't have one of the Patrols (Ford Ranger).

What I have heard they need to change, is to stop using split rims, and tubed tyres. That gets a lot of complaints.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
I work for Telstra, but don't have one of the Patrols (Ford Ranger).

What I have heard they need to change, is to stop using split rims, and tubed tyres. That gets a lot of complaints.
Telstra have Leaf Patrols, they come with splits and no flares. Splits are better for work/farm utes as can repair out bush and Telstra goes into pretty isolated lands.

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
Telstra have Leaf Patrols, they come with splits and no flares. Splits are better for work/farm utes as can repair out bush and Telstra goes into pretty isolated lands.
I doubt telstra would ever let a worker change a tube in a split rim themselves, far too dangerous.

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Does Telstra have problems with the Rangers rolling over? I heard the NSW cops are trialing Navaras because too many Rangers are being rolled.
I haven't heard of any, and I'm sure it would be in our health and safety notices. Mine feels pretty stable, although I think the square box on the back could be better designed.

I also agree, we wouldn't be changing tyres on the split rims. Possibly in very remote areas, but most of the time we wouldn't have the equipment on hand.

The cab chassis patrols, generally carry two spares.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts