Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my latest bill last night with a letter saying that I am going to be charged per minute rather then 30 second. I called them up about to complain and I was told I could do nothing about it even if I wanted to leave I would have to pay cancelation fees. I looked at my bill and this means that I will loose $50 of my cap a month! I called the telecommunication ombudsman and lodged a complaint and have to wait and see what Telstra comes up with.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
sorry to tell ya mate,

but this was so last years news, its been on telstra's list of things to do for ages!
they are also increasing there flagfalll i beleive.

im glad my work pays for my mobile :D

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
surely thats changing your contract, so shouldnt you have the option to opt out?

otherwise whats stopping them changing it to $50.00 a minute?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
surely thats changing your contract, so shouldnt you have the option to opt out?

otherwise whats stopping them changing it to $50.00 a minute?

Agree, maybe he should read the fine print in the contract, there must be a clause there to cover this eventuality

I'm seriously considering changing, have been with them since Adam was a boy (loyalty, not returned), their shares (of which I unfortunately own a couple of thousand), are as worthless as the company now.

Had a line problem a few weeks ago, think I was put on hold at every call centre in the known universe, fortunately the guy that came eventually was really nice, sad, I almost wanted to hate him as much as Telstra.

Damn they ***s me off.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Id also say breach of contract too - unless there is a clause that says they can change the rates etc.

Many years ago, when i actually had a mobile phone (im one of the few that chooses to live without a mobile), i had a prepaid Vodafone.
One of the selling points was that the credit lasts a year - you dont forfeit it at the end of every month.
So i filled it up with credit and probably 6 months into it, there was none left.
I hadnt used it all but it had gone.
Rang them and asked why - they had changed their policies and credit would be forfeited at the end of each month.
They did this to all Vodafone phones so they essentially got a heap of free money for doing nothing.
I complained, they said tuff so i told them to shove it.
I also made a complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman and so must have a heap of others too.

6 months later, i get a letter in the mail from Vodafone saying that they had breached their agreement with me (that the credit would last a year) and that ALL unused credit would be returned along with the same amount again on top.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Many years ago,i had a prepaid Vodafone.
I complained, they said tuff so i told them to shove it..
<snippaged>

Gee, Vodaphone shafting people.. nothing changes ever!

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Yes they do have a clause saying they can change. Went thru this few yrs back with telstra. Spent hrs on the phone to find out bend over and take it and if you don't like it then go else where.. So I very rudely told him to shove telstra fair up his butt and went off to optus. Not sure how they go about changing to billing in 60sec increments tho. Good luck with it tho.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I'm with davway. Don't use a mobile phone. Do have one in the car tho' in case of emergency. Costs about $20 a year. Not sure tho' because son pays for it along with his mobile. Suits me. I buy him a beer from time to time as compensation. So far I reckon he's quids ahead on the deal

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I have the crappy 3 on a $99 cap & only use it when I need to (not very often), & with a minimum monthly spend of $10 if I dont use it much is good value to me.

So how do you go with the landline then, Telstra or other?

For me I use Valuetel.

Heaps cheaper than Telstra, and they dropped the 24 month contract down to 12 months, as well as giving me $80 free for the first month :D :D :D.

clip_image002.jpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
moved to 60 sec charge time.

Mongrels.........

However we have a free call to home from the mobile and mobile to the home phone.... so we just make lots and lots of call between the two.

Under the car, need a drink, no yelling out, phone the wife.....

Something of interest on radio, just ring it through....

Time for tea, wife just picks up the phone and calls, no more yelling.

Kids are going out and need to ring back to home, you guessed right...

As for phoning a friend..... nope..... txt will take 186 characters for 25c and no flag fall.

So, if Telstra want to move the goal posts.... OK..... I will play the side line.... talk time is for essentials and txt takes over.

Asked what was the difference between Peak and Off Peak...... answer - nothing, it is all the same price costing, call it what ever you want....... the wording is there just in case you would like to know when you made a call ( what a load of bull )

Only 14 months to go and then it's good bye... bye bye and I won't be back.

And what about Bigpond?????........Grrrrrrrr. Promised better than 20Megs/sec speed and speedtest returns less than 9kb/s. Not enough speed to open a web page, or e-mail etc....just all times out..

Hold onto to your hat if you think this crowd will be any different with NBN......

Arhhhh........ My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked the contract and they can make minor changes. I think because they are not changing the billing rate they can get away with it. If I can prove that I will be affected more then minor I can break contract. I had a look at my bill and about half of my 200 calls a month are in the 1st 30s. So that means it will cost me about $50 a month of my cap. See how I go.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I just had a chat to Telstra. They'll increase my cap and data significantly if i sign up for a longer contract. I suppose i'll be happy with that.

Was on a 79 cap with $450 worth of calls. Paying $40pm for my phone and going over my cap meant i was paying $160pm... this'll come down to $90pm with a 32GB iPhone and $750 calls with 2GB downloads. Good deal?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
They have ya over a barrel. They know that they are the best provider coveragewise, and that people will stick with them. Makes me feel like ditching them TBH but I need cood coverage. >:[

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
They have ya over a barrel. They know that they are the best provider coveragewise, and that people will stick with them. Makes me feel like ditching them TBH but I need cood coverage. >:[
In some ways I have felt sorry for Telstra (I know, give me an uppercut), but fast losing that feeling. My Sister in law is with Vodaphone and she has no reception when they holiday up at Hervey Bay, WTF yet they claim to cover this big % of the population, that's because they only cover the places the majority live, in the cities where it"s easy.

Not sure about now but up until recently if you lived in places like Gove etc, Telstra were the only supplier, so the alternative companies didn't have to put in the expensive infrastructure and maintain it.

Wouldn't P*** on Vodaphone.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
G60 Rock Crawler said:
Nothing, until a compay comes in and starts building stuff we all have to use Telstra.
So Telstra could theoretically start to charge $150 for 30seconds, and nobody with a contract could do a thing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts