Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid idea.

But has anyone designed a gauge/system to monitor the temperature of your brakes?

V8 supercars have em, and i'm thinking it'd be good to know how hot they are, cause then you could back off before they go all spongey.

I'm constantly thinking about wether or not i'm being to heavy on my breaks.

And it's an excuse for another gauge, for those of you that love to have gauges littered all over your dash.

TF

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,370 Posts
Don't worry mate. You drive a 4.2 so it is unlikely that you will ever get fast enough to heat up the brakes.

High preformance cars don't have them. They would be a waste of time on a 4WD.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Its official.. after 43 years, I have now heard everything.

·
Registered
902 Posts
V8 supercars have em, and i'm thinking it'd be good to know how hot they are, cause then you could back off before they go all spongey.

TF
If your brakes are going spongey you need to fit quality pads and replace your brake fluid.

If you are serious about having a gauge you could take apart a laser temp gauge and use the internals. I don't know how they would go with md though. Not many V8 Supercar drive through mud:roll:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Haha - laughin my ass off now. I was just wondering what glue Truckster was sniffing when he started the Guage for Sunvisor thread, made much funnier now I've found the background. I'm not knocking your query TF, but having read Truckster's response it puts some perspective behind the other thread!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
in all seriousness I've seen it before, but its pretty much pointless.
it was a thermocouple on the backing plate of the pad. it was for data logging, not for the driver. It helped them determine when the pads were close to needing replacement on some kind of endurance race.
Also high end brake kits have colour coded paint on the edge of the rotors, the bands change colour with temperature. But who's going to look? it's more of a marketing thing, also if you cook the last band then you dont have any warranty I suspect.

If you're on the anchors that hard that you are concerned about heating them then you will be too busy to be looking at the gauge.

So you're going to back off, to let them cool are you? then what, run into the back of the truck in front so you dont overheat them?

When the rotors are glowing bright orange they are hot.
If, when you stop, the rotors look blue, then they used to be hot. Replace them, repack your wheel bearings and next time be nicer to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts